Windows 10: Problems with ASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller

Discus and support Problems with ASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; HI, was hoping someone might be able to help me out. I have a desktop with two 3.1 (gen 2) ports; one each of type A and C on an ASMedia host... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dlcpe, Dec 16, 2020.

1. dlcpe Win User

Problems with ASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller

HI, was hoping someone might be able to help me out.

I have a desktop with two 3.1 (gen 2) ports; one each of type A and C on an ASMedia host controller. Plus a number of USB 3.0 (gen 1)ports. The 3.1 host controller has the latest driver (10.0.19041.662 - nov 2020) and also the latest firmware (mobo bios is out of date however).

The problems come up when connecting a USB mass storage device (Asus enclosure + Samsung M2 NVME) directly to the USB 3.1 gen 2 ports on the motherboard. I am getting several errors on both USB 3.1 gen 2 ports:

A yellow exclamation point in device manager, under the controller, stating:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) The USB device returned an invalid USB device descriptor.
    When this happens, the SSD is not usable.

If I uninstall the USB enclosure and restart, the USB drive will occasionally work in the USB / C port, and register transfer speeds of close to 900 MB/S, but it has several issues when it works: (1) extended system freezes plus (2) the following error logged in event viewer:

The IO operation at logical block address 0x0 for Disk 4 (PDO name: \Device\000000a6) was retried.
    When I am momentarily able to see the SSD, SMART data is showing incorrect information via the USB 3.1 port (it shows temps of 3000*C, incorrect symbols for information and 0 r/w usage and power count).

I also got one BSOD the first time I plugged this thing into the USB/A 3.1 gen 2 port: stop code: system service exception
    What failed: FLTMGR.SYS
    Things I've tried so far:

My desktop also has type A and C USB 3.0 ports (Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible controller) and everything works fine, no issues, except that the transfer speed is capped at the USB 3.0 limit of 5 Gbit/s (so real world 440 MB/S).

I tried the USB enclosure in a different PC with a USB 3.1 gen 2 port, and it works fine, no errors logged, and it gets close to 1,000 MB/S transfer speed. SMART data is also correct.

I also tried plugging the SSD into the PC directly via PCiE and the SSD works fine, no errors, no system freezes.

I also tried three different USB 3.2 cables, all same issues (except the USB A cable is worse in terms of I can never see the drive.

I also tried uninstalling the host driver and updating, no change.

Im not sure where to go from here. Perhaps a motherboard issue? Or other thoughts? Sorry if I don't respond right away, going to sleep and then busy day tomorrow but I will be coming back here later tomorrow or I guess today now.

This box says I need to include my windows version number: Windows 10 (20H2)

:)

dlcpe, Dec 16, 2020

2. asmedia usb3.1 eXtensible host controller

I have a ibuypower bb931 computer and recently had this issue come up my device manager says device unknown

code 28 I've searched the net for the drivers for it and cant find them its one of my asmedia usb3.1 eXtensible host controller I need help finding drivers

jamesthomas17, Dec 16, 2020
  3. Windows 10 update bootloop with ASMedia Technology Inc - USB - 8/29/2016 12:00:00 AM - 1.16.38.1.

There is no asmedia usb host control driver listed on there but after looking on device manager there is a USB serial bus controller labeled "asmedia USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller" using a driver version 1.16.28.1 dated 10/09/2015 that is provided
    by asmedia technology inc and signed by Microsoft Windows hardware compatability publisher.... If that helps

CasanovaCrow, Dec 16, 2020
  4. Problems with ASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller

Driver ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller (Microsoft) causes crash with error SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Whenever I install a driver called ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller (Microsoft) version 1.16.28.1, my computer crashes upon restart with stop error code SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. Anyone else have this problem? Also, Microsoft, can you
    make a newer version of this driver fixing this? If it helps in any way, My computer is an ASUS M11BB desktop computer.

Moved from Windows 10

Original title: Driver problem. fix it, Microsoft!

EricSmith_778, Dec 16, 2020
Thema:

Problems with ASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller

1. Problems with ASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - Similar Threads - Problems ASMedia USB

2. USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller Driver Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller Driver Problem: Hello,I have a Problem redarging USB-C Port When I'm Trying to Connect my External SanDdisk SSD to the USC-C port it's not showing up in the Device Manager or in the Disk Management but the same SSD has a USB 3.0 cable and it's is working just fine.This is a Screenshot...
  3. USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller Driver Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller Driver Problem: Hello,I have a Problem redarging USB-C Port When I'm Trying to Connect my External SanDdisk SSD to the USC-C port it's not showing up in the Device Manager or in the Disk Management but the same SSD has a USB 3.0 cable and it's is working just fine.This is a Screenshot...
  4. USB-C latancy issue Asmedia USB3.1 extensible host controller

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB-C latancy issue Asmedia USB3.1 extensible host controller: When I connect my usb-c sound interface Audient ID14 directly into the USB-C port behind the PC the sound interface works but the software for it called ID mixer has great latency, for example when I turn the volume slider or clicking somewhere I have to wait 2-4 seconds...
  5. USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller vs USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller Windows 10

USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller vs USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller Windows 10: I have a Dell laptop that uses the3.0 eXtensible host controller which I use to control my filter wheel on my telescope. It has worked fine for 3 years. I just bought a new HP Envy laptop whihc has the 3.1 eXtensible host controller and the filter wheel works for a few...
  6. USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller problem

USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller problem: I have a new HP Envy x360 with WIFI 6. I cannot connect to iTunes with any Apple device I own. iPhone Xr, iPhone 4S, iPad AIR, iPad AIR 2nd and 4th gen. Latest iPad Apple support had me try multiple tests, they cannot locate any issues, Apple case #101228548743. HP says...
  7. Problem with VIA USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - Microsoft

Problem with VIA USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - Microsoft: So lately, this device seems to be freezing, causing me to lose control of my keyboard. The keyboard powers off. If I try to disabled/re-enable this controller, the computer completely freezes up in a fatal error, and has to be restarted. In which case, it will work for a...
  8. USB Asmedia usb 3.0 eXtensible host controller - 0.96

USB Asmedia usb 3.0 eXtensible host controller - 0.96: Hello, I want to try updating the driver on my PC, but I can't find this driver available to download. I've checked the compatibility of my PC with Oculus devices and the only thing that is not ok is USB 3.0. I'm not sure what to do with it, maybe anyone knows what to do...
  9. USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller problem

USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller problem: Hello, I just don't know where to start. I'm trying to fix this issue for a week now and can't figure it out. My USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller is missing rom my device manager list. It's hiden when i got no usb flash connected to it. As soon as i Connect something to...
  10. USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller problem

USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller problem: Hello, I just don't know where to start. I'm trying to fix this issue for a week now and can't figure it out. My USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller is missing rom my device manager list. It's hiden when i got no usb flash connected to it. As soon as i Connect something to the...