Windows 10: Problems with boot menu, how to add and remove items?

Discus and support Problems with boot menu, how to add and remove items? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have only win10 installed, and one system drive. By accident I boot from win8 dvd, and now win8 appears in boot menu. I tried to remove it in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Acronis, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Acronis Win User

Problems with boot menu, how to add and remove items?

Hi, I have only win10 installed, and one system drive.
    By accident I boot from win8 dvd, and now win8 appears in boot menu.
    I tried to remove it in msconfig, deleted and rebooted, but it reappears.

Also I tried to add safemode options to boot menu, I followed tutorial and used command prompt and bcdedit,
    safemode option appears in boot menu but it doesnt work, it only reset my machine and boot to win10, it doesnt go to safemode. This is how bootmenu look, but only win10 works.

Problems with boot menu, how to add and remove items? [​IMG]

How to remove all other items except win10, for good?
    msconfig dont work as they reapprear.

How to add safemode item, so it can really work?

:)

Acronis, Oct 4, 2015
  2. Andre Da Costa, Oct 4, 2015
  3. SICK WINDOWS 10 PC Help me with it & now its replacement?

I guess I should have searched on how to remove the Macrium boot menu item that I'd added. I found it easily at

http://forum.macrium.com/Topic29.aspx

It says "In any case, to remove that boot menu option, run Reflect in your normal Windows environment and select
    Other Tasks -> Add Recovery Boot Menu Option ... from the Macrium Reflect's top menu bar. From the pop-up dialog box, select "No Menu" which I see as the top thing in that 2nd image that I showed you in my last Reply.

Jeff A. Davis, Oct 4, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Download: Visual BCD . Install and run it, if you get an error popup, just ignore it. Expand the "Loaders" branch on the left pane. click on an item you want to delete then click on Delete button. See screenshot
    NOTE: Yours will show 4 entries: Windows 10, Windows 8 etc...

topgundcp, Oct 4, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    *Thanks.. I can use that as well.
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Oct 4, 2015
  6. Acronis Win User
    Thanks, it worked, I deleted obsolete items from that screenshot.

It also shows this items, vista, win7,
    they dont appear in boot menu when i rebooted,
    I guess it is safe to delete them?
    Are they affecting the speed of windows?

Also, how to safely add windows10-safemode item in menu?
    VisualBcd offer me to add vista/7, xp, linux item, not win10.

Acronis, Oct 4, 2015
  7. topgundcp Win User
    Yes, it is safe to delete the orphan entries (Win 7 & Vista)
    IMHO. It is better if you just enable F8 function key so you don't have to select which one to boot from. Just like in Windows 7.
    See screenshot.
    One single command to enable F8: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
    To disable F8: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

topgundcp, Oct 4, 2015
  8. Acronis Win User

Thanks.

Tested, bootmenu works OK! f8 and safemode works.

Acronis, Oct 4, 2015
  9. topgundcp Win User
    Great. Glad we could help and please mark: SOLVED to help others.

topgundcp, Oct 4, 2015
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    BTW,.. that tool is just what I needed.. thanks for posting the link.
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Oct 5, 2015
  11. topgundcp Win User
    You're welcome Jeff. Glad that you could use it.

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Problems with boot menu, how to add and remove items? - Similar Threads - Problems boot menu

2. How to Add or Remove Items in All apps on Start Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Add or Remove Items in All apps on Start Menu in Windows 10: [ATTACH]The Start menu keeps evolving with the release of new builds or feature updates for the Windows 11/10 OS. PC users have the ability to customize the Start menu to their preference, like adding a folder to the Start menu and more. In this post, we will show you how to...
  3. How to add an item in the rightclick menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to add an item in the rightclick menu: I want to add an item in the rightclick menu, such as open command prompt here, when I click on a folder. How should I archeive that? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-add-an-item-in-the-rightclick-menu/6e343c06-711b-4070-aafc-ed00f225d5f4
  4. How to Remove Unwanted Menu Items

How to Remove Unwanted Menu Items: I have 30 laptops we use in our school environment. I want to reduce the visual distractions for the student on the Start menu. I have been looking for a way to remove "Settings" and "Windows Security" from the User Menu. These are not located in the two places that I know...
  5. How do I add items to the start menu?

How do I add items to the start menu?: I've purchased a bunch of games from Good old Games, which puts the games in a folder called gog.com with each game in it's own folder. This is fine for Windows 7 and earlier, but the Windows 10 start menu combines all those subfolders into one big folder. There are a dozen...
  6. add items in menu Start

add items in menu Start: Hi to whom it may concern. I know how to insert one icon in Start Menu or in application bar but I don't know to insert VLC media reader icon in the list of Apps at left of Start Menu. Could you tell me how to do it? Thank you and Best Regards, Dario...
  7. Removing an item in Language menu

Removing an item in Language menu: In Windows 10 I want to remove the language menu "Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan) United States-International K...". Could anyone tells me how to do it? TIA [IMG]...
  8. Add or Remove Items in Send To context menu in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Items in Send To context menu in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Items in Send To context menu in Windows How to Add or Remove Items in Send To context menu in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 You will see the Send to context menu when you right click on a file or folder in Windows. The Send to context...
  9. How to add items to the EXTENDED send-to menu?

How to add items to the EXTENDED send-to menu?: So it seems the extended send-to menu actually shows LESS than the standard send-to menu. I'd like to make them mirror one another and with the way I have send-to currentlyh configured, the only item that shows up in the extended menu is mail and my iphone (if its...
  10. How to Add Items to "Most Used" menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Add Items to "Most Used" menu?: Dear experts One of the benefits of Windows10 that returned back from Windows7 is the Recent Menus. Unfortunately, this feature is associated with the "Most Used" section in the Start Menu. As most users, I used Office application frequently, Word, Excel, PowerPoint,...