Windows 10: Problems with bootable System Clone on USB-SSD

Discus and support Problems with bootable System Clone on USB-SSD in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; For years I tried to get a running Windows system with all installed software that is bootable from USB, it never worked. Then came Microsoft with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by TechnoMax, Mar 3, 2019.

1. TechnoMax Win User

Problems with bootable System Clone on USB-SSD

For years I tried to get a running Windows system with all installed software that is bootable from USB, it never worked. Then came Microsoft with Windows To Go, but this supports only a few special USB sticks.
    The mini solution I then found is WinToUSB that at least can install a fresh Windows 10 system on any external USB drive that can boot.
    And then I ran into EaseUS ToDo Backup that promises bootable clones of a running Windows system with all its programms and drivers, all that I wanted. To my surprise this really works, so far I have produced several PCs clones to the cheapest USB-SSDs that I could get these days. (It did not work properly with USB sticks.)
    But the laptop of my wife ist the only Windows PC that could not be cloned this way. Probably because of a strange partition layout from previous repair sessions and reinstalls.
    So far I have this work around: I made a VHD backup of the laptop system partitions, installed a fresh 1803 (not 1809, that probably would not work) on an external USB-SSD and in this new Windows I installed VMWare Player 15. I made a new virtual machine in this USB drive Windows and copied the VHD into this and changed the hard disk link of the VM to this VHD (not VMDK). This gives a working external Windows system but MS Office asks for reregistration. The EaseUS clones are real duplicates of the parents Windows installation an inherit the Windows activation as well as the programm keys.

What could I do to get a running EaseUS clone of this particular notebook too?

:)

TechnoMax, Mar 3, 2019
  2. Agility Win User

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Mar 3, 2019
  3. How to make a clone disk bootable?

My hard drive didn’t want to boot so I used Macrium Reflect 7 Free and made a clone of the hard drive to a USB external drive. Unfortunately I didn’t manage to boot my device from this cloned, external drive. I decided to install Macrium Reflect
    7 Free on the SSD to use it as a clone of the external hard drive. Now I have a bootable SSD and a non-bootable clone of the drive and I need to restore everything that
    I had on the drive before the crash. Please, how can I restore the system?

masareismasareis, Mar 3, 2019
  4. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Mar 3, 2019
Thema:

1. Problems with bootable System Clone on USB-SSD - Similar Threads - Problems bootable System

2. SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either: My laptop was a Dell Inspiron N5110 from 2011, it was old but did what i needed it to do. To bandaid it over the years i removed the old hard drive and installed a 512 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD SATA connection with Windows 10 which was leaps and bounds faster. After years of...
  3. SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either: My laptop was a Dell Inspiron N5110 from 2011, it was old but did what i needed it to do. To bandaid it over the years i removed the old hard drive and installed a 512 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD SATA connection with Windows 10 which was leaps and bounds faster. After years of...
  4. SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How do I make a bootable cloned ssd.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I make a bootable cloned ssd.: I have a pretty old computer. An hp pavilion prebuilt desktop from 2011. It has a very old hdd with more than 400gb. I bought a 240gb Kingston ssd from amazon. I tried to install windows 10 on the ssd but because the computer is old it didn't work. Can anyone please tell what...
  6. How do I make a bootable cloned ssd.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I make a bootable cloned ssd.: I have a pretty old computer. An hp pavilion prebuilt desktop from 2011. It has a very old hdd with more than 400gb. I bought a 240gb Kingston ssd from amazon. I tried to install windows 10 on the ssd but because the computer is old it didn't work. Can anyone please tell what...
  7. clone SSD to usb question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    clone SSD to usb question: if i clone my ssd to usb what can be done with the cloned info ? 1 - lets say my ssd dies can i buy a new one and install windows then plug in the usb and clone from it ? 2 - lets say my laptop dies and i buy a DIFFERENT model can the usb cloned info go onto it or wont...
  8. Cloned SSD suddenly stopped being bootable

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloned SSD suddenly stopped being bootable: I'm trying to wrangle an 8 year old pc into a decently-usable state. Sequence of events: 1. Cloned Windows 10 Pro 64-bit from HDD to SSD. 2. Bios was being weird about letting me into the boot options, so eventually I try disconnecting the HDD. 3. Success! SSD boots into...
  9. Clone system to an external bootable USB / SSD (Wintogo system)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone system to an external bootable USB / SSD (Wintogo system): Hi folks while Ms seems to be deprecating the Windows to go idea (currently its only officially available when "Certified" devices are used and you use Windows enterprise you can easily make a Windows to go from any Windows edition -- the problem is that most of the Free...
  10. Clone system to an external bootable USB / SSD (Wintogo system)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clone system to an external bootable USB / SSD (Wintogo system): Hi folks while Ms seems to be deprecating the Windows to go idea (currently its only officially available when "Certified" devices are used and you use Windows enterprise you can easily make a Windows to go from any Windows edition -- the problem is that most of the Free...