Windows 10: Problems with computer waking up when I don't want it to

Discus and support Problems with computer waking up when I don't want it to in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings--I'm hoping someone here can help me with three possibly related problems with my Windows 10 laptop. The problems: (1) my computer wakes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by crabbygardener, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Problems with computer waking up when I don't want it to

Greetings--I'm hoping someone here can help me with three possibly related problems with my Windows 10 laptop. The problems:

(1) my computer wakes itself up randomly despite my best efforts at telling it not to let ANYTHING but the keyboard or power button wake it up
    (2) the mouse wakes up the computer despite my telling it not to
    (3) the computer sometimes falls asleep after only a few minutes of inactivity (when plugged in) despite my settings telling it to wait 45 minutes before going to sleep.

First, a few pertinent facts: I am using a Toshiba Satellite L70-C laptop running Windows 10 Home. I purchased it in November 2015, and it came pre-loaded with Windows 10 (it never had Windows 7 or 8). Intel Core i7-5500U 2.40 GHz processor, 8 GB memory. When I first started it up, the Windows Setup Thing indicated at one point that it was running Windows Updates, so I didn't manually check for updates once Windows was up and running (I usually have done so with previous machines). So I ended up changing some Windows settings and installing programs, etc. before Windows Update ran for real--at which point, the major update KB3105211 (the Version 1511 update) was installed. (I wonder if that's related to some of the problems I've had with this machine, so I thought it'd be good to mention here.) My mouse is a Logitech M510 wireless mouse with Logitech SetPoint software (Control Center version 6.67.83, Driver version 5.90.41).

I am not entirely sure when this issue started to happen--right out of the box or after the 1511 update or sometime later, but if it was sometime later, it was not very long after--a few days at most. And the problems have persisted after the 1607 update.

Current settings/what I've done to attempt to solve this problem (nothing has worked):

Device Manager
    - Found everything that had a "Power Management" tab and unchecked everything that was set to "Allow this device to wake the computer" EXCEPT "HID Keyboard Device" (notably, there are a number of things under "Human Interface Devices", and some appear to be duplicate entries but don't have a "Power Management" tab

Power Options in Control Panel
    - Turn off display after 3 minutes on battery/10 minutes plugged in; put the computer to sleep after 7 minutes on battery/45 minutes plugged in

- Sleep > Allow Hybrid Sleep > On for both "On battery" and "Plugged in" (but same symptoms when these settings were both Off)

- Sleep > Hibernate > Never for both "On battery" and "Plugged in"

- Sleep > Allow wake timers > Disable for both "On battery" and "Plugged in"

- USB settings > USB selective suspend setting > Disabled for both "On battery" and "Plugged in"

Toshiba System Settings
    - I disabled two "Sleep and Charge" settings (Description of #1: "Enable this option to use USB power supply via USB port when the computer is in sleep mode, hibernate mode or shutdown mode"; Description of #2: "Enable this option to use Sleep and Charge or the Music Function when the computer is running off battery) (Note: when I plug something into a USB port, I often still get a "Sleep and Charge is ready" notification for some reason)

- I disabled "Panel Open - Power On" (Description: "Enable this option to resume or turn on the computer automatically when the display lid is opened")

- "Wake-up on Keyboard" is enabled (which I want) (Description: "When this is enabled, the machine will power on from sleep mode by pressing any key")

- I disabled "System ON CDP Charge Mode" (Description: "Enable CDP (Charging Downstream Port) to use rapid USB charge while the computer is powered on")

- I disabled "Wake-up on LAN" (Description: "Enable/Disable Wake-on-LAN (WoL) from shutdown. Supports Magic Packet Technology. Please use the network device properties in Windows to enable/disable Wake-on-LAN (WoL) from Sleep and Hibernation.)

Task Scheduler
    - I went through every task that was scheduled and unchecked the "Wake the computer to run this task" checkbox for anything that had it selected. There were only a small number (including two .NET Framework tasks)

I have tried using powercfg -lastwake, but it has never yielded anything useful. When I intentionally move the mouse, the results are as follows:
    Wake History Count - 1
    Wake History [0]
    Wake Source Count - 1
    Wake Source [0]
    Type: Device
    Instance Path: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9CB1&SUBSYS_F8301179&REV_03\3&11583659&0&A0
    Friendly Name: Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)
    Description: USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller
    Manufacturer: Generic USB xHCI Host Controller
    (Note that in Device Manager, “Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)” does not have a “Power Management” tab.)

Hitting a key on the keyboard yields:
    Wake History Count - 1
    Wake History [0]
    Wake Source Count - 1
    Wake Source [0]
    Type: Fixed Feature
    Power Button

When the computer wakes itself up (while on battery power or while plugged in):
    Wake History Count - 1
    Wake History [0]
    Wake Source Count - 1
    Wake Source [0]
    Type: Fixed Feature
    Power Button
    powercfg -devicequery wake_armed shows "HID Keyboard Device" as the only hardware device that can wake the computer.

powercfg -waketimers shows "There are no active wake timers in the system."

There may be a few more things I've tried that I'm forgetting.

Also good to note:
    - the computer does NOT wake up when I touch/click the trackpad
    - the computer wakes up with mouse motion OR randomly on its own (without key or mouse action) whether it's plugged in or running on battery and whether the wireless is on Airplane Mode or not
    - the computer still randomly wakes up by itself if the USB mouse receiver is moved to a different USB port or if the receiver is unplugged entirely
    - the mouse still wakes up the computer if I move the receiver to a different port
    - I have wondered whether there's some setting(s) that look like they're set the way I want them to but are actually incorrect in the registry or something, but I don't have sufficient knowledge to know everywhere to look to find out

====

Does anyone have any further ideas? It's getting a little maddening--not so much when the computer is just sitting at my desk, but more so when it's in my laptop bag for an extended period and turns on, with inadequate ventilation and the hard drive spinning with the computer moving around while I walk/drive/put it down/etc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have!

:)

crabbygardener, Nov 26, 2016

2. My laptop getting burned up because of windows update

The PC is waking up from Hibernate. I always leave my application open and I want it to be ready when I turn the PC on. And the computer is configured to wake up in task scheduler, in NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot. I unchecked the "Wake
    computer to run this task" and disabled the schedule every time this happens. And after a windows update, it is enabled and the checkbox is back on by itself. This is insane, like I don't have control of my computer.

Please don't treat this problem as a temporary one because this is not happening only to me, but I see lots of people on Google having this problem too. (search "pc waking up at night updateorchestrator")

It's okay if there is some kind of dialog box or message telling me it needs reboot, instead of doing things by itself at the really inappropriate time.

Red Romanov, Nov 26, 2016
  3. After the recent update my Windows 10 HP laptop doesn't wake up from sleep mode

I also wanted to mention that when I put my laptop to hibernate instead of sleep and want to wake it up, there is the same problem - pressing the power button doesn't wake the laptop. So I have to keep it pressed until the power button's led light goes off
    and then press it again so that it powers up. But unlike after waking up from sleep mode, when my laptop wakes up after hibernate all my files and open webpages are there, and I don't have to restore them.

Thank you,

Govsiya

Saragosa777, Nov 26, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Problems with computer waking up when I don't want it to

dalchina, Nov 26, 2016
  5. Thanks for the reply! I looked over each of the links you sent me; I've seen a number of those threads before (as well as others), and most don't apply to me unfortunately (I don't have TeamViewer, for example, and nothing but my keyboard is set to Allow to Wake). I did see a couple things that I haven't tried yet, though, so I've given them a try and will see what happens. For posterity, I'll post here if I discover something that works (in case someone else has the same problem).

I'll also search for "wakes randomly"--I don't think that was one of my exact search terms when I first searched the forum.

In the meantime, anyone else have any suggestions?

crabbygardener, Nov 27, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Check Task Manager. There are events like anti-malware, updates that can wake the system up. Sleep is not meant to be a replacement for leaving the system on 24/7. When you do not plan on using the computer for extended periods, shut it down. Only if you leave it for say a half hour to an hour, then it is fine to leave it on. More than 2 hours that you do not plan on using, shut it down. Otherwise you are causing your electric bill to go up and risking data loss if the system does not properly shut down.

bro67, Nov 27, 2016
  7. You might try checking bios/cmos settings to ensure your manufacturer hasn't included settings for sleep and wake functions. It's a long shot, but it would explain the values set within the OS being overridden.

BeebeYourself, Nov 27, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Easier to just pull the Powercfg Energy report and find out what IRQ's are makitit come out of S3 state. Anything in the bios in UEFI mode, gets reported directly to Windows 10.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Problems with computer waking up when I don't want it to - Similar Threads - Problems computer waking

2. wake up computer when is power off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wake up computer when is power off: Hello.I have schedule a task so my computer every day is wake up after hibernation.My computer was to shut down from yesterday and it didn't wake up.The schedule is at 7:35 pm and usually the computer wake up at 7:40.This is not happens tofay.Should wait 1-2 minutes more or...
  3. wake up computer when is power off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wake up computer when is power off: Hello.I have schedule a task so my computer every day is wake up after hibernation.My computer was to shut down from yesterday and it didn't wake up.The schedule is at 7:35 pm and usually the computer wake up at 7:40.This is not happens tofay.Should wait 1-2 minutes more or...
  4. Display wakes up when computer sleeps

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Display wakes up when computer sleeps: Hi When I put my Windows 10 desktop to sleep the display keeps waking up every 50 seconds or so even though the PC remain in sleep. After the display have been awake for about 10 seconds it turns off again. Any ideas? Kind regards Mikkel Mortensen...
  5. Computer waking up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer waking up: For the past 7 days when i got a pc 1 or 2 weeks ago, it keeps turning on bu it self every day at 5:55 AM. I tried everything i could to stop it and it failed, any tips? submitted by /u/Zylenlox69 [link] [comments]...
  6. Laptop wakes up when it wants

in Windows 10 Customization
    Laptop wakes up when it wants: I get my laptop to sleep every night but then, in the morning, I find it is not in the sleep mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-wakes-up-when-it-wants/6fea81ea-6062-4cad-9f18-1d7d2d077b77
  7. waking up computer

in Cortana
    waking up computer: when i wake up computer i get running dots in cortana and browser search box continually , why is that ? or what can be done not to have that ? i usually do ctrl alt del and just choose cancel--then it stops...
  8. Problems waking up the computer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Problems waking up the computer: I have had problems waking up the computer. It sometimes it freezes before going to sleep completely that is with a black screen, keyboard and mouse lit but no keys will wake it up. I have to shut it off by holding the power button then turning it back on to reboot. Lately I...
  9. Wake up problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Wake up problems: Hi all my laptop doesn't wake up from sleep mode , anyone knows how to fix ? Thx 48515
  10. problem waking up

in Windows 10 Support
    problem waking up: Hi, I just upgraded to windows 10 the other day and since then when I put it in sleep mode it will not wake up, Can anybody help me? Thanks 11207