Windows 10: Problems with extreme sluggishness/slow response time....How to troubleshoot? SO FRUSTRATING!

Discus and support Problems with extreme sluggishness/slow response time....How to troubleshoot? SO FRUSTRATING! in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a Toshiba Satellite L55-C laptop that is about 3 years old running WIN10 Home. I am a nerd for staying up-to-date with everything. I recently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by janevir, Sep 5, 2019.

1. janevir Win User

Problems with extreme sluggishness/slow response time....How to troubleshoot? SO FRUSTRATING!

I have a Toshiba Satellite L55-C laptop that is about 3 years old running WIN10 Home. I am a nerd for staying up-to-date with everything. I recently had to have a new hard drive put in. I had problems with sluggishness before this but I am very disappointed that it is continuing and keeping me from very productive. Even as I am typing this, the computer doesn't keep up with my typing and it "hangs up" (for lack of a better description). Many times I have to wait 5 or more seconds for it to respond. Almost anything I do causes a "not responding" message, including opening an email.When I boot up my computer, I have to wait many minutes before any app responds (such as when Outlook or Word is open, I can't click on anything or basically can't use the app for some time). And even then, there are many times when I am waiting. I don't know how to troubleshoot this problem!

Here are some details about my computer (whether they may matter or not, ha ha!):

• Up-to-date with all WIN updates
    • Running McAfee LiveSafe (I just tried turning off its "App Booster" to see if I notice a difference in anything and actually it seem worse.)
    • Running Carbonite (which says "updating files" at the moment but even when it doesn't, I don't see a difference)
    • Running Windows Defender
    • Running CCleaner
    • I use MS Office Professional 2016 desktop version, including Outlook app.
    • Processor Intel Core i%-5200U CPU @ 2.20 GHz
    • 64 but OS and processor
    • WIN10 Home version 1903 (OS build 18362.329)
    • 8 GB RAM
    • CPU averages around 33%
    • I disabled unnecessary startup apps
    • Memory is at 46%
    • AND 100% disk usage!!! So I went in just now and stopped quite a few services in Task Manager (nothing crazy), did a disk check (it was good). Now it is fluctuating in the high 80s to 100 so not much change. I read to stop Superfetch but I couldn't see it under Services.
    • I do not have a virus that I know of (everything checks out fine).
    • I optimize weekly.
    • When I looked at the Reliability Monitor, there are all kind of issues there over the past month (that's all that shows) but I don't know what to do with that information.

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated!

:)

janevir, Sep 5, 2019
  2. TPB81461 Win User

Windows 10 EXTREMELY slow performance!

Hello and thank you for your response. None of the troubleshooting options worked for me. I ran through each and every troubleshooting option (to include) hardware and nothing was found. I even removed most, if not all services from Start Up; and the
    only time I get a decent response is after hard boot it.. force it off out of frustration... then it behaves for all of 10 minutes, then right back to where I was before. So, my system is still extremely slow. Simple tasks like opening File Explorer take
    an unusually long time... wanna through it out the window at this point.

TPB81461, Sep 6, 2019
  3. Sluggish response after fresh install of windows 10

My laptop (after working fine) suddenly start booting up extremely slow (slow to get to user selection screen and slow once I select my id). When I go into safe mode though I have no speed problem. I tried to disable services and startup items (including
    windows ones) but when I boot its still slow. The only exception is when I use msconfig to select specifically "safe mode".

I finally gave up trying to figure out the problem, wiped the drive and installed fresh windows 10 off a USB drive (downloaded using MS media tool last week). Seemed to work.. then I plugged into the network and after around 15 minutes the sluggishness problem
    reappeared. Problems with extreme sluggishness/slow response time....How to troubleshoot?  SO FRUSTRATING! :(

I tried replacing the HDD with SSD but it wasn't the problem. What's weird is that it continues to work fine in safe mode. I'm assuming some sort of driver or windows update occurred that is causing this problem but I have no idea which driver or update
    it is. Any suggestions?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Canadian Jimmy, Sep 6, 2019
  4. Problems with extreme sluggishness/slow response time....How to troubleshoot? SO FRUSTRATING!

Windows 10 running extremely slowly, programmes unresponsive

I'd suggest pressing Ctrl-Shift-Escape and looking at which program is hogging the most CPU or Disk % in the Task Manager list. That'll show you which program is causing the slowness. I have some examples and more details under a blog post titled Fix
    a Sluggish, Slow PC

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Sep 6, 2019
Thema:

Problems with extreme sluggishness/slow response time....How to troubleshoot? SO FRUSTRATING!

1. Problems with extreme sluggishness/slow response time....How to troubleshoot? SO FRUSTRATING! - Similar Threads - Problems extreme sluggishness

2. EXTREMELY SLOW boot time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EXTREMELY SLOW boot time: So, when I try to start my PC, it takes about an hour. Then I tried to go to recovery options I disabled windows RE, so I have to boot up from my installation media. When I boot from my windows installation DVD, it hangs up at the purple background, and wouldn't show the...
  3. EXTREMELY SLOW boot time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EXTREMELY SLOW boot time: So, when I try to start my PC, it takes about an hour. Then I tried to go to recovery options I disabled windows RE, so I have to boot up from my installation media. When I boot from my windows installation DVD, it hangs up at the purple background, and wouldn't show the...
  4. So Frustrating . . .

So Frustrating . . .: This is all about watching movies! I had been using, Norton antivirus. But because, of the VPN. It stopped me,from watching any movie. So I turned the, VPN off. But still, nothing. No, movie. I even, uninstalled Norton.But it still, did not "Help" I've tried,everything.Could...
  5. Windows 10 sluggish response

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 sluggish response: Hi, I have a major issue with my system running Win 10. The system had been upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10. I noticed that it seemed to be taking a long time to boot > 20 mins. I tried running Ashampoo Optimizer and Chk=eck Disk the HDD. There was a short term benefit,...
  6. File Explorer Extremely Slow or Not Responsive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Extremely Slow or Not Responsive: I have windows 10 and these issues occur when using file explorer, moving or managing files. A. File explorer takes minutes to open or won't open when clicked on this includes using the windows search bar and any icons on the computer. B. File explorer crashes often or is...
  7. Charmap is having extremely slow response

Charmap is having extremely slow response: I recently upgraded my computer with a new MOBO, CPU, and video card. This forced me to pay to purchase a Win10 license, even though I already had Win10. So, now I've got: Windows 10 Home 64-bit 10.0, Build 18363 18362.19h1_release.190318-1202 MSI Performance Gaming AMD...
  8. Extremely slow application response becuase of regional format

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Extremely slow application response becuase of regional format: We have legacy MFC based desktop application, our application is loading configurations/settings from a file, floating points are either comma or decimal separated. Our application was running quite nicely on Windows 10 until we updated to 1903 Build. Application takes a lot...
  9. Slow Response Time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow Response Time: Entering into the game works prefect; however once selections are made and the game begins, response time is impossible. Clicking onto a number called, or the thermostat climbing and clicking onto it is the problem. Is there a solution to this issue?...
  10. Slow Response Time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow Response Time: The response time for this game isn't working as it should. When I click my mouse for example to select a number that has been called it does not respond or light up. Also the bonus prompts time is slow. Can you resolve this issue for me?...