Windows 10: Problems with File Read/Write Permissions.

Discus and support Problems with File Read/Write Permissions. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I just installed the latest build of Windows 10 and am running into some problems that never occurred to me before. My previous version of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Legdotus, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Legdotus Win User

Problems with File Read/Write Permissions.

Hello, I just installed the latest build of Windows 10 and am running into some problems that never occurred to me before. My previous version of Windows 10 failed because of some system restore custom app that I downloaded so I had to reinstall. Anyway, I make a clean install, have my filed moved to windows.old, install a bunch of software that I use all the time and do a restart.

Now I'm having some very serious problems, I cannot download files through the internet, whether it is through browsers such as Chrome, Firefox and Edge, or my download manager app called Internet Download Manager (IDM), the files start downloading fine, then suddenly they stop downloading at a certain point, no resuming possible.

Sometimes the download finishes, but the setup is corrupted, or the setup launches, and when I get to the install files part of the setup, it tells me I don't have access to write to Program Files of all places.

I tried using that registry file that allows you to take ownership of a folder and its subfolders through the right click context menu, but taking ownership doesn't change anything, I still can't download or install apps.

At this point I don't know what to do, since this is a fresh install. The only thing that comes to mind to me is that, I set the same username as on my previous installation, and I can install apps whose setups are in the Windows.old system, like I have full access there, but I don't have access in my own Downloads folder, like the system thinks I'm the old installation user or something.

:)

Legdotus, Oct 11, 2016
  2. Argel Obm Win User

Read/Write Permissions

Since you're also having an issue with the permissions while using the new account, there may be an issue with the system files of Windows 10. To scan the image and system files of Windows 10, we suggest running
    the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool, and the System File Checker tool.
    If these tool detect a corruption, they will also attempt to address the issue.

Kindly share with us the result.

Argel Obm, Oct 11, 2016
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    Read/Write Permissions

Since this issue is happening from the time you've assembled your computer and installed Windows 10, we would like to clarify if you're using an old hard drive or a new one. If you're using an old hard drive, we would also like to clarify if you've re-formatted
    the hard drive before installing Windows 10.

Argel Obm, Oct 11, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Did you do a clean install is wiped the drive if you didnt then there will be problems carried over

Samuria, Oct 11, 2016
  5. A clean install should be just that,,,,, CLEAN, to a partition with NOTHING on it.
    The Windows installer will do that for you, if you'll just click on the right things, like "Format".

I have never, and WILL never, allow a new install of any OS to write files over the top of another OS. I always tell the installer to Format that partition before it installs the new OS to it. Then too, if there is a problem in the old format of the HD, that too will be corrected, so it works best with the new OS.

Likewise, if the old OS created multiple partitions, I use the "Delete" function in the installer to delete all the old partitions, and the installer will create new partitions as it requires.

If there is anything on the old OS that I need to save, then I copy those things to an external HD or Flash Drive before I ever start the new install.

Cheers Mates!

*Cool

TechnoMage, Oct 11, 2016
  6. Legdotus Win User
    At this point that's what I'm gonna do, just wasted a day for nothing, I think that system restore app seriously messed up my laptop, these are the same behaviors that occurred to my system after I uninstalled that app, before that it was working PERFECTLY fine. I'm gonna format and repartition the whole drive with GParted at this point, I'm lazy with the CMD built in the windows setup.

Legdotus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Problems with File Read/Write Permissions. - Similar Threads - Problems File Read

2. File rights read vs write

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File rights read vs write: Hallo everyone,I have one shared file windows server 2019 with read only rights for one group and write right for another group. It's working, but I have the following problem: if one read only user opens the file in read only mode the file is locked and write users can't...
  3. File rights read vs write

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File rights read vs write: Hallo everyone,I have one shared file windows server 2019 with read only rights for one group and write right for another group. It's working, but I have the following problem: if one read only user opens the file in read only mode the file is locked and write users can't...
  4. File rights read vs write

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to save files correctly to network share with read & write permission

Unable to save files correctly to network share with read & write permission: Saving any file to network share folder brings up an error message:z:\test2.xlsx"You don’t have permission to modify files in this network location. Contact the administrator per permission to make these changes"Facts:Saving any file to the local PC is fineThis issue happened...
  6. Unable to save files correctly to network share with read & write permission

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to save files correctly to network share with read & write permission: Saving any file to network share folder brings up an error message:z:\test2.xlsx"You don’t have permission to modify files in this network location. Contact the administrator per permission to make these changes"Facts:Saving any file to the local PC is fineThis issue happened...
  7. Unable to save files correctly to network share with read & write permission

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Read and write encrypted file

Read and write encrypted file: Hi I have created an encrypted file using AES , stored this encrypted file into a folder in my D drive . This encrypted file consists of junk characters .My next task is to read that file . I have tried methods such as _tfopen_s and _wfopen_s etc. but I could not able to...
  9. read and write permission problem

read and write permission problem: hi all i created a share folder in windows server 2019 for windows 7 and windows 10 client, and assign READ and WRITEcopy and paste, not allow modify and delete permission to this share folder in windows 7 clients, i can save any file to this folder, everything is fine....
  10. read/write permission setting in windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    read/write permission setting in windows 10: how do i enable write permission on a seagate remote hard drive? I'm on Windows 10 op sys https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/readwrite-permission-setting-in-windows-10/c8acc14d-3c0b-4f30-bc77-b518daa47ebd