Windows 10: Problems with folder encryption (Windows 10), what is a smartcard PIN?

Discus and support Problems with folder encryption (Windows 10), what is a smartcard PIN? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, everybody, I want to encrypt a folder on my hard disk or protect it with a password. When I select the option in the folder properties and try... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Pokemanuel, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Problems with folder encryption (Windows 10), what is a smartcard PIN?

Hi, everybody,

I want to encrypt a folder on my hard disk or protect it with a password. When I select the option in the folder properties and try to apply, a window opens asking me to enter a "Smartcard PIN" (see picture). But there is no input field in this window and typing on the keyboard is useless. I can only cancel the process. I have no idea what is required of me, and searching on Google did not make me any smarter. ^^" Ask for help!

LG

Manuel

Problems with folder encryption (Windows 10), what is a smartcard PIN? 0_big.png

:)

Pokemanuel, Jul 10, 2020

2. Encrypting a folder

Hello Bill,

To encrypt a folder in Windows 10 Home, follow these steps:

• Right-click the folder you want to encrypt and click Properties.
    • On the General tab, click Advanced.
    • Under Compress or Encrypt attributes, click Encrypt contents to secure data.
    • Click OK then Apply to save the changes.

We're just here if you need further help.

Devlin Sco, Jul 10, 2020
  3. Thanatica Win User
    Smartcard login

My new laptop, a Thinkpad T480s has a smartcard reader and is shipped with Window 10 Pro. How can I use the smartcard reader to log into Windows using a smartcard?

I'm not really interested in all kinds of technical stuff about smartcards, I'm just a home user and I have a smartcard reader and several smartcards that might be usable. Simple as that. I don't need filesystem encryption for now either.

I see it as just logging in with an alternative input - not unlike fingerprint login really.

But instead of fingerprint, I want to use smartcard.

How to do it?

Thanatica, Jul 10, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Problems with folder encryption (Windows 10), what is a smartcard PIN?

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 10, 2020
Thema:

Problems with folder encryption (Windows 10), what is a smartcard PIN?

1. Problems with folder encryption (Windows 10), what is a smartcard PIN? - Similar Threads - Problems folder encryption

2. Problem with encrypting a folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with encrypting a folder: I've updated to windows 11 and now I need to encrypt a folder but the option "encrypt contents to secure data" Is greyed out so I am not able to enable it how can I fix it?...
  3. Problem with encrypting a folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with encrypting a folder: I've updated to windows 11 and now I need to encrypt a folder but the option "encrypt contents to secure data" Is greyed out so I am not able to enable it how can I fix it?...
  4. Folder Encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder Encryption: Hello,I HAVE administrator rights on my account, but the option to "encrypt contents to secure data" is greyed out. I have gone through the steps in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to enable encryption. It still will not let me encrypt a folder. Why not? All other forums about this issue...
  5. Folder Encryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder Encryption: Hello,I HAVE administrator rights on my account, but the option to "encrypt contents to secure data" is greyed out. I have gone through the steps in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to enable encryption. It still will not let me encrypt a folder. Why not? All other forums about this issue...
  6. How to encrypt a folder in windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to encrypt a folder in windows 10: I want to protect a folder in my desktop containing secret information But I don't know how to do that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-encrypt-a-folder-in-windows-10/eb638001-9fe5-4e85-a803-42d9b94a4cbb
  7. Encrypting folders in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encrypting folders in Windows 10: The encryption facility to encrypt files or folders is greyed out. Have tried the methods suggested i.e. going into cmd and changing the fsutil file to 0 and also going into the ntfs file and doing the same but nothing works. Any suggestions please?...
  8. Windows 10 folder encryption

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 folder encryption: I have right clicked a folder -> properties -> advanced -> selected "encrypt contents to secure data". A gold padlock appears on every document in the folder. My question, when I attach a document out of that folder to gmail and mail it to someone, it is not encrypted,...
  9. Folder Encryption.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Encryption.: Hello Microsoft Community, I want to encrypt a folder on my computer, but i am finding it impossible to do so. I first went to the folder, and selected, Properties/General/Advanced, but the option to encrypt the folder was grayed out. I then looked on the internet for a...
  10. GP Disable PIN change for Smartcard

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    GP Disable PIN change for Smartcard: Under local group policy editor, is there a way to disable change smart card PIN at Ctl Alt Del? We don't want our users changing their PINs for their smart cards on their computers. I hope this makes sense. 107413