Windows 10: Problems with Long File Names

Discus and support Problems with Long File Names in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello I'am Tobias and I have a Problem with long File Names on a share, people used to create files and directories in Windows 7, some of them over... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Holzwurmch, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Problems with Long File Names

Hello

I'am Tobias and I have a Problem with long File Names

on a share, people used to create files and directories in Windows 7, some of them over 300 characters long.
    That was not a big problem back then.
    Now we have switched to Windows 10 and we now have a problem with it.
    The problem is not that Windows says hey your file name is too long, but it just crashes the explorer.

For example, when I search for xy on the share, it searches for a while and suddenly the window with the eyplorer is simply gone.
    Same thing when I try to click down the directories. Eventually the explorer is gone.

The stupid thing is that this does not happen on all computers, but only on an individual basis.
    It also does not depend on permissions, it can happen to a domain admin just like a normal user

I've searched a lot on the net but have not found a satisfactory answer so far.
    Sure the problem is the long file names, but changing them does not happen overnight and my people have to be able to work. And since it works on some stations, there has to be a solution for it to work on all stations ...

For example, I have already tried:
    - permissions
    - RegKey to allow long file names
    - Create an ExplorerDump and read it out with VisualStudio. There was a problem with thumnails.
    So I deleted the thumnails DB in the user profile, but the problem persists.

If anyone has an idea that I have not had, I like to try it out
    Thank you very much

:)

Holzwurmch, Sep 26, 2018
  2. Patrick8 Win User

Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

Hi Ramsey,

I suggest to try "Long Path Tool" program .

before I have problem cannot copy file because file name too long. and after I found long path tool and now my problem solved

Thanks

Patrick

Patrick8, Sep 26, 2018
  3. Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

Thread necro...

When in doubt, use CMD.

1. Run CMD
    2. Use CD <path> to navigate to the directory where the file exists.
    3. Use the DIR command to get the list of files. DIR will likely abbreviate the ridiculously long named file with NAME~1.
    4. Use the MOVE <source> <destination> to give the file a new name. For example: move "NAME~1" "MyShortName"
    5. ...
    6. PROFIT!

CMD is always the answer. *Wink Problems with Long File Names ;)

FordGT90Concept, Sep 26, 2018
  4. Goozzie Win User

Problems with Long File Names

Long file names that are not long

I Know the heading seems ridiculous but I have HTML files one that is 3 letters long IE "arp.html".

When I try to delete this file I get "cannot delete file too long"

This happens with all and every file in the following folder "Corel Videostudio Pro x9 19.1.0.10", I tried to copy and paste this name but it would not let me because the file is too long.

Can anyone throw any light on this problem please.

Goozzie, Sep 26, 2018
Thema:

Problems with Long File Names

1. Problems with Long File Names - Similar Threads - Problems Long File

2. File name too long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File name too long: I still have an issue with the error "the file name is too long", although it is not. Ihave changed the value in the longpathsenable Keyloccalmachine using registry editor, restarted and same issue !Please advise !...
  3. File name too long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File name too long: I still have an issue with the error "the file name is too long", although it is not. Ihave changed the value in the longpathsenable Keyloccalmachine using registry editor, restarted and same issue !Please advise !...
  4. File History - Files with long path names.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History - Files with long path names.: In August 2016, @gacpac posted that "File history doesn't let you back up long path file names".Does this problem still exist in Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-files-with-long-path-names/2482af76-4e9d-4ddd-aa8a-098efbf690a3
  5. File History - Files with long path names.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History - Files with long path names.: In August 2016, @gacpac posted that "File history doesn't let you back up long path file names".Does this problem still exist in Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-files-with-long-path-names/2482af76-4e9d-4ddd-aa8a-098efbf690a3
  6. Delete files with [TOO] long file names .......

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete files with [TOO] long file names .......: The only post I could find was one from this forum from AUGUST 23, 2017 WINDOWS 7/64, but not Windows 10. That dealt with my problem: DELETING FILES WITH NAMES TOO LONG.The instructions said to: Hi, Windows uses a naming convention called Long Filenames LFN. The LFN system...
  7. Deleting file with long file name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting file with long file name: I have a file, not a folder, on my desktop that exceeds the 256 limit and I have tried everything on line that I can see to delete it but I am unable to do wo. I cannot move it to a folder, I cannot cut and paste it to the recycle bin, I cannot rename it, I cannot Zip it,...
  8. File name too long

in Windows 10 Support
    File name too long: I run Win10: [img] And a browser save on the HDD disk, with filename counting 255 letters. And I cannot rename it, move it, or delete it. And I have enabled in the group policy Win32 long file names: Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10 How can I get rid of...
  9. file name too long

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file name too long: how to resolve this issue in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-name-too-long/783521af-d0ec-410b-826e-67a50a90159c"
  10. Long File Name Crashes

in Windows 10 Support
    Long File Name Crashes: Hi, I appreciate that there are a lot of queries regarding the file names exceeding 260 characters, but when i try to open my folders to rename the files to shorter names I don't get the chance to do this as the window just shuts down again before I can do anything. Is there...