Windows 10: Problems with my secondary monitor after windows update

Discus and support Problems with my secondary monitor after windows update in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi Guys, My computer installed the windows update 2 days ago, since then I have problems with my second monitor. First the monitor was searching for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by svensan, Nov 25, 2018.

1. svensan Win User

Problems with my secondary monitor after windows update

Hi Guys,

My computer installed the windows update 2 days ago, since then I have problems with my second monitor. First the monitor was searching for a source but couldnt find any so the monitor didnt turn on. I thought that I have a monitor problem so I diconnected the monitor from the computer, by mistake I disconnected the properly working monitor and in the same second my other monitor turned on without any problems, as soon I connected the other monitor again the second monitor turned off again. So it seems that Windows handles just one monitor. I installed the fresh Nvidia Driver via the Geforce experience software, but the problem was still there, after that I installed the official drivers for both monitors, now my second monitor is working but only in an 800 x 600 resolution and I can change the resolution just to 800*600 ,1024*768, 1152*864, 1176*664, 1280*720, 1280*768, 1280*800, 1280*960 or 1280*1024. The monitor is a 43 inch Dell with a normal resolution of 3840 x 2160. If I click in the windows settings detect monitor windows tells me that there is no second monitor, but if i select with Win+P the second monitor the monitor works in the correct resolution without a problem. I started the computer already in safe mode windows then start my first monitor in a resolution of 1024*768 and my second monitor is not detected.

Did anybody encounter a similar problem?

What I already did:

1. Refreshed all drivers (Monitor, GPU, MB)

2. Started in safe mode (described above)

3. Windows Device diagnostic (just an USB failure was found)

My built is:

Win 10

Version: 1803 (build: 17134.407)

MB Asus X99 Pro

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2560 v3

GPU: 1 Nvidia 1070 and 1 Nvidia 1080Ti (Monitors are connected via DP each in one card)

Monitor: DELL U2515H

Secondary Monitor: DELL P4317Q

All help is appreciated!

:)

svensan, Nov 25, 2018

2. Setting Up A Older Secondary Monitor

ok decided to reopen in the hopes someone might have a solution for a new issues i noticed. when i do a restart the secondary monitor takes over, and not until windows is about to go to the desktop does the secondary monitor turn off and the primary display turn on. i would think there is some way to make the default monitor stay on during a reboot. any suggestion would be great. thanks

main monitor dvi to hdmi on video card
    secondary monitor dvi to dvi

xXWhackerXx, Nov 25, 2018
  3. Second monitor not detected after update

Hi Tom,

There are several reasons that could have caused the issue you are experiencing. One of these is the update you previously performed in Windows, either it was not configured properly by the system or the update components were corrupted. Kindly answer the
    following questions for clarification:

• Have you tried updating the monitor and display drivers?
    • Have you tried to use another user profile to check if the issue re-occurs?

Furthermore, we suggest that you add the other monitor manually. This is to ensure that the second monitor is still connected after the update. Here are the steps:

• Type connected devices and open Connected Devices on the
      Windows Search bar.
    • Click Add devices.
    • Select the Second screen.
    • Pick one of the 3 options: Duplicate, Extend, and the Second screen only.
    • The Duplicate option will duplicate the primary display to secondary display.
    • The Extend option will unite two monitors so you can use them both as one.
    • The Second screen only option will, obviously, disable primary and use only the secondary monitor.
    • Once you’ve chosen the preferred mode, save changes.

We're looking forward to your response.

PreciousLeb, Nov 25, 2018
  4. Problems with my secondary monitor after windows update

Problems with Windows 10 Taskbar and Secondary Monitor

On my secondary monitor, there is room for the task bar but the task bar is not displayed. (The task bar is displayed normally on the primary monitor.)

Although there is no task bar on the secondary monitory, the top half of the Task View icon does appear on the secondary monitor at the location it would normally appear within the task bar.

I'm uploading a screen capture from my secondary monitor. This is the very bottom left corner of the screen.

Problems with my secondary monitor after windows update 21ef3c52-ee62-4321-b0a1-12931301cfdd.png

Is anyone else seeing this issue? My computer is a newer Dell XPS 8700 with 32GB RAM.

Jonathan B Wood, Nov 25, 2018
Thema:

Problems with my secondary monitor after windows update

1. Problems with my secondary monitor after windows update - Similar Threads - Problems secondary monitor

2. Toolbar on secondary monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Toolbar on secondary monitor: This is the same question that GrandPheonix has asked.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/toolbar-on-secondary-monitor/e00b197a-1143-4207-b0be-618ee4986eccIs there a way to either change this in any of the windows settings or does this have to be coded into...
  3. Strange display problems on secondary monitor.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange display problems on secondary monitor.: Hi, I'm currently running on dual displays with Windows 11, lately, I've been realizing this strange display issue with my secondary monitor. Both the displays are identical, but somehow the secondary display seems it misses lines of pixels. For example, when I try to read...
  4. Strange display problems on secondary monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange display problems on secondary monitor.: Hi, I'm currently running on dual displays with Windows 11, lately, I've been realizing this strange display issue with my secondary monitor. Both the displays are identical, but somehow the secondary display seems it misses lines of pixels. For example, when I try to read...
  5. Windows 11 secondary monitor problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 secondary monitor problem: Hello,I have upgraded my notebook to Windows 11 after checking its compatibility. Everything works fine except for my graphic tablet display. Now my notebook doesn't detect it as a monitor, so there is no display. I have uninstalled and downloaded every driver that I can...
  6. Windows 11 secondary monitor problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 secondary monitor problem: Hello,I have upgraded my notebook to Windows 11 after checking its compatibility. Everything works fine except for my graphic tablet display. Now my notebook doesn't detect it as a monitor, so there is no display. I have uninstalled and downloaded every driver that I can...
  7. Monitor problem after Windows update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitor problem after Windows update: [IMG] https://preview.redd.it/bl7dl2voo7l61.png?width=1919&format=png&auto=webp&s=1e4ef8c1ade9c9c27cb79ee1b823132cceb71535 I don't know how to explain this problem, but after the Windows update, my original screen kinda looks like it has sunken a bit. I searched...
  8. My secondary monitor or my vr headset aren't working after updating windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My secondary monitor or my vr headset aren't working after updating windows: Hi, I updated my version windows but ever since the update finished, my secondary monitor and my vr headset can't be recognised. I know it is a problem with windows because my monitors works fine by themselves and with my switch and I also have swapped my graphics card and...
  9. Secondary monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Secondary monitor: Recently I bought a slightly larger monitor and planned to use the older one as a secondary monitor. I went in via 'Display Settings' but have managed to screw things up and I've ended up making this smaller monitor the primary one. How might I reverse this and thus make the...
  10. Windows boots on secondary monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows boots on secondary monitor: Hello, I'm having an issue were the bios splash screen/Windows will boot up on the secondary monitor and then will go to the main so i can login.. i find this to be annoying and not only that.. it gives me an issue where if i alt tab out of my games.. it claims i have no...