Windows 10: Problems with my start menu display (missing apps and grayed texts)

Discus and support Problems with my start menu display (missing apps and grayed texts) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Don't know where to post this so I'll do it here. *sarc Issues: Blurry Start Menu Texts and Icons; 'Grayed' Start Menu Texts; Missing Apps; Unable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by khoiwin, Nov 16, 2017.

1. khoiwin Win User

Problems with my start menu display (missing apps and grayed texts)

Don't know where to post this so I'll do it here. *sarc

Issues: Blurry Start Menu Texts and Icons; 'Grayed' Start Menu Texts; Missing Apps; Unable to change the Start Menu titles

Just updated to Windows 10 creators fall version 1709 and it might have caused the issues.
    The image below pretty much explains everything.

Problems with my start menu display (missing apps and grayed texts) [​IMG]

I tried running the start menu troubleshooter; sfc; Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers...; etc.

Thinking of reinstalling Windows 10 but it is just so problematic and time consuming. *Confused

Any help is appreciated
    Thanks in advance *Biggrin
    Khoi

:)

khoiwin, Nov 16, 2017

2. Start Menu Issue for Windows 10

Don't know where to post this so I'll do it here.

Issues: Blurry Start Menu Texts and Icons; 'Grayed' Start Menu Texts; Missing Apps; Unable to change the Start Menu titles

Just updated to Windows 10 creators fall version 1709 and it might have caused the issues.

The image below pretty much explains everything.

I tried running the start menu troubleshooter; sfc; Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers...; etc.

Thinking of reinstalling Windows 10 but it is just so problematic and time consuming.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance

Khoi

Tuan Punch Man, Nov 16, 2017
  3. windows 10 display issues

What is this? strange display issues in the settings menu. missing radio buttons. strange gray overlapping text. whole menus disappear in the settings app. pictures disappear in the photos app. start menu is blank. notifications menu flickers on and off.
    What can i do?

angelo giuliano, Nov 16, 2017
  4. Problems with my start menu display (missing apps and grayed texts)

Have you executed below command from Powershell.

Code: Get-AppxPackage –AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}[/quote]
    This tells Windows to install those default apps again. Give it some time and allow it to finish, even if nothing appears to happen at first. Even if you see an error message, restart and examine your Start menu — you may just have all those default apps back again, anyway.

I would like you to check the system integrity of your Windows OS installation.

• Please type cmd.exe into Start Menu search box.
    • Please right click cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator".
    • Please type the following command and press the <Enter> key: sfc /scannow (Please note that there is a space between 'sfc" and "/scannow".)
    • It should take about 20 minutes to run, if there are no serious errors.
    • If the System File Checker reports that some errors were fixed, but some remain; please reboot your computer and run the System File Checker from an Administrator Command Prompt, again.
    • If the System File Checker again reports that some errors were fixed, but some remain, please reboot your computer and run it a third time.
    • If "Resource Integrity Violations" (errors) are reported that could not be corrected, or were not corrected after a third SFC run, then please navigate to the folder: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS and copy the file "cbs.log" to your desktop immediately. I am asking you do that because that file is dynamic, so I want to be able to examine a copy that is unchanged from the time that the System File Checker was run.
    • If there are errors that couldn't be corrected, let me know and I will provide you with instructions as to how to upload the file.

If you want you can repair install Windows 10 this will not delete your personal files, personal settings and installed programs.

How to Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

FreeBooter, Nov 16, 2017
  5. khoiwin Win User
    I did try running that command, but it didnt fix the problem, just got long lines of errors:

Also tried running System File Checker, but no problems were detected

khoiwin, Nov 16, 2017
  6. This command will generate few errors but command will install most of the Windows default apps. I have test the command and it works yes it does generate few errors that is nothing to worry about.

Have you restarted your computer after finish executing the powershell command.

Open the Command Prompt as a administrator and execute following command:

Code: Dism /online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth[/quote] Try this file http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=268423

If you want you can repair install Windows 10 without losing your personal files, personal setting and installed programs.

FreeBooter, Nov 16, 2017
  7. khoiwin Win User
    Tried those methods as well, but didn't work *Wink
    Figured it has something to do with my Intel Graphics settings.

khoiwin, Nov 16, 2017
  8. Problems with my start menu display (missing apps and grayed texts)

Install latest version of graphic card but before installing the driver uninstall old installed driver from Device Manager.

FreeBooter, Nov 16, 2017
  9. khoiwin Win User
    Yeah, the problem with the text colour and blurriness of the icons are fixed now after reinstalling the graphics driver. But I'm still missing start menu apps, eg. microsoft store, groove music, etc.

khoiwin, Nov 17, 2017
  10. 1. Open the Start menu and type Powershell. When it comes up in the search results, right click on it and choose "Run as administrator".

2. Type the following command in the PowerShell console:

Code: Get-Appxpackage -Allusers[/quote]

3. In the output, locate the Microsoft.WindowsStore entry. Look for the text PackageFamilyName.

4. Then run this PowerShell command, still elevated, replacing the ****** with the PackageFileName of the Windows Store:

Code: Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\******\AppxManifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode [/quote] For example, in my case it should be:

Code: Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode[/quote]

This will put back the Store app. You can also install other missing apps same way.

FreeBooter, Nov 18, 2017
  11. khoiwin Win User
    This looks okay? Thanks by the way. Cheers

khoiwin, Nov 19, 2017
  12. No you have entered wrong powershell command please enter the command correctly.

FreeBooter, Nov 20, 2017
  13. khoiwin Win User

khoiwin, Nov 20, 2017
  14. Powershell command cannot found the folder path of the Windows Store app. Can you please post a screenshot of the Windows Store app entry outputted by the Get-Appxpackage -Allusers command.

FreeBooter, Nov 21, 2017
  15. khoiwin Win User
    What do you mean?
    Also, I just recently discovered this, and I think I might have something to do with the problem.

khoiwin, Nov 21, 2017
Thema:

1. Problems with my start menu display (missing apps and grayed texts) - Similar Threads - Problems start menu

2. start menu apps icon are missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    start menu apps icon are missing: some of my start menu app icons are missing after the recent update . I don't know how to resolve it . please help me with that. [IMG][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-apps-icon-are-missing/a6c8ce29-e521-453e-b9c4-e630c8a0c195
  3. start menu boxes gray

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    start menu boxes gray: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/go_beavs [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jqcags/start_menu_boxes_gray/
  4. Start Menu Text

Start Menu Text: How do I restore the text in my Start menu when it disappeared after an update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-text/e070086c-126a-44c1-9fea-35a67ac46e7f
  5. Missing text on display

Missing text on display: For some time now, I've been having a problem which affects certain web pages and emails when displayed on my desktop monitor. A large part of the text is missing, and just appears as blank white space. See examples here:...
  6. Windows 10: Start menu text missing

Windows 10: Start menu text missing: [ATTACH] Hi! Many people were looking for a solution to this mistake. Solution is very simple. Intel HD graphics, drive setup causes the problem. Conservative morphological alignment should not be switched on. [ATTACH] Conservative morphological antialiasing OFF! Restart...
  7. Start Menu not displaying All apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu not displaying All apps: Performed an upgrade from Windows 8.1. When I select "All apps" from the Start Menu, I notice that not all the apps are displayed. May have found a bug in Windows 10 release. Anyone else having this issue? 10241
  8. Setting App "System" menu displaying the wrong text.

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting App "System" menu displaying the wrong text.: Hi all, I'm seeing the following issue on Windows 10 Enterprise 1607. As you can see from the screen shot the "System" menu in the Settings App is being displayed wrongly. The 2nd screen shot shows a correct menu: Broken_Menu [img] Normal_Menu [img] We're...
  9. Start menu icons/apps missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu icons/apps missing: Hi guys, Just got this error and couldn't find anything like this solved. The icons (or maybe the apps) are missing from the start menu. Thanks, Gabriel. [img] 40753
  10. Gray start menu icon?!?

in Windows 10 Support
    Gray start menu icon?!?: Lately I've noticed whenever Google Chrome ends up as one of the most-used programs on my start menu that its icon is completely gray. Here's what it looks like. https://goo.gl/photos/CELjBKm9CnNwhGKx7 If I turn off the display of most used programs and then back on...