Windows 10: Problems with network converting hostname to ip address

Discus and support Problems with network converting hostname to ip address in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For the last several weeks. I've been having a problem with Firefox taking several minutes to find and start loading a sites web page. Firefox tends to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rac8006, Mar 29, 2020.

1. rac8006 Win User

Problems with network converting hostname to ip address

For the last several weeks. I've been having a problem with Firefox taking several minutes to find and start loading a sites web page. Firefox tends to hang on looking for hostname. Once the site is loaded it still takes several minutes for the site to fully load. I also found that if I ping google.com from a powershell window it takes several minutes to respond. If you open a bash window and ping google.com it respond almost immediately. Also Microsoft Edge seems to work. It opens the hostname very fast. It seems that if is having problems with dns. I used Microsoft network monitor 3.4 to trace what is happening. From the trace I can see that the dns request gets a response in less that a second. But for some reason the application does not get the response for a long time.
    If I reboot the system the problem seems to go away. Yet at some point in time it is back.
    Anybody else having this problem?

Windows 10 pro build 10.0.18363 build 18363

:)

rac8006, Mar 29, 2020
  2. Kreij Win User

Network Tools 2

Suggestions !!!

Can we get the intranet scan to do the following:
    1) List IP Address in numerical order
    2) List IP Addresses that are not in use, perhaps denoted by a hostname of "--------"
    3) Enter a hostname of "Unknown" for IP Addresses that are found but not Windows devices.

You didn't think you were done with NetTool yet, did you? *Stick Out Tongue Problems with network converting hostname to ip address :p

Edit: I also forgot to mention that if you select a specific address (say 10.10.10.1) and it find a machine, it outputs the information. If you then select another address (say 10.10.10.2) which is not in use, the original info from the first address does not get cleared from the output pane.

Kreij, Mar 29, 2020
  3. Pauli O Win User
    Cant find Computers on Network by Hostname but can via IP

Microsoft made changes to networking while remove Homegroup from Windows 1803 and that caused some network problems.

One of those problems is that Windows has problems to resolve connection between IP-address and hostname in peer-to-peer networks.

I have solved this "Cant' access \\Computer" issue using hosts file. See step 6 on my example of network settings. This work in my home network shares.

Homegroup removed! How to get network sharing work with Windows 10 v1803.

Pauli O, Mar 29, 2020
  4. Problems with network converting hostname to ip address

IP Address

Hi Will,

You might need your computer's IP address if you want to set up an Internet connection, allow other people to connect to your PC, or need to troubleshoot network problems. Kindly follow these steps to find the IP address of your computer:

• Select the Start button , start typing View network connections, and then select it in the list.
    • Select an active network connection, and then, in the toolbar, select
      View status of this connection
      . (You might need to select the chevron icon to find this command.)
    • Select Details. (Your PC's IP address appears in the
      Value
      column, next to IPv4 Address).
    Let us know whenever you need further assistance.

Nathaniel Mon, Mar 29, 2020
Thema:

Problems with network converting hostname to ip address

1. Problems with network converting hostname to ip address - Similar Threads - Problems network converting

2. Expression Web 4 not converting local IP address to my ISP's IP address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Expression Web 4 not converting local IP address to my ISP's IP address: My ISP recently changed out my cable modem and new router eero Pro. When I try to publish any one of the 40+ websites I manage I get an error saying "I won't open a connection to 192.168.1.xx only to 149.76.203.106 500" If I query "what is my ip address" through a search...
  3. Expression Web 4 not converting local IP address to my ISP's IP address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Expression Web 4 not converting local IP address to my ISP's IP address: My ISP recently changed out my cable modem and new router eero Pro. When I try to publish any one of the 40+ websites I manage I get an error saying "I won't open a connection to 192.168.1.xx only to 149.76.203.106 500" If I query "what is my ip address" through a search...
  4. Hostname and IP address on Windows 11 network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hostname and IP address on Windows 11 network: HI,Could anyone explain to me why I cannot access my storage Western Digital NAS MyCloudHome via the hostname while it is fully possible via the IP address 192.168.0.39. The connection is always ending with an error 0x80070035. .I tried all the possible tests and parameters...
  5. Hostname and IP address on Windows 11 network

Hostname and IP address on Windows 11 network: HI,Could anyone explain to me why I cannot access my storage Western Digital NAS MyCloudHome via the hostname while it is fully possible via the IP address 192.168.0.39. The connection is always ending with an error 0x80070035. .I tried all the possible tests and parameters...
  6. Convert Device ID to Hostname or Possibly IP Address

Convert Device ID to Hostname or Possibly IP Address: Hello. Under About your PC I can find a workstation's Device ID. I was wondering if only presented with the Device ID of a workstation, can it somehow be converted to hostname, IP address, or MAC Address? Thanks....
  7. Convert Device ID to Hostname or Possibly IP Address

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Convert Device ID to Hostname or Possibly IP Address: Hello. Under About your PC I can find a workstation's Device ID. I was wondering if only presented with the Device ID of a workstation, can it somehow be converted to hostname, IP address, or MAC Address? Thanks....
  8. Convert Device ID to Hostname or Possibly IP Address

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. IP address problems.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    IP address problems.: OK, deep breath, here we go........ Have had this problem twice before, but know it's got really weird. Had two machine, different motherboards with onboard network sockets that would suddenly stop working with a static IP address. The minute you set one they would show an...
  10. Cant find Computers on Network by Hostname but can via IP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cant find Computers on Network by Hostname but can via IP: Hello, I have software that has and connects to a Host Computer for the Database. Now I would assume a recent Windows 10 Update could have screwed everything up, but I have had this weird issue before that sometimes resolves itself or swaps. Basically, the Software is set...