Windows 10: Problems with new HP Z38c LED curved monitor

Discus and support Problems with new HP Z38c LED curved monitor in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19042 build 19042. I have been using a HP Z27i monitor connected to my desktop by a 3m Displayport cable for years... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by milleniumaire, May 4, 2021.

1. Problems with new HP Z38c LED curved monitor

I am running Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19042 build 19042. I have been using a HP Z27i monitor connected to my desktop by a 3m Displayport cable for years without issue. The native resolution for this monitor is 2560 x 1440 @ 60Hz. Today I replaced this monitor with my new HP Z38c LED monitor, retaining the existing Displayport cable. This monitor runs at the higher resolution of 3840 x 1600 @ 60Hz. I say new monitor, it is actually a discounted ex demo model, but appears to be in perfect condition. Checking the HP website for the serial number indicates it was registered on 30/01/2020, so it is just over a year old, which is actually older than I was led to believe The spec. of the Intel graphics chip on my Gigabyte AORUS GA-Z270X mother board is perfectly capable of handling this resolution. I've noticed on dark areas of the screen there is a constant flickering, which is the best way I can describe it. The pixels seem to appear and disappear randomly but they are barely visible. If I set the background wallpaper to solid black and minimise all the windows it is much easier to see. Also, every now and again the whole image will flash black briefly. Sometimes this is so quick I wonder if has happened, other times it can last a second so is very noticeable. Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be or how I can start to troubleshoot it?

:)

milleniumaire, May 4, 2021

2. Problems with new HP Z38c LED curved monitor

I am running Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19042 build 19042.

I have been using a HP Z27i monitor connected to my desktop by a 3m Displayport cable for years without issue. The native resolution for this monitor is 2560 x 1440 @ 60Hz.

Today I replaced this monitor with my new HP Z38c LED monitor, retaining the existing Displayport cable. This monitor runs at the higher resolution of 3840 x 1600 @ 60Hz. I say new monitor, it is actually a discounted ex demo model, but appears to be in perfect condition. Checking the HP website for the serial number indicates it was registered on 30/01/2020, so it is just over a year old, which is actually older than I was led to believe

The spec. of the Intel graphics chip on my Gigabyte AORUS GA-Z270X mother board is perfectly capable of handling this resolution.

I've noticed on dark areas of the screen there is a constant flickering, which is the best way I can describe it. The pixels seem to appear and disappear randomly but they are barely visible. If I set the background wallpaper to solid black and minimise all the windows it is much easier to see.

Also, every now and again the whole image will flash black briefly. Sometimes this is so quick I wonder if has happened, other times it can last a second so is very noticeable.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be or how I can start to troubleshoot it?

3. Problems with new HP Z38c LED curved monitor

In order for the USB ports on the new monitor to work, it needs to be connected to my desktop via a USB type C cable and as my motherboard also has a type C connection, earlier today I ordered a Type C to Type C cable. I've read this can also take the video signal, so it should allow me to test a different cable connection.

While typing this reply, the monitor did something it hasn't done before and the whole screen turned pink, then was okay again. I could still make out the open desktop windows, it was almost as though some colours were removed, leaving only pink, then just as quickly it returned to normal! (it has now happened 5 times in the 5 mins I've been typing this message).

The displayport cable I'm using was purchased a couple of years ago and is an Amazon basics cable. I was thinking of purchasing a 8K displayport cable, one that is capable of higher refresh rates than 60Hz for 4K, but I'll see if the USB Type C cable makes a difference first.

- - - Updated - - -

Although I was rather sceptical, I tried your suggestion and swapped around the Displayport cable. To my surprise the issue appears to have gone!

It makes me wonder if one of the ends wasn't pushed far enough into the socket. I had tested the monitor connection many times, ensuring it was fully engaged, but hadn't checked the desktop end as I hadn't touched this.

Thanks for the suggestion.

4. bobkn Win User

Problems with new HP Z38c LED curved monitor

At a guess, it's a connection issue.

The first thing I'd try is swapping ends of the DisplayPort cable.

The next would be a different cable.

I hope that it's not a hardware failure of the monitor.

bobkn, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Problems with new HP Z38c LED curved monitor - Similar Threads - Problems Z38c LED

2. Problem with monitor xiaomi 34 inch curve in win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with monitor xiaomi 34 inch curve in win 10: Hello.i have xiaomi monitor 34 inch curve with max resolution 3440 * 1440 and i use Graphic card GTX 730 with max resolution 3880 * 2160.i have problem with my monitor . when connect my monitor to pc in display i have recommend resolution 3440 * 1440 but i see more resolution...
  3. Problem with monitor xiaomi 34 inch curve in win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with monitor xiaomi 34 inch curve in win 10: Hello.i have xiaomi monitor 34 inch curve with max resolution 3440 * 1440 and i use Graphic card GTX 730 with max resolution 3880 * 2160.i have problem with my monitor . when connect my monitor to pc in display i have recommend resolution 3440 * 1440 but i see more resolution...
  4. Problem with monitor xiaomi 34 inch curve in win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Curved Edges

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Curved Edges: Is there any way to give floating windows curved edges? submitted by /u/ana-oop-sksksk [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kth5mz/curved_edges/
  6. Fan Curve

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fan Curve: Hello, so I have a Ryzen 3600 with a wraith prism, I was wondering what the recommended fan curve was, I dont know whats right... If anyone can help me please wright down the fan speed% then the temp in Celsius. Thanks!...
  7. curved corners

in Windows 10 Customization
    curved corners: will windows 10 windows ever get curved corners? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/curved-corners/ebeeec07-edfb-40d2-8ff6-d55d143bc16c
  8. asus curved monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    asus curved monitor: I'm using a curved Asus monitor as the only screen for my Surface. Is there a way to have office products to only open in half the screen? So I don't have to continually re-size Word, excel, PPT etc. Thanks,...
  9. CES 2020: MSI Announces New Optix Curved Gaming Monitors

in Windows 10 News
    CES 2020: MSI Announces New Optix Curved Gaming Monitors: MSI, the world's leading manufacturer for true gaming hardware, is proudly expanding the hardware possibilities for gamers. The 1000R curvature panel was recently announced in Nov, and this month MSI followed suit by publishing the world's first 1000R Curved Gaming monitor –...
  10. Problem With Laptop LED Screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem With Laptop LED Screen: I have an issue with my Toshiba L50b LED screen. When I boot Windows 10 the display is very dim if the battery is attached. That is the case with or without the AC adaptor. If I power up with the AC adaptor on its own the display is fine. I have tried changing the power...