Windows 10: Problems with recent windows updates, anything I can do?

Discus and support Problems with recent windows updates, anything I can do? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I havent see people talking much about this, so I guess it is something with my computer so any advice or ideas would be good. Preemptive TL:DR: I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/bleakneon, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Problems with recent windows updates, anything I can do?

I havent see people talking much about this, so I guess it is something with my computer so any advice or ideas would be good.

Preemptive TLProblems with recent windows updates, anything I can do? :DR: I guess there might be a problem with my computers start up that causes the updates to fail. Anybody got any experience of this, or know more can just tell me updates have been a bit crap recently

It seems like there is always some kind of problem when windows updates. Last month when I restarted to complete the update, there was some reason for it to fail, revert, fail to revert, do some (to me at least) scary DOS looking system check, and when it final restarted I would be would get a message telling me to install the update again. At some point it stopped doing this, but it was annoying.

On Monday (I think) an update screwed up my USB drives. They would supply power to things (light on mouse, phone would charge) but not data would transfer, I couldn't use the mouse. I had the most recent drivers, so after some reading, I found the solution was to check for update.

Now, my USB drives have stopped working again, but this time, no power either. Found that an update failed. I am check for new updates now and windows tells me I need to install 2020-11 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10, version 20H2 for x64 (KB4586876).

I dont know if there is anything I can do to stop these things happening, I guess there might be a problem with my computers start up and causing the update things to crash? I don't know? Anybody got any experience of this, or know more can just tell me updates have been a bit crap recently?

submitted by /u/bleakneon
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/bleakneon, Dec 18, 2020
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Dec 18, 2020
  3. Recently used items does not show after a recent Windows update

Hello Timothy,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and we regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you.

To be able to assist you better, let us know a few more details on the below questions.

1) Did you make any recent changes to the computer?

2) Did you check if similar issues occur when logged in to the computer using a different user account?

3) Do you have any system restore point set prior to the issue?

To check if there is any Restore Point already created, follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X, select System.

• In the left pane, click on System Protection.

• Select the option to system restore > next. It will show all restore points already created.

4) What is the particular Windows update you are referring to?

To do so, you need to check the settings through Windows update. Follow the below steps.
    • Open the Settings Charm with the shortcut Windows Key
      Problems with recent windows updates, anything I can do? Windows_Key.png
      +
      I.
    • Click/tap Change PC settings.
    • Click on the Update and recovery and click on the View your update history.
    • You will now see a list of your installed Windows Updates. If you click on any one of the
      "Successfully installed on (date)" links

As an initial step towards troubleshooting, I suggest you to check if the 'recently used item' feature is hidden. If yes, uncheck the options. Follow the below steps.

• Right click on Taskbar and choose Properties.
    • Select the tab Start Menu.
    • Uncheck both the options for:

1) Store and display recently opened programs in the Start Menu

2) Store and display recently opened items in the Start Menu and the Task Bar
    • Also select a higher number recent items to display in Jump List

If the above does not apply, please follow the below suggested methods and check in case if it is a functionality issue in Windows.

Method 1

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.

• Restart the computer.

Ref: Using System File Checker
    in Windows 10

Method 2

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state or were irrecoverable, then I suggest you to try the following steps to deploy the DISM command lines:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click command prompt (Run as administrator).

• In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

Write to us with the updated status and the required information for us to be able to assist you further.

Sayan_Ghosh, Dec 18, 2020
  4. 3Colors Win User

Problems with recent windows updates, anything I can do?

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Problems with recent windows updates, anything I can do? :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Dec 18, 2020
Thema:

Problems with recent windows updates, anything I can do?

1. Problems with recent windows updates, anything I can do? - Similar Threads - Problems recent updates

2. From the recent Microsoft update I can't update or install anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    From the recent Microsoft update I can't update or install anything: From the recent Microsoft update I can't update or install anything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/from-the-recent-microsoft-update-i-cant-update-or/11415b8d-1a81-4a47-82fb-06e0d3d51cf5
  3. Windows Update ran into a problem and failed to update. Is there anything I could do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update ran into a problem and failed to update. Is there anything I could do?: Windows Update ran into a problem and couldn't update. Code 800700A1 and 80070490. Thank you for your help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-ran-into-a-problem-and-failed-to/ef13adcb-e572-4976-be1c-216effd37f6d
  4. Windows Update ran into a problem and failed to update. Is there anything I could do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update ran into a problem and failed to update. Is there anything I could do?: Windows Update ran into a problem and couldn't update. Code 800700A1 and 80070490. Thank you for your help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-ran-into-a-problem-and-failed-to/ef13adcb-e572-4976-be1c-216effd37f6d
  5. How can I resolve my recent Windows update problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I resolve my recent Windows update problems: MY CURRENT PROBLEMS WITH UPDATING Windows version 21H1, Home, 64 bitStarting from EVERY launch of Windows on my PC I get the following problems:While launching, 'Updating Windows' is displayed, with a brief countdown to 100%When I check Services, I find Update has been...
  6. is there anything recent updated i can install on my PC?

is there anything recent updated i can install on my PC?: I hav anAsusmodel: R540SMFD: 2016-“intel inside”w/ Windows10Every bit of software i already have installed on my previous PC's⇣HP, Compaq, Mac or MacBook laptop which has got to be younger than my current junk of a PC -laptop;⇡ w/no problem!But I can't...
  7. Is there anything I can do to solve this screen problem?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is there anything I can do to solve this screen problem?: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Hi there My Samsung NP355E7C-S09DE notebook has served me faithfully and has acquired very high mileage thru daily use since Jan. 2013. Earlier today though, after using it at home, I went to another place, turned it on them as I was using it, thought...
  8. Is there anything - literally ANYTHING - that Cortana CAN do?

in Cortana
    Is there anything - literally ANYTHING - that Cortana CAN do?: The forums are full of people pointing out that Cortana is no longer capable of performing any tasks whatsoever other than stating "I can't help you with that' and, bizarrely, searching bing as though it thinks that "book an appointment for 2pm" means "please search the...
  9. Recent windows update problems

Recent windows update problems: Hello, in a recent update I'm getting 2 problems the first being "threat service as stopped restart now" where the restart button doesn't work and every time I start my laptop it wants to check the disk unless I stop it in time, no my disk has no errors and its an M.2 NVME...
  10. I literally can do anything.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I literally can do anything.: How do i recover my files if literally every file is deleted to the point where not even Microsoft edge or anything works ._. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-literally-can-do-anything/a5140cbe-dd25-43d4-aebe-009e2e0db5a8"