Windows 10: Problems with Screen Redraws in Powershell/CMD/Explorer in 19042.421

Discus and support Problems with Screen Redraws in Powershell/CMD/Explorer in 19042.421 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My laptop Thinkpad X13, Ryzen 4750U updated to 19042.421 earlier this evening, and suddenly PowerShell, the Command Prompt, and a lot of Explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BlackAspen, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Problems with Screen Redraws in Powershell/CMD/Explorer in 19042.421

My laptop Thinkpad X13, Ryzen 4750U updated to 19042.421 earlier this evening, and suddenly PowerShell, the Command Prompt, and a lot of Explorer applications aren't really updating unless there's a screen redraw.

If I open PowerShell and type a command, it won't appear unless I try to alt-tab to something else or "view all desktops" or the like. Commands after this complete sub-satisfactorily. If I type "ls" I'll occasionally get results instantly, but won't get the next command prompt without alt-tab, changing desktops, etc.

In Explorer apps too if I try to look at, say, Powershell Properties, the window outline will get drawn, but not without significant cursor movement or above changes will the window actually appear.

This was fine in my earlier release! I've been using Powershell heavily the past few days and this change is not great.

:)

BlackAspen, Jul 27, 2020

2. CMD and PowerShell

Hi Andre,

I did all items you listed.

After reboot, running CMD and powershell (admin) had the same result ("no app associated"). So I turned the feature off in taskbar settings.

Regards,

Danker

dschaareman, Jul 27, 2020
  3. jsmin Win User
    Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Jul 27, 2020
  4. Problems with Screen Redraws in Powershell/CMD/Explorer in 19042.421

File explorer

Hi Mick,

I am sorry to know that the File Explorer is not working on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to right-click on it to unpin it from the task bar.

Then search for File Explorer in Search. Then right-click on it to Pin it to Taskbar.

If the issue persists, try the steps below.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the Command prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

Problems with Screen Redraws in Powershell/CMD/Explorer in 19042.421

1. Problems with Screen Redraws in Powershell/CMD/Explorer in 19042.421 - Similar Threads - Problems Screen Redraws

2. CMD and PowerShell Closing after a couple of seconds, CMD and Powershell closing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CMD and PowerShell Closing after a couple of seconds, CMD and Powershell closing.: My Laptop is fine i didnt download any viruses, Didnt mess with system files nor modify it. After a normal restart, A message that pops up for half a second saying "This app wont work on this computer" Or something like that The messages appears and disappears too fast its...
  3. CMD and PowerShell Closing after a couple of seconds, CMD and Powershell closing.

in Windows 10 Customization
    CMD and PowerShell Closing after a couple of seconds, CMD and Powershell closing.: My Laptop is fine i didnt download any viruses, Didnt mess with system files nor modify it. After a normal restart, A message that pops up for half a second saying "This app wont work on this computer" Or something like that The messages appears and disappears too fast its...
  4. Are Powershell same as CMD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are Powershell same as CMD?: seems to do the saAME https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/are-powershell-same-as-cmd/0afdbbb0-6edb-4ef2-9b64-07b63e698c55
  5. Are Powershell same as CMD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are Powershell same as CMD?: seems to do the saAME https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/are-powershell-same-as-cmd/0afdbbb0-6edb-4ef2-9b64-07b63e698c55
  6. Are Powershell same as CMD?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. CMD and Powershell RUSH

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CMD and Powershell RUSH: Hi mods,My Windows 10 is running cmd and power shell automatically even though I didn't open them. Some errors are popping up and browsers are closing automatically. I captured the picture with my phone because it also freezes my pc mouse. Please help....
  8. Powershell and cmd no network

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Powershell and cmd no network: I got my windows from school try to install choco package manager or adding the repo to power shell . non are working as its saying that there is no internet on both cmd and powershell tried ping and curl its the same. But my browser and other apps have great network . Is...
  9. CMD and PowerShell

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CMD and PowerShell: Hi all, I run Windows 10, v 1803. Clicking Start, typing CMD, there is only "Command Prompt (desktop application)". Win key + X shows "Windows PowerShell" and "Windows PowerShell (Admin)". If after Win key+R I choose Windows PowerShell" pops up a message: Same with...
  10. cmd vs powershell

in Windows 10 Support
    cmd vs powershell: Greetings. As a normal PC-geek I don't know how, when and why I should use Powershell instead of cmd. Or in another way, why has Microsoft changed cmd to Powershell in the right-click menu? What are the benefits? Or has Microsoft just done this to make fun of us, that...