Windows 10: problems with Spectre update KB4100347

Discus and support problems with Spectre update KB4100347 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So Windows Update downloaded the Spectre patch, KB4100347, earlier this week -- and it seriously screwed up my processor speeds. I've got an i7-6950,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MJF74, Aug 24, 2018.

1. MJF74 Win User

problems with Spectre update KB4100347

So Windows Update downloaded the Spectre patch, KB4100347, earlier this week -- and it seriously screwed up my processor speeds. I've got an i7-6950, overclocked to 4250 on the front five cores and 4375 on the back five -- the first screenshot attached shows the proper reading in HWMonitor.

problems with Spectre update KB4100347 [​IMG]

After the patch, even though the overclocking settings in my BIOS haven't changed, everything's screwed up -- all the cores are clocked to 4375, except random ones (it changes depending on reboot) that are massively downgraded. In addition, the update breaks Intel Turbo Boost Max, which does not boot, shows up as not installed in the device manager, and which will not reinstall or start (there's an error message saying there's a problem and a BIOS setting might need to be changed.

problems with Spectre update KB4100347 [​IMG]

So I know an update like this is needed because of Spectre; but I also know that my processor number is not actually among those listed in the knowledge base article. So is Windows downloading this update incorrectly? Is there another one that will actually work correctly with my processor? Is there something I have to do in the BIOS before I install this update? That's a problem because Asus still hasn't released anything but a beta BIOS for my board. I currently have my computer rolled back and KB4100347 blocked, but that seems like a temporary fix given the serious nature of Spectre. Any advice would be welcome.

:)

MJF74, Aug 24, 2018

2. Spectre Update - KB4100347

I have a Skylake I7, 1803 64bit PC, using Defender.

I've downloaded and run the latest
    GRC Inspectre tool
    and it reports that whilst I am Meltdown protected I'm not Spectre protected, and that my CPUID is 506E3. So I decided to investigate. I am aware that microcode for the BIOS is ( or soon will be ) available but I thought Microsoft was
    also offering the same code as a Windows Update.

Following the latest update to 1803 (
    build 17134.112
    ) which has the inactivated fixes for the latest Spectre versions included, I ran the InSpectre tool again and it gave me the same results as above. The KB article for this build also mentions

another guidance article

KB4073119
    , and this article at questions 9 and 13 mentions the original update of offering of

KB4100347

And now the question. Whilst the answer for question 13 states "Intel microcode is available through Windows Update, WSUS, or the Microsoft Update Catalog.", and KB4100347 says
    "To download and install this update, go to Settings > Update
    & Security > Windows Update and then select Check
    for updates
    . If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available.", I've done this and I'm not being offered that update.

I know I can, or should be able to get it from the catalog BUT should I have got it from Windows Update in the first place. I've checked 'update
    history' and 'installed updates' and its not listed either as a successful update or a failed update.

So, the main questions are, are the articles correct? Should I be able to get it from Windows Update now? And if they are correct, and I'm not getting it, why not?

Or have I misread one or more of the articles?

Thanks

George222(2), Aug 24, 2018
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    Spectre Update - KB4100347

Hi George,

Microsoft is making available Intel validated microcode updates around Spectre Variant 2 (CVE 2017-5715 “Branch Target Injection”). To get the latest Intel microcode updates via Windows Update, you must have installed the Intel microcode on devices running
    a Windows 10 operating system prior to upgrading to the Windows 10 April 2018 Update (version 1803).

The microcode update is also available directly from Catalog if it was not installed on the device prior to upgrading the OS. Intel microcode is available via Windows Update, WSUS, or the Microsoft Update Catalog. For more information about the protection against
    Spectre and Meltdown, you can check this
    link

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Aug 24, 2018
  4. problems with Spectre update KB4100347

Spectre Update - KB4100347

Again, thanks for your response.

"If it was not installed on the device prior to upgrading the system, the update will not be available in the Windows Update" - OK, I didnt appreciate that bit.

I guess I can download it from the MS catalog then, and install it from there.

However, just two last points:

If this code correction is the same as the released Intel BIOS update code, why do I need to Install both? Or do you mean drivers for Graphics cards etc. (mine are updated).

AND

Why isn't it being released by WU for everyone? Surely this will catch a lot of people out and leave them 'Spectre vulnerable' should Spectre become a real world attack. Im sure a large percentage of MS home users, esp on W10 as it "keeps itself up to date",
    aren't aware of the catalog OR the fact that this update is effectively missing from thier systems.

George222(2), Aug 24, 2018
Thema:

problems with Spectre update KB4100347

1. problems with Spectre update KB4100347 - Similar Threads - problems Spectre update

2. The New Update: 2018-10 KB4100347

in Windows 10 Support
    The New Update: 2018-10 KB4100347: I was going to shut off my computer and go to bed but then there is an update called "2018-10 Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4100347)" (and probably"Windows 10, version 1809"), i have to look for answers online to see if its safe or not, because...
  3. KB4100347 causes Windows boot up problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB4100347 causes Windows boot up problem: Yesterday, I had problems with Windows Update KB4100347. The update seems to be installed succesfully, but after the Windows login screen, I get a white screen with a scroll box and some strange text. Definitely not the expected desktop background with the icons and the...
  4. Windows Update - KB4100347

Windows Update - KB4100347: The windows update for KB4100347 has been trying to download into my PC for the last 4-5 days. All it ever gets to is 2% then nothing more. After this point it just tries (in vain) to repeat the download from the start again. The same thing happens with my laptop except...
  5. KB4100347

KB4100347: Has this update been fixed or is it still going to cause boot problems on my i5 laptop ? It is being pumped out automatically ! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/kb4100347/613073eb-dbe5-4983-b4f2-42d1e4f6f76a
  6. KB4100347: Intel microcode updates 0

KB4100347: Intel microcode updates 0: After installing this update I immediately closed all programs and restarted. At first boot, I let it sit for 15-20 minutes, never gettinf past the system logo with spinning dots at the beginning of my boot sequence. I let the next boot attempt go for only 5 minutes, after...
  7. LAAAAG KB4100347: Intel microcode updates

LAAAAG KB4100347: Intel microcode updates: My laptop just got new updates, after restarting my laptop, noticed some lag that weren't there before. To make sure of that I started a game (Overwatch), and yes I kept lagging because of the cpu,gpu I am not sure but it all started after that update, before I never had...
  8. KB4100347: Intel microcode updates

KB4100347: Intel microcode updates: WHY oh WHY would I need to install this on my AMD based Machine.. Please do tell Microsoft as the only chip in my machine that's actually made by Intel is the Network Interface Chip (NIC) and everything else is either AMD or Asmedia I can see no good reason for me to have to...
  9. KB4100347

KB4100347: Does installing KB4100347 make any permanent changes in a PC that remain when the update is uninstalled or the HDD is wiped and W10 1803 is re installed? My HDD is at 100% activity nearly all the time with only 1-2% CPU? This renders the PC slow and unusable. I did a clean...
  10. KB4100347: Intel microcode updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KB4100347: Intel microcode updates: KB4100347: Intel microcode updates Applies to: Windows Server version 1803Windows 10 version 1803 Summary Intel recently announced that they have completed their validations and started to release microcode for recent CPU platforms related to Spectre Variant 2 (CVE...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kb4100347 problems

2. problems with spectre update kb4100347

3. problem KB4100347 audio