Windows 10: Problems with switchable graphics in my HP Pavilion dv7t-xw899av CTO

Discus and support Problems with switchable graphics in my HP Pavilion dv7t-xw899av CTO in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello! Recently I decided to restore my old HP Pavilion dv7-6c05ss, so I changed its motherboard (the priginal one was broken), CPU, RAM, WLAN module,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by rasikreality, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Problems with switchable graphics in my HP Pavilion dv7t-xw899av CTO

Hello!
    Recently I decided to restore my old HP Pavilion dv7-6c05ss, so I changed its motherboard (the priginal one was broken), CPU, RAM, WLAN module, and its hard and optical drives with a Crucial SSD with 1 TB of capacity in both places. Finally, I purchased a Windows 10 Pro (20H2 version) license and now everything is working so so well, even the name of my device changed from dv7-6c05ss to dv7t-xw899av Quad CTO.
    Everything except the switchable graphics, which are gonna make me mad someday if they still having all the problems they're having until now. I'll be as clear as possible, so hopefully someone can help me. My laptop has an AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series and an Intel HD Graphics 3000. Its CPU is an Intel Core i7-2860QM. I'll divide this thread in two titles, one explaining the issues Intel-related, and the other one about AMD issues.

Intel HD Graphics 3000:
    - When I use the PC with the battery, I leave it one moment and then I use the touchpad, the screen starts distortioning the content, and all the colors dissapear. This last a couple of seconds, and only if I leave the PC for a moment and the i use it again and ONLY when I'm using it unplugged. The terporary solution I've found is to turn off the option 'Refresh screen rate' under 'Energy options' in the Intel graphics app. With this thing turned off, the distortion dissapears completely.
    AMD Radeon HD 6700M:
    - When I try to use design or 3D apps like Photoshop, Illustrator, Paint 3D or Blender, I need to disable the graphic card drivers. Otherwise the mentioned apps don't work. Some of them aren't even capable to start. The only solution I've found at the moment is that one mentioned: disable the driver, use the program, save my work, and then enable it again. I've tried other things like switch them to 'energy saving' mode in the switcheable graphics options, but when I do that and I try to open one app it gives me an 1114 error.
    - Slow start of the OS: when I turn on my laptop, It remains at least five minutes on a black screen, and then my log in screen appears. I found out this problem is due to the energy management of the AMD graphics, and I found a temporary solution too: disabling the ULPS in regedit.

As you can see, all problems have their patch, but it results in options that I cannot use anymore, practically all related to the power management. Recently I saw in this forums that some people are capable of modifying the drivers so they start working good again without problems so, if you know where can I find modded drivers or, as an extreme solution, how can I disable the AMD card, I'd be very grateful to you all.
    Thank you, and hope we can find a solution to this problems who have been chasing me for years!

:)

rasikreality, Jan 17, 2021
  2. Volja59 Win User

Problems with HP switchable graphics - graphics drivers made slow boot

I have HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook with switchable graphics bought year 2012.
    I have had almost all the time problems with those 2 graphics drivers (AMD HD 6770 and Intel HD Graphics 3000)
    HP do not have made new switchable graphics drivers (for example for Windows 7) for years and everybody can see that internet is full of very disappointed and frustrated comments of that!
    Now when I updated my Windows 7 to Windows 10 It became one big problem caused by switchable graphics. Booting time became very long - terrible long!
    It came black screen that lasted 1 minute 25 seconds!
    I tested it and took those graphics driver away and then - that black screen was only 2-5 seconds.
    I discussed with Microsoft technician (in Finland) and he said that they put only the basic drivers to Windows 10 and this time it do not work normally.
    HP is responsible for those special correct drivers!
    I have not found correct drivers from HP-support sites (Have any other??)

But there is one good way to solve that problem!
    I installed from Leshcatlabs.net (Catalyst 15.7 WHQL UnifL v1.2) graphics drivers

Downloads - leshcatlabs.net

And everything works fine - that blank screen is now only 3-5 seconds and switchable graphics works normally!
    (First install Intel driver and then AMD driver and that is all!)

Volja59, Jan 17, 2021
  3. AMD RADEON switchable graphics not working in recent updates of Windows 10

Hi. I have the same problem with my HP Pavilion 15cd006la... The switchable graphics never work.

Ezequiel Passa Perez Constanzo, Jan 17, 2021
  4. GM Spates Win User

Problems with switchable graphics in my HP Pavilion dv7t-xw899av CTO

HP Switchable Graphics Problem

My computer is an HP Pavilion dv6-6047cl Entertainment Notebook PC with Intel i7-2630QM 2.0 GHz processor, with 8 GB RAM.
    I have had several different graphics problems and have upgraded the drivers.
    It has HP Switchable Graphics with an Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver and AMD Radeon HD6700M, with the Catalyst Control Center (CCC).

The computer recently crashed and would only open in non-Aero mode (screen looked like safe mode).
    It also made IE11 settings changes to the computer, and added a search add-on called "OneSourse, which I have deleted.
    These problems were not corrected by system restore.
    I scanned the Computer with Microsoft Safety Scanner, Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes, and it checked out clean.

Due to continuing graphics problems, I deleted AMD Radeon HD6700M and Catalyst Control Center, and am just using the Intel HD Graphics 3000 display driver.
    It seems to work fine in this configuration, as there is no more CPU robbing Catalyst Control Center or freezing screens on start up, among the other problems I noted.
    I normally use the computer in plugged in mode.

Is there any down side to eliminating the AMD Driver and CCC and using only the Intel HD Graphics 3000 display driver?

I do not use this computer to play games, and while it could possibly use it for Blu-ray playback, it is primarily used for Internet surfing, Youtube, and running Microsoft Office programs.

GM Spates, Jan 17, 2021
Thema:

Problems with switchable graphics in my HP Pavilion dv7t-xw899av CTO

1. Problems with switchable graphics in my HP Pavilion dv7t-xw899av CTO - Similar Threads - Problems switchable graphics

2. Windows 10 Switchable Graphics Discrete GPU Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Switchable Graphics Discrete GPU Problem: Hello, I have an issue with the switchable graphics display properties. I have analyzed the problem for literal years and no one has seemed to find an answer.The problem in detail:Laptop <Lenovo ideapad 310-abr15>OS <Windows 10 Home 21H2>GPU #0 <Radeon R5 Graphics>GPU #1...
  3. HP Pavilion dv6 with Switchable graphic card -

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    HP Pavilion dv6 with Switchable graphic card -: Hi all, I have HP Pavilion dv6t CTO. Product: LF374AAR . I have install Windows 10 Home. version: 1909. with two GPU's: GPU1: Intel HD 3000 GPU2: AMD Radeon HD 6770M/2GB DDR5. The computer is working only with the Intel GPU. but It cant "swap" to the AMD GPU. (I need it...
  4. HP Pavilion dv6 with Switchable graphic card -

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP Pavilion dv6 with Switchable graphic card -: Hi all, I have HP Pavilion dv6t CTO. Product: LF374AAR . I have install Windows 10 Home. version: 1909. with two GPU's: GPU1: Intel HD 3000 GPU2: AMD Radeon HD 6770M/2GB DDR5. The computer is working only with the Intel GPU. but It cant "swap" to the AMD GPU. (I need it...
  5. Need help with Switchable Graphics

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with Switchable Graphics: Does any of you got switchable graphic problem it not working its running on intel HD I have a Dell Inspiron 15r se 7520 it has a 2gb AMD radion 7730m problem is that when playing games it only uses Intel HD 4000 not switching to AMD Any one got any solution for this...
  6. HP laptop switchable graphic card on Windows 10

HP laptop switchable graphic card on Windows 10: My HP laptop has two graphic cards, and both of them are listed at the device manager: Code: Intel (R) HD Graphics 4000 Radeon (TM) HD 8670M[/quote] HP supplied a Windows 8.1 driver which, in theory, would allow to switch the graphic cards (with the famous Catalyst). In...
  7. Intel/Amd switchable graphics problem

Intel/Amd switchable graphics problem: hey, i need some help. I bought a HP 15-bs021nm a moth ago, and it has intel hd 520 and Radeon 520 graphics. I want to play games with it, but the problem is it uses intel hd instad of the radeon graphics. How do i set radeon to be the default graphics adapter? specs in...
  8. Need (updated?) Graphic Driver for my HP Pavilion

Need (updated?) Graphic Driver for my HP Pavilion: Here's the issue: 1) I get a rainbow-y 'snow' picture when I press any key to 'wake up' the computer from a sleep mode.. I had to shut down the computer and boot back up 2) When I leave the computer on and had to go away for a couple hours.. what happen is that when I...
  9. HP Switchable Graphics Problem

HP Switchable Graphics Problem: My computer is an HP Pavilion dv6-6047cl Entertainment Notebook PC with Intel i7-2630QM 2.0 GHz processor, with 8 GB RAM. I have had several different graphics problems and have upgraded the drivers. It has HP Switchable Graphics with an Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver and...
  10. Problems with HP switchable graphics - graphics drivers made slow boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problems with HP switchable graphics - graphics drivers made slow boot: I have HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook with switchable graphics bought year 2012. I have had almost all the time problems with those 2 graphics drivers (AMD HD 6770 and Intel HD Graphics 3000) HP do not have made new switchable graphics drivers (for example for Windows 7) for...