Windows 10: Problems with the Restart and Shutdown Buttons

Discus and support Problems with the Restart and Shutdown Buttons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Good morning everyone, I have an Hp running Win10 Pro. When I want to shutdown or restart, The buttons don't seem to work. I end up doing a "hard"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cmmpro1, Feb 15, 2018.

1. cmmpro1 Win User

Problems with the Restart and Shutdown Buttons

Good morning everyone,
    I have an Hp running Win10 Pro. When I want to shutdown or restart, The buttons don't seem to work. I end up doing a "hard" shutdown. Has anyone experienced that and if you have, how do you fix it? Thank you in advance for any help I receive on this.

:)

cmmpro1, Feb 15, 2018

2. Shutdown and restart problems with processor timer..??

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

To better understand the issue please let us know if you are using a desktop or a laptop.

Method 1: If you are using a desktop I would suggest you to completely shut down the PC and remove the power chord from the socket then plug in again and restart, to see if the issue still persists.

Method 2: I would also suggest you to turn on Fast Startup in System Settings and see if it helps. Please follow the steps below and see if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X, and Select the Power Options.

2. Click/tap on the Choose what the power buttons do link on the left side.

3. Click/tap on the Change settings that are currently unavailable link at the top.

4. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

5. Under Shutdown settings, check the Turn on fast startup box,
    click/tap on the Save changes button.

Method 3: Updating the BIOS

The BIOS may also require to be updated to the latest version and firmware. You may contact the BIOS manufacturer for additional assistance. Also check whether the CMOS battery is working fine.

Note: Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring.

If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Deepak_Krishnan R, Feb 15, 2018
  3. Shutdown and restart problems with processor timer..??

I tried everything with it. Everything on my laptop is up to date. Double checked every setting but problem still persists. :/

AyushGupta8, Feb 15, 2018
  4. philc43 Win User

I need some clarification, you say you have an HP but the My Computer section describes a Lenovo machine. I can't check which device you have. Are the buttons on the device or are you referring to the icons and options on the Start menu?

There are ten different ways to shutdown your PC given in the following tutorial. How many of these work?

Shut Down Computer in Windows 10

philc43, Feb 15, 2018
  5. cmmpro1 Win User
    I need to change that in the My computer section. I primarily use the Hp for work purposes. The Lenovo is a spare computer that I am not running at the time. However, I am talking about the icons in the start menu.

cmmpro1, Feb 15, 2018
  6. afdude08 Win User
    Check to make sure that fast startup is not turned on. I had this EXACT problem and the fix for me was to disable fast user startup in your power options. Hope this help! *Smile

afdude08, Feb 16, 2018
  7. cmmpro1 Win User
    Thank you for the info. I decided to just use the lid as a way to shut down. However, I am going to take a look at that and if that is the case, I will change it. Thank you again for the information!!

cmmpro1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Problems with the Restart and Shutdown Buttons - Similar Threads - Problems Restart Shutdown

2. Restart or Shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restart or Shutdown: I have a set of laptops which are shared with the entire school. The same laptop is being used by 4 different users. Is it better for each user to logout from their account then shut down or logout then restart?...
  3. After shutdown/restart the power button is still blinking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After shutdown/restart the power button is still blinking: Hi I'm at windows 11, when I either shutdown or restart my laptop the screen goes shut but the power button is still blinking and if I press any button the screen shows the typical thing you see after turning it on....
  4. After shutdown/restart the power button is still blinking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After shutdown/restart the power button is still blinking: Hi I'm at windows 11, when I either shutdown or restart my laptop the screen goes shut but the power button is still blinking and if I press any button the screen shows the typical thing you see after turning it on....
  5. Shutdown and Restart Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shutdown and Restart Problem: I have Asus vivobook 14. I tried to dual boot ubuntu alongside windows 10 on it. But the installation failed. After that, shutdown and Restart took way too long. For shutdown, the screen turn off but the power indicator turn off after a minute or two. And when I restart the...
  6. Shutdown and Restart Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shutdown and Restart Problem: I have Asus vivobook 14. I tried to dual boot ubuntu alongside windows 10 on it. But the installation failed. After that, shutdown and Restart took way too long. For shutdown, the screen turn off but the power indicator turn off after a minute or two. And when I restart the...
  7. Windows 10 Update 2004 Problem: Shutdown button makes Restart my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update 2004 Problem: Shutdown button makes Restart my computer: When I press Shutdown button my computer restarts after update 2004. Windows 10 Pro Version 2004 Motherrboard: Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha CPU: Ryzen Threadripper 1920x Memory: 32 Graphics: Zotac RTX 2060...
  8. Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart: Event log shows windows update causing a restart: The process C:\Windows\System32\usocoreworker.exe MILESTONE-JB has initiated the restart of computer MILESTONE-JB on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Service pack Planned Reason...
  9. Shutdown Button Delay & Long Shutdowns

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown Button Delay & Long Shutdowns: Hello, I've been researching this issue I'm experiencing but I haven't come across anything that has helped. Issue: Click on the start menu > Power > Shutdown. Computer does not immediately shut down. I can continue to do tasks for about 30seconds. The computer...
  10. Laptop shutdown/restarting problems.

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop shutdown/restarting problems.: Hi, so whenever I shutdown my computer Start > Shutdown, fans, LEDs stay on most of the time but sometimes it turns off completely. Or, when I restart my computer Start > Restart, it doesn't restart but shutdowns. I don't know what to do, Fast Startup is turned off, all...