Windows 10: Problems with turning on file history

Discus and support Problems with turning on file history in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My issues showed up some months ago, all of a sudden the photos I had neatly compacted into folders totally disappeared. I have been able to download a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TomZimmerman4, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Problems with turning on file history

My issues showed up some months ago, all of a sudden the photos I had neatly compacted into folders totally disappeared. I have been able to download a few camera chips, and put some files back in, but everything is just scattered everywhere. There is little seperation in any of the blocks of photos, its just one huge page, and this is mostly off one chip. The rest don't want to download , everything is mess. And you try to turn it on and your supposed to add another hard drive? I'm not an expert, but this is microsofts fault that this is all messed up, we need a fix to be able to

:)

TomZimmerman4, Sep 16, 2021
  2. TiredofFH Win User

Turn on File History in Windows 10

Thanks for the suggestions.

The turn off button was greyed out and was unresponsive.

I had been advised to run the system file checker several time and found no problems.

In the meantime my machine has been returned to the suppler for a factory reset and is working again.

TiredofFH, Sep 16, 2021
  3. Mark Ole Win User
    Turn on File History in Windows 10

Hi,

To address your concern, we suggest that you turn off File history then add the drive again.

To turn off File History, please follow these steps:

• Click the Start​ button, select Settings.
      Click Update & security.
    • Choose Backupand click More options.
    • See advanced settings, then click the Turn off button.
    Restart the system then turn back on File History and add the drive.

If the issue persist, run the System File Checker tool. System File Checker
    scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To run this tool, please refer to this
    link

Let us know how it goes.

Mark Ole, Sep 16, 2021
  4. Jerry8AB Win User

Problems with turning on file history

File History - Does not turn off

Thanks again for your suggestion. Most of the items mentioned were mentioned in your previous post.

As I mentioned in my original post, File History shows history entries in my Task Schedule menu History listings even though I have turned it off. Now, I did notice one other entry in the History listing. The History listing said “Maintenance Mode.” So,
    I wonder if that mode reacts differently and rejects my File History Off and Task Schedule settings and lists File History listings under a different parameter. That may account for the history dates not agreeing with File History and Task Schedule dates.

Jerry

Jerry8AB, Sep 16, 2021
Thema:

Problems with turning on file history

1. Problems with turning on file history - Similar Threads - Problems turning file

2. can't turn on file history

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can't turn on file history: I am trying to set up an external hard disk but can't get the file history to turn on. Can you assist?Thank you,Erich Swett https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-turn-on-file-history/766d9f1d-1437-4e61-9b39-3134768eda18
  3. How to turn on File History ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to turn on File History ?: From the control panel : How to turn on File History ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-on-file-history/5412cd2b-5ce4-4558-ba2b-5c0f6a865dbf
  4. how to turn on file history

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to turn on file history: how to turn on file history. All my files were deleted after las windows 10 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-on-file-history/42b13248-9721-4299-9b97-eb212c0bbce7
  5. problem with file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    problem with file history: I'm just setting up Windows 10 on my new computer. I can't get file history to work. This is the error message: Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\......
  6. File history problems

File history problems: I went into file history to get back a file and it wouldn't let me restore the file because it said my drive wasnt plugged in when it was so I tried selecting a new drive I kept getting errors but it eventually worked and I selected the same drive again but now all my...
  7. File History problems

File History problems: I have Windows 10 and file history is set to operate and store files on an external drive. But I don't see anything on that drive called file history. Plus, as it is almost full, I added a new drive for file history, at least temporarily. But now I need to find previous...
  8. Can't turn file history on

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can't turn file history on: [img] File history is turned off and I'm not able to turn it back on. As you can see from the screenshot the "Turn On" button is grayed out. I'm not sure how this happened, but believe it was while trying to backup files and folders. How can I turn file history back on,...
  9. File History Problems

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File History Problems: I searched the forum for "File History Problems" with no success, perhaps this should be under Performance/Maintenance? Thanks in advance for the past valuable hints, tips, guidance over the years from TenForums as well as 8 over recent years without having to actually ask...
  10. File history problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File history problem: How to solve the problem to turn on the file history. It is saying that in yellow box''No usable drive was found. We recommend that you use an external drive for File History. Connect a drive and refresh this page, or use a network location.'' So what can i do ? I don't...