Windows 10: Problems with W 10 on connecting to a private home network.

Discus and support Problems with W 10 on connecting to a private home network. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi; W 10 is being very problematic in connecting to a home network and with other computers on the network. I have always had a Homegroup defined... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Flootus, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Flootus Win User

Problems with W 10 on connecting to a private home network.

Hi;

W 10 is being very problematic in connecting to a home network and with other computers on the network. I have always had a Homegroup defined with a W 7 and a W 8.1 connected up. Always very consistent and reliable. Now having been forced to W 10 with a new computer, I am attempting to connect it up. It is being incredibly flakey. I successfully had it talking with the W 8.1 computer and vice versa. I had W 10 seeing the W 7 computer, but it cannot go into any of the folders. But the W 7 computer can see the W 10 computer and can browse folders, etc.

That was yesterday. Today the W 10 computer cannot be seen by any of the other two computers nor can it see them. Initially, I had the 8.1 and the W 10 booted up and connected to the home network. Can't see each other. As a test for router network flakiness, I then booted up the W 7 computer. Boom, the W 8.1 can see it immediately and connect. And vice versa. But not the W 10 computer.

I have network discovery on, password encoding off, got past the funky Network Credential issue with W 10 seeing the W 8.1 computer, but W 10 is still completely dysfunctional.

Anybody else been through this? I've read numerous threads about the problems of network discovery, netwrok credentials etc, but did anyone continue to have problems after getting through all that?

:)

Flootus, Dec 22, 2019

2. Error: "Can create home group in private network only" - the wireless network is private though

Hi Ron,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about connecting to HomeGroup network with error: Can create home group in private network only, we will help you with this issue.

I would like to inform that this issue might have occurred due to settings in the Network type on Windows 10.

Step 1: I suggest you to check with the network type on Windows 10, try the below:

Right click on the Network icon in the System tray
    and click on Open Network and Sharing Center.

Here you will see the network you are connected to and what type of network Windows 10 has identified it as. (Private/ Public).

Step 2: Also, I suggest you to change the network type to Private if it is not and check if it helps.

• Log-in as an Administrator, on the desktop, click on the Network system icon in the taskbar notification area.
    • Right click on your network connection and click on
      Turn sharing on or off
    • Click on Yes, turn on sharing and connect to devices.

• Accept the UAC (User Account Control) prompt and check if it helps.

For reference: HomeGroup problems in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 22, 2019
  3. DaleNoel Win User
    Win 10 Network Printer Connection Problem

I have tried, when using the wifi from a Win 7 computer to connect to the printer connected to it. Others can connect.

I did do the three steps outlined:

• Open File Explorer. Pick the "Network" icon from the left pane (navigation pane) of the file explorer UI.
    • If sharing is turned off you will see a pale yellow line towards the top of the window that states "Network Discovery is turned off. Network computers and devices are not visible. Click to change...".
    • Click this bar and select "Turn on network discovery and file sharing"

None of the suggestion worked.

I did notice that the PC I'm connecting to is 'Private' while I am listed as 'Public'.

• Can this be causing the problem?
    • Are there other suggestions?

I need to be connected to use the other printer so work flow can not be disrupted and someone else needs to print the file for me.

I will be with this group again on Monday.

Thank you.

DaleNoel, Dec 22, 2019
  4. Problems with W 10 on connecting to a private home network.

private connection

Hi,

You can customize your Network connection to either Public or Private network. To set your network connection to Private, you can follow these steps:

• Go to Settings, and then select Network & Internet.
    • On the left pane, select internet connection you are using (ex: Ethernet, Wi-Fi, etc.).
    • Click the network name that you are currently connected to.
    • Under Network window, enable Make this PC discoverable button.

Problems with W 10 on connecting to a private home network. 01ac483c-a3a0-4fbe-8a73-e02e8fe69afa.png

Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to use.

Monica Cam, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

Problems with W 10 on connecting to a private home network.

1. Problems with W 10 on connecting to a private home network. - Similar Threads - Problems connecting private

2. Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network: Computer 1 and Computer 2 are on the same Workgroup. There are No Windows Credentials on either Computer 1 or Computer 2. I am not getting the Enter Network Credentials windows anymore on either computer on trying to access the other computer from one computer. I have made...
  3. Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network: Computer 1 and Computer 2 are on the same Workgroup. There are No Windows Credentials on either Computer 1 or Computer 2. I am not getting the Enter Network Credentials windows anymore on either computer on trying to access the other computer from one computer. I have made...
  4. Problems: your Connection is not private

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problems: your Connection is not private: This problems held from yesterday night. and when i logging my mail address or youtube.com in chorome then showing your Connection is not private. I check Date & Time and others reason also... but others are ok......
  5. Private and Public Network Connections

Private and Public Network Connections: Hey everyone, just recently I reset my modem and router and my laptop. I have made sure that my home router is secure yet when I connect to it, if I go to settings it sets me as a public network. This is weird because when I got my laptop and connected, the computer...
  6. Shared Printer on a Private Network w/ Multiple Users

Shared Printer on a Private Network w/ Multiple Users: Hey there, So as the title suggests I have multiple laptops connected to a Private Network, along with the printers we're using. The printers aren't shared, they're accessed separately by each individual laptop. What I'm trying to accomplish is to have my laptop share all...
  7. Switch from private to home network, Win 10

Switch from private to home network, Win 10: I can't see my other networked PC on one of my other networked PC's, and noticed that my network is set up as "private" vs "home". How can I fix this on Win 10? Running Win 1803 version....
  8. Private Network Connection

Private Network Connection: Why does my personal HP Windows 10 laptop show in Windows Defender Firewall that I am "Connected" to "Guest or public networks" even when I disconnect from my xfinity modem and "forget" my "known network" credentials? I can't figure out what I am "connected" to? [ATTACH]...
  9. Private and Public Network Problem

Private and Public Network Problem: Here's what I am trying to accomplish We have events at different locations where we need a private network. The network is wired between a workstation (that acts as a server) and 2-4 data input stations. They are all connected through a switch, which is connected to a...
  10. Cannot get home network connection set to private!

Cannot get home network connection set to private!: I'm uncertain how long the connection to my home network has said it's 'public'. Thankfully, I can still get here on my laptop. However, my new RCA tablet/pc, which was running 8.1 (I upgraded to 10 out of the box), will not let me get to the internet (which is how I learned...