Windows 10: Problems with Windows Boot to SSD --fixed

Discus and support Problems with Windows Boot to SSD --fixed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi folks I had a rare Windows problem that some might encounter with booting to Windows. On an older computer I didn't need the SATA DVD drive so what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, May 31, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Problems with Windows Boot to SSD --fixed

Hi folks I had a rare Windows problem that some might encounter with booting to Windows. On an older computer I didn't need the SATA DVD drive so what I did I connected two SSD's via a spliter - I've enough SATA ports on the mobo so that was fine. The two SSD's were a 500GB one and a 250 GB one -- the 250 GB one went through the DVD sata connector while the 500 GB one went through a spare Mobo Sata port. I installed Windows on the 250 GB one -- wouldn't boot unless I put the boot loader on the 500GB one - then it worked fine. Linux didn't care but I suppose Windows seems to know from the hardware if its booting from "an external" device or an internal one. Until I switched the SSD ports around I was getting errors as well like "Inacessible boot device etc". I swapped the SATA connections for the two SSD's and its working OK booting from the 250 GB SSD --- there's absolutely no problem power wise splitting the power from the DVD connector into 2 SSD's -- power drain on these is minimal !!!. I wanted the larger SSD for Linux and VM's . I only found out about this when using GRUB while it was "searching for other OS's". So if you do use the DVD port for SSD's on desktop type computers check that the SATA connector goes to a bootable SATA port on the MOBO that Windows can boot from !!! Weird error --might not be applicable on all systems - but Windows really does throw hissy sissy fits at times !!!!! Linux systems don't care BTW - you can boot from any device it finds a boot loader (GRUB) - even internal SD cards !! Cheers jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 31, 2021

2. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, May 31, 2021
  3. Jborg Win User
    windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

Looks to be similar to this: https://www.back2gaming.com/focus-story/ssd-optimization-for-windows-10-windows-8-and-8-1/

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, May 31, 2021
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Booting/Fixing Windows 10 Disk.

The easiest/most reliable way to fix Windows boot problems has historically been Macrium Reflect's Fix Windows start problems utility. Probably the easiest way to make it is to make a bootable USB flash drive or DVD of Kyhi's recovery tools:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

Boot into his recovery tools, run Macrium Reflect, under the restore menu will be the utility to fix Windows start problems. You will get a list of Windows installations that it finds then in the next step you will get a list of bootable partitions available for Macrium Reflect to fix.

You can also install Macrium Reflect free - but the fix Windows start utility is only available when you actually boot the computer from a Macrium Reflect rescue drive with Windows PE:
    Macrium Reflect Free

NavyLCDR, May 31, 2021
Thema:

1. Problems with Windows Boot to SSD --fixed - Similar Threads - Problems Boot SSD

2. SSD boot problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD boot problem: Hi! I bought SSD and i wanted to install win 10 for this. But when i installed the first part in setup my pc restarting but my SSD cant boot. My ssd settings: gpt and bios on UEFI only mod. And the UEFI doesnt see my SSD either. But if i chose Legacy and UEFI option just my...
  3. SSD boot problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD boot problem: Hi! I bought SSD and i wanted to install win 10 for this. But when i installed the first part in setup my pc restarting but my SSD cant boot. My ssd settings: gpt and bios on UEFI only mod. And the UEFI doesnt see my SSD either. But if i chose Legacy and UEFI option just my...
  4. SSD boot problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Problem with booting to SSD with Windows installed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with booting to SSD with Windows installed: So yesterday my PC was kind of acting up, it wasn't detecting the SSD with my Windows 10 Pro installation. Once I switched the SATA cables I got a screen that said, "Windows failed to start" at the bottom it had the error code 0xc0000001. When I switched the SATA cables for...
  6. Problem with booting to SSD with Windows installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with booting to SSD with Windows installed: So yesterday my PC was kind of acting up, it wasn't detecting the SSD with my Windows 10 Pro installation. Once I switched the SATA cables I got a screen that said, "Windows failed to start" at the bottom it had the error code 0xc0000001. When I switched the SATA cables for...
  7. SSD Boot problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD Boot problem: Hi, I'm having an issue with my SSD. In my computer I have a Samsung Evo 860 with windows 10 installed on it and a HDD just for backup with no OS installed. I bought a new SSD same model than mine and wanted to install windows 10 on it. So I just disconnected the SATA cable...
  8. Problems booting Windows 10 on an SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problems booting Windows 10 on an SSD: Recently I bought a 1tb SSD to finally get rid of my 8 year old HDD which had all of my files on it. I did a fresh install of Windows onto my SSD using a USB with Installation Media on it. Windows on the SSD worked perfectly, until I removed my HDD from my PC. When I...
  9. Booting problems on SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting problems on SSD: Hi everyone! I have been using my PC with an SSD as my primary drive for about half a year now. I used a cloning software to clone my old HDD onto the SSD, and it worked perfectly, until now. Today my pc bluescreened while playing Overwatch, don't know if thats relevant and...
  10. SSD booting problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SSD booting problem: I recently purchased an SSD drive Lexar 480GB and installed Win10 on it. I had 3 other hard drives but when I installed Windows on the SSD, I had all 3 hard drives disconnected to ensure the whole installation is all on the SSD. After the installation, I confirmed the SSD...