Windows 10: Problems with Windows Family on W10 - not showing recent activity

Discus and support Problems with Windows Family on W10 - not showing recent activity in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My 2 kids have each one laptop with windows 10. I am unable to monitor the activity of the kids through MS family. This is the history 1. I have... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by garce, Sep 6, 2015.

1. garce Win User

Problems with Windows Family on W10 - not showing recent activity

My 2 kids have each one laptop with windows 10. I am unable to monitor the activity of the kids through MS family.

This is the history
    1. I have configured their PCs so
    a. The kids have individual standard accounts
    b. I have set myself and my wife as administrators (individual accounts)
    2. (Online) on Microsoft Family website I have set up family feature and have adults and kids appropriately.
    3. On the kids PCs, I can see the small family icon on the system tray for this feature
    5. (Online) I could set all web filtering, app filtering and pc usage on. When I go to my kids PCs I can see the policy to turn off at 10pm is enabled (by hovering the mouse over the family icon). The policy actually works

The problem is that i don't get to see the app, PC usage or web accessed on PC1. It doesn't update at all. I can see (after some delay) activity of PC2 but that is it.
    Would anybody have any advise?
    Kids start school on Tuesday and was hopping to be able to see this working. I love the feature, hopefully can make it work properly.

:)

garce, Sep 6, 2015

2. Windows defender not turning on giving error code 0X800705b4

After deinstallation of a third-party virus protection on a recently from W7 to W10 updated machine I expected Defender to take over. It was active and could be started from tray, but real-time-protection was off and showed error code 0x800705b4. It turned
    out that family safety service was still active and blocked Defender. Simple Solution was to deactivate the Family Safety Service in services.msc. A more radical solution is to clear the registry from all references to fsssvc.exe and other remains of Family
    Safety.

NorbertSpecht, Sep 6, 2015
  3. NavazKhan Win User
    NavazKhan, Sep 6, 2015
  4. sgillies Win User

I am having the same issue! Two kids, each with their own laptop (running Windows 10) and the "Recent Activity" is only working for one of my kids. Yet all of the other settings (Screen Time and blocked websites) are working. I have been searching for an answer to this issue for 2 weeks now to no avail.

sgillies, Oct 1, 2015
  5. garce Win User
    For clarity my issue was resolved. I removed and readded one kid to the family. It works now. The history takes several hours to update (i see it the day after). Not sure if its supposed to work this way. Control of screen time are immediate.

garce, Oct 1, 2015
  6. sgillies Win User
    Hmmm... I tried that already (almost a week ago) and the recent activity is still not displaying. Thanks for your insight though!

sgillies, Oct 1, 2015
  7. For me Recent Activity is reported some days and not on others. Totally unreliable. This really should get fixed and Microsoft should either spend time to make Family Safety work well or just get out of the way and let the other companies fill the need. One of the worst aspects of Microsoft Family Safety is your child can thwart it by switching their account to local login. Why is this allowed if child is not Admin!! Offering a weakly featured unreliable option is just hurting everyone.

Does anyone know of a good software that lets you control time by specific apps? I want to. be able to allow my children to use the laptop for school work but limit time to games and other play activities.

steve23433, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Problems with Windows Family on W10 - not showing recent activity - Similar Threads - Problems Family W10

2. Problems with Family Safety started to happen recently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with Family Safety started to happen recently: Our family uses that service for a long time, but few days ago there some issues started to bother us - adults are unable to give time on mobile app iOS, macOS app and Windows 10, only web site allows us to approve requests.Tried to re-login, reinstall app and so on.No issues...
  3. Problems with Family Safety started to happen recently

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with Family Safety started to happen recently: Our family uses that service for a long time, but few days ago there some issues started to bother us - adults are unable to give time on mobile app iOS, macOS app and Windows 10, only web site allows us to approve requests.Tried to re-login, reinstall app and so on.No issues...
  4. Problems with Family Safety started to happen recently

in User Accounts and Family Safety
  5. w10 activation problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    w10 activation problem: I cant activate my window it always telling me this and i already remove kms pico that installed in my pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w10-activation-problem/4288692b-4159-4ea6-a5ac-d3ce87132b2e
  6. Family activity report shows excess hours

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Family activity report shows excess hours: Windows 10. All up to date. I have 3 children who I have set up screen time limits for - 30minutes on weekdays and 1 hour on weekends. However in the weekly reports they have been on for 2, 3 or even more hours per day. Some days it works and they receive 15 minute, 2...
  7. Windows 10pro with a W10 family key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10pro with a W10 family key: Ok, so my pc has been telling me for a couple month that I have to activate Windows but in my parameters I can see that everything is ok apart for the fact that when I click on the repair button, I see a notification that I have a product key for W10 family but W10...
  8. Recent W10 Upgrade and Ethernet Problems.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recent W10 Upgrade and Ethernet Problems.: With the recent 10/10 upgrade began having problems with connecting to the Internet and Edge would not find any sites. got onto Windows help who acknowledged some issues. They advised adding a setting to my Ethernet properties which I did. This then dropped out each time I...
  9. task view is not showing my recent activity

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    task view is not showing my recent activity: Hello,I have a problem with the task view not showing recent activity.The problem began after an update came a week ago and even today there is an update which also did not solve my problem and after shutting down and beginning my normal work then comes a notification to...
  10. W10 Activation problem

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    W10 Activation problem: I am going nuts. I have an Alienware M17x previously running W7 Home. I upgraded to W10 Home last week (V1511). It went well and W10 was shown as activated with a digital entitlement. Great. However, now after a week or so, in the middle of using my machine normally I...