Windows 10: Problems with Windows NT character display

Discus and support Problems with Windows NT character display in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am using Windows 10 1909 x64, display language English United States, and of course, default font Segoe UI. There has been a problem that has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Aireyanna Havaska, May 14, 2020.

1. Problems with Windows NT character display

I am using Windows 10 1909 x64, display language English United States, and of course, default font Segoe UI. There has been a problem that has troubled me for a very long time, and this one problem's cause is rooted in the design of Windows NT.

The problem is very very simple, that is, some texts with different character set encoding from the system default's, they show up as garbled codes, and completely unintelligible! I don't know if I conveyed my meanings right, so here are some screenshots that help explain what I mean.

Problems with Windows NT character display d6ba2f5b-04ad-4ac3-90ca-dfd364acd10d?upload=true.png

Problems with Windows NT character display 0cbee4fa-99c1-45eb-9c2f-af2fa7fa19e3?upload=true.png

Problems with Windows NT character display a568f3eb-ca48-4020-91ad-2c0ecd8c5af4?upload=true.png

As you see the first is a screenshot of file explorer, what should be Chinese characters are displayed as god-knows-what, the second is a screenshot of the program-which is in Chinese, again almost all Chinese characters are not displayed correctly, and the third and last is a screenshot of the console of programming language Julia, in the help section, what should be 17 mathematical symbols are displayed as square tofu-like substitute characters. The aforementioned problems do not limit to Chinese.

Way off the topic I would like to say I really dislike this Segoe UI font, which is sans-serif, so it has so many issues in itself, for one thing the upper-case I and lower-case l look exactly the same: Il, they are homoglyphs, and there is not any distinction between I and l in sans-serif fonts, which causes too much confusing. Of course in normal conditions, in a context, one can never confuse these two characters, such as in Intelligence, however there is a famous song Ievan Polkka, which is Finnish, and many people mistakenly believe the first character is an el instead of an i, resulting it often misnamed as Levan Polkka, and in programming there isn't much context to guess what the characters really are. And, nowadays almost everything is in Unicode, UTF-8, the character set which essentially contains everything, however Segoe UI is an ASCII font?, it has only so many characters.

Obviously the first two problems are caused by character mapping correspondence failure, the characters exclusive to UTF-8, beyond the code point limit of ASCII or ANSI, I am not sure what Windows NT uses as default character set, nothing I can find online can elaborate me on that, only UTF-8 has the right characters at these code point entries, and ASCII has way fewer entries, the UTF-8 exclusive characters got mistakenly decoded in ASCII, which doesn't have them, so the computer divides the entry point by the limit of ASCII entries and displays the ASCII characters mapped to the remainder, which is not the right one. It is so easy to figure out why for me, but the difficult one is, how? How to solve this problem?

I have already installed Chinese Simplified language pack and fonts, but Windows is not using the right font and charset while displaying these Characters, instead uses the horrible Segoe UI as default font, uses it to display what it doesn't support. Obviously, the simplest way to solve the first two problems would be to switch the display language to Chinese, but I really don't like my system display Chinese by default, almost all my installed programsmore than 500 with exceptions less than ten are in English. Besides, evenly if I make my system display Chinese by default, many English programs would display scrambled text thus making them unusable, for example Raw Therapee, this is one of the reasons why I switched my system to display English in the first place!

The last problem of cource is because there is the entry point, but the code point doesn't have any drawing mapped to it, the font doesn't include the character, so it displayes tofu character instead.

I have installed texlive in the hopes of solving this problem, it took good long hours, longer than installing Windows 10 itself, only to find it's unrelated to the problem.

How do I change default font of console programs? How do I change Windows 10 default character encoding/character set to utf-8?

Is there any reistry editing can do this? Please, I am rather good at regedit.

:)

Aireyanna Havaska, May 14, 2020
  2. damtachoa Win User

4870x2 won't display at 1680x1050 at all!

OK. Now I know what ur problem is. Step by step:
    1. Go to Catalyst Control Center
    2. Click on the word "Graphic" right on top left corner. It will display drop down menu
    3. Click on Display monitor and will see the list of monitor at near bottom
    4. Right Click the monitor and select "Configure". It will show up the window
    5. There will be 3 option to select. Select the middle one and then click on the tab which show the bar with 15%.
    6. Drag the bar to max, and the screen will stretch to the native resolution 1680x1050.
    7. Also click the tab with showing RGB drop down list and select the last one (it will change to image quality for pc).
    That's it. Good Luck.

damtachoa, May 14, 2020
  3. "Chinese Characters" program delaying shutdown - a different approach.

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

• As you have mentioned this happens only in the Admin account, is it local account set as admin account or the Microsoft account?
    I would suggest you to check the all apps list and check if that Chinese character app is present.

After you try the above steps and share us the results what happens we can proceed with the further suggestions.

Please post us back with the results after troubleshooting the above steps and check.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, May 14, 2020
  4. 95Viper Win User

Problems with Windows NT character display

Driver and/or display problem (AMD)

Try this:

• Right click on a blank area of your desktop and select "Display Properties"
    • Select "Advanced Display Settings"
    • Select "Display Adapter Properties"
    • Click on "List all Modes"
    • Select the preferred display mode. Something with at least 60Hz.
    • Then select your setting you want
    • See if the option came back

95Viper, May 14, 2020
Thema:

Problems with Windows NT character display

1. Problems with Windows NT character display - Similar Threads - Problems character display

2. mixed character display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mixed character display: When @ key is depressed, " is displayed when " key is pressed, @ is displayed. This happens with several keyboards tested.How do I rectify this?Bob https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mixed-character-display/15a74d2c-77dc-4421-8d3d-be46b5b5079d
  3. mixed character display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mixed character display: When @ key is depressed, " is displayed when " key is pressed, @ is displayed. This happens with several keyboards tested.How do I rectify this?Bob https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mixed-character-display/15a74d2c-77dc-4421-8d3d-be46b5b5079d
  4. mixed character display

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Problem with NT Kernel & System

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with NT Kernel & System: Hello! I recently downloaded the application voxal voice changer, thinking that it would be very useful, but it turned out not to be, I deleted it, and my laptop started working slower, in the task manager I saw that the system was loading the system process, Googling for a...
  6. Problem with NT Kernel & System

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with NT Kernel & System: Hello! I recently downloaded the application voxal voice changer, thinking that it would be very useful, but it turned out not to be, I deleted it, and my laptop started working slower, in the task manager I saw that the system was loading the system process, Googling for a...
  7. Problem with NT Kernel & System

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Japanese characters display problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Japanese characters display problem: My keyboard failed to display correct Japanese characters i.e. hiragana & katakana. The characters of that correspond to English "a, i, u, e, o" now become. I tried reboot the machine and reinstall the Japanese IME pack a few times, but the problem persists. Would you...
  9. Wrong characters displaying on forums

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Wrong characters displaying on forums: Hi all, I am a member of a forum and someone is asking about errors they are seeing in some posts to the forum. The example that the person gave is: "So for example, typing Don't it comes as Don #&37 t." Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening? It hasn't...
  10. Chinese characters not displaying correctly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Chinese characters not displaying correctly: We just got a new computer with a fresh Windows 10 installed. When trying to install games from Chinese suppliers, we get the following image: [ATTACH] At first I thought it was a unicode issue but that doesn't seem to be it. Most searches bring me to this link:...