Windows 10: Processes not closing after quiting programs

Discus and support Processes not closing after quiting programs in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Windows Version number: 1903 (OS build 18362.449) Greetings Ladies & Gentlemen, Recently I've noticed that the processes of programs I run are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by templar, Nov 2, 2019.

1. templar Win User

Processes not closing after quiting programs

Windows Version number: 1903 (OS build 18362.449)

Greetings Ladies & Gentlemen,

Recently I've noticed that the processes of programs I run are not terminated after quitting them. I first discovered this when I was using the Uplay client. It got stuck during initialisation, so I closed the program and went to re-run it, but it didn't open, so I went in to task manager and tried to end the task but it would not close. I had to restart my PC to get it to close. I didn't think too much of it until today when I went to install Firefox. It installed and worked fine when I ran the program, but later when I went to open the browser it wouldn't open and was told by a Firefox prompt that the existing process would have to be closed before it could open, so I clicked close and then the same warning popped up. I went into task manager to end the process and it would not do it, so I uninstalled the program and for some strange reason the process was STILL running even after uninstallation. I had to restart my PC. Installed Chrome, same thing happens, it runs initially but if I close and try to re-open it will not launch. Sure enough there is the Chrome process running that will not close. I right-clicked the process -> go to details-> end process tree and was told the operation could not be completed, access is denied.

What the hell is going on? Anyone ever have this? Answers appreciated.

:)

templar, Nov 2, 2019
  2. GNJha Win User

Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, Nov 2, 2019
  3. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Nov 2, 2019
  4. Processes not closing after quiting programs

skype doesn't closing even after clicking "Quit skype"

Hi Ashok,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are unable to close Skype app on your computer, we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to uninstall and re-install the latest version of Skype on your device and check.

Method 1: Remove the earlier versions of the Skype and then install the latest version.

Step 1: Uninstall Skype from the Start Screen:

• On the Start screen, type

• From the list select Skype and right click on it.

• You will get different options on the screen .Select
      Uninstall.
    Step 2: You can also uninstall a program from the Control Panel:

• Press Windows + x key to open a task list from the bottom left corner of the screen.

• Select Control Panel. Click on
      Programs

• Select Programs and Features.

• Double click on Skype and follow the onscreen instructions.

Refer the below link to download the Skype app for the devices:

Download Skype | Free calls | Chat app

Hope this information is helpful. Kindly update with the status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you better.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 2, 2019
Thema:

Processes not closing after quiting programs

1. Processes not closing after quiting programs - Similar Threads - Processes closing quiting

2. How to prevent windows from closing the unresponsive program/process?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent windows from closing the unresponsive program/process?: Pretty much like the title said. Let's say in my case i'm running a game where at some point the game loads bunch of mods, map, assets, etc. And during the time game became unresponsive momentarily about a few seconds then proceed back to normal. Now the problem is during...
  3. How to prevent windows from closing the unresponsive program/process?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent windows from closing the unresponsive program/process?: Pretty much like the title said. Let's say in my case i'm running a game where at some point the game loads bunch of mods, map, assets, etc. And during the time game became unresponsive momentarily about a few seconds then proceed back to normal. Now the problem is during...
  4. Applications not closing after quiting them

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Applications not closing after quiting them: Hey, so I noticed that when I for example play game or am on discord. I quit the discord app or game but when I look in the Task Manager the app is still running and it doesn't close at all.I tried sfc/scannow but windows didn't find any problems.Any help?Windows 10 Home Ver....
  5. Applications not closing after quiting them

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Applications not closing after quiting them: Hey, so I noticed that when I for example play game or am on discord. I quit the discord app or game but when I look in the Task Manager the app is still running and it doesn't close at all.I tried sfc/scannow but windows didn't find any problems.Any help?Windows 10 Home Ver....
  6. Applications not closing after quiting them

7. How to quit/close a program using Task Scheduler ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to quit/close a program using Task Scheduler ?: I would like to have Task scheduler close a program after computer has been idle for a set amount of time. Is there a way to do that ? I previously posted a question about my computer not waking from sleep and I could not find a solution. I think I've worked out that it's...
  8. Windows closed program after it started.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows closed program after it started.: So I don't know what to do. Hadn't that problem with windows 7. I start a specific program. It launches then it closes. I don't know what to do. I'm thinking it's defenders fault. Is there a option to disable defender completely. Also is there a way to know what's the reason...
  9. Close process when a separate process closes

Close process when a separate process closes: So I use task scheduler to run a specific file (c:\Newfile.exe) when a specific program is being started (c:\Program.exe). I'd like to know how I can close "Newfile.exe" when "Program.exe" closes. I know this can't be done with task scheduler, does anyone know of a way to...
  10. Closing programs

Closing programs: Having Window 10 is cool but I need to know why I can't close Yahoo Messenger and Skype. "Quit Skype" is in a black area on Skype and "Sign Out" in Yahoo messenger is the same. I cannot close these 2 programs, they are not Apps, when I am ready to shut down the computer. Does...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. task scheduler excel not closing after completed