Windows 10: Processes Remain in Suspended State - Only Close from Task Manager

Discus and support Processes Remain in Suspended State - Only Close from Task Manager in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; On Windows 10 whenever I close an application, it doesn't actually close but remains in a suspended state. I have to go into Task Manager to close the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by jamiechristian11, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Processes Remain in Suspended State - Only Close from Task Manager

On Windows 10 whenever I close an application, it doesn't actually close but remains in a suspended state. I have to go into Task Manager to close the processes. For example, every evening after work I close everything on my PC. Then in the morning before I log in to my VPN, I have to open task manager and close all my Chrome and VPN processes before opening them up again. Even though there is nothing "open" on my PC when I log in, I can have 20 Chrome processes show up in Task Manager. This is problematic for services that won't allow multiple instances to run, like my VPN. How can I fix this problem? I want my apps to actually close when I close them!

I have seen a few other threads on this but have not come across an answer yet.

:)

jamiechristian11, Aug 20, 2020
  2. jgt1942 Win User

Task manager showing suspended processes for cortana

I see this suspend for other applications as well. How do I get it to run the suspended process? I've got Process Explorer installed, right-click on the process, select resume but nothing seems to happen, e.g. the process remains suspended. Nor am I able to kill the process. I have Windows 1803 installed. It has been over an hour since I noticed the process suspended and it remains in this state.

jgt1942, Aug 20, 2020
  3. f14tomcat Win User

Windows automatically suspends process as part of overall memory management. Regardless of the total mem available. It's normal. They resume when the process is called to do something. That's the real short answer. the system file swapfil.sys hold the swapped out extra mem for those processes and leaves only the "core" of the process in memory. It is a very long explanation. It's normal and ok. Nothing to be concerned with.

f14tomcat, Aug 20, 2020
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Processes Remain in Suspended State - Only Close from Task Manager

That's perfectly normal. Windows will suspend processes to the swapfile.sys and only keep the essential code for the process in memory, when idle for a specific time. It all gets pulled back to the Working Memory for the process when needed. Just Windows memory management. You may have 32-64GB of memory, and it will still do this. I have lots of suspended, also. Note one of them is Search UI>Cortana.

Processes Remain in Suspended State - Only Close from Task Manager [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Aug 20, 2020
Thema:

Processes Remain in Suspended State - Only Close from Task Manager

1. Processes Remain in Suspended State - Only Close from Task Manager - Similar Threads - Processes Remain Suspended

2. Task manager suspending apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task manager suspending apps: Hey,I use a windows 11 and I've noticed that it suspends my minimized apps automatically. I then came to know that it is normal and it is done to save resources. But I have an app that i want to keep alive. How do i stop suspending apps in windows 11 ? I found many tutorials...
  3. Microsoft App Say UWP is suspending this process on Task manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft App Say UWP is suspending this process on Task manager: Every time I try to open up any Microsoft app it closes immediately and on task manager it says the UWP is suspending this process does anyone know how to fix this. I have tried full on hard resetting my computer but nothing has worked....
  4. Suspended apps on task manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    Suspended apps on task manager: Hi I was wondering if there is a way I could unsuspend apps or stop them from being suspended in task manager When I try and open a game I have in file explorer it starts processing it for a bit and then suspends it and closes it but its only using less than 4% of the cpu...
  5. Cortana not working and process suspended in the task manager

in Cortana
    Cortana not working and process suspended in the task manager: Hi, I am having problem while using cortana, whenever I click the icon it starts and when I ask it to do something it always freezes and then closes. When I saw in task manager it shows a green leaf icon and says process is suspended. Please help. I am not able to use...
  6. Settings Suspended in Task Manager

Settings Suspended in Task Manager: In the task manager, several Processes (e.g. Settings and Cortana) are labeled "suspended" and then there's a leaf icon or something next to it. What is this? How do I stop this?...
  7. Task manager showing suspended processes for cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task manager showing suspended processes for cortana: I just did a fresh install and update to 1803 Task manager showing suspended processes for cortana And she’ll experience and background host for cortana What can cause this? 114460
  8. Is it possible to Audit Events of Process Resuming from Suspended state; for Task...

Is it possible to Audit Events of Process Resuming from Suspended state; for Task...: Hello, I wish to create a scheduled task that is triggered by a process resuming from when it is "supsended" (like in the Task Manager status column of the Processes tab). I have created a task that is triggered by process creation by following these steps:...
  9. Backround Processes being suspended in Task Manager

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backround Processes being suspended in Task Manager: Whats going on do I have a virus on my PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/backround-processes-being-suspended-in-task/6e607239-7565-44c0-919f-0fea06dcdf05"
  10. Task Manager Startups Suspended

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Manager Startups Suspended: All non-MS apps show "Suspended" in "Task Manager", "Startup" Getting set for a class and want to show how to Disable Apps from starting. Have this on both laptop and Desktop. Both Insider Preview17093. Laptop Home, Desktop Pro msconfig, Startup, refers back to Task...