Windows 10: Product code duplicating

Discus and support Product code duplicating in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have several Windows 7 computers which I am upgrading to Windows 10. I have Windows 10 on disc. I use Speccy to look at the Serial Number/Product... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Jambe, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Jambe Win User

Product code duplicating

I have several Windows 7 computers which I am upgrading to Windows 10. I have Windows 10 on disc.

I use Speccy to look at the Serial Number/Product Code. It doesn't matter what computer I upgrade, or if it is an Upgrade or a clean install, I end up with the Product Code being the same on all the Windows 10 computers. I am 100% certain that I did not enter the Product Code on any computers except the first one, which happened to be my daughter's computer. It is that Product Code which is showing on all subsequent installs. It doesn't matter if I use my disc or if I download from Microsoft.

Logically, it cannot be an error on Speccy's reporting.

I can't understand how this could be happening. Also, I am concerned that MS could look at my computers and say the computers have to have unique Product Codes. They did, but not now.

Can someone explain what is going on?

:)

Jambe, Jul 24, 2016

2. N97 contact info issue

Let me guess - you're on a carrier specific product code?

This happened with N79/N85 carrier product codes, specifically with Optus, 3 and Vodafone N85s. Only fix at the time was to get Nokia Care Centre to reflash with Generic firmware.

In a nutshell, to confirm that you have no duplicates, does the caller ID work for phonecalls but not for messages?

travla

travla---01, Jul 24, 2016
  3. 5800 XM upgrade to 5800 Navigation Editionv how?

Moderator's Note:

We have edited your post as it contains duplicate message of the same post that you have under the thread/topic "5800 XM upgrade to 5800 Navigation Editions how?". Please refrain from posting duplicate post/message in the discussion
    board.

Cheers!

EnioReH01

saiful_5067, Jul 24, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Product code duplicating

First of all, are you talking about Product Keys? If you upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7/8/8.1 every upgrade gets the same Product Key, the generic product key for that version of Windows. Every Windows 10 Home from an upgrade will get the same generic product key. Every Windows 10 Pro from an upgrade will get the same generic product key, etc.

Your entitlement/license for Windows is based upon the Installation ID and the Product Key is only one element of the Installation ID. The Installation ID is a combination of the Hardware ID - which uniquely identifies your computer based on motherboard information, the Product ID - which identifies which version of Windows you have installed, and the Product Key - which identifies the basis for activating Windows (Retail, OEM, Upgrade, Volume License, etc.).

It is the Hardware ID that identifies each unique computer, not the product key - and that makes the Installation ID unique to each computer even thought the version of Windows 10 is the same (Product ID) and the basis for Windows activation is the same (Product Key indicating an upgrade).

If you do a clean install on the same computer after an upgrade - Windows 10 will calculate the same Hardware ID if the motherboard is the same, the Product ID will be the same if you installed the same version of Windows 10, and if you skip entering a Product Key then the same generic product key will automatically be used. This results in the same Installation ID for that computer which is then sent to Microsoft activation servers. Since that Installation ID was previously saved there during first upgrade process, the digital entitlement/license for Windows 10 for that computer will be retrieved and the activation server will send back the code for Windows 10 to activate itself.

This is why your Windows 7/8/8.1 product key is unaffected by the upgrade to Windows 10 - because the Windows 10 activation from an upgrade uses the generic Windows 10 product key - not the Windows 7/8/8.1 product key - to calculate the Installation ID.

NavyLCDR, Jul 25, 2016
Thema:

Product code duplicating

1. Product code duplicating - Similar Threads - Product code duplicating

2. Duplicate product keys

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Duplicate product keys: I just did an inventory of my Windows keys because I am selling an old laptop with a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) and I wanted to include the original Windows CD with it. I realized that two of my desktop PCs that were upgraded from Win 7 Home Premium (each with its own...
  3. Duplicate product keys

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate product keys: I just did an inventory of my Windows keys because I am selling an old laptop with a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) and I wanted to include the original Windows CD with it. I realized that two of my desktop PCs that were upgraded from Win 7 Home Premium (each with its own...
  4. Product Code

Product Code: I purchased a used computer off amazon. According to the product discription it came preloaded MS office 2010. Although the programs are loaded on the machine, it is not activated and asking for a product key. I am still waiting to hear back from the seller, but I was...
  5. Product code

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Product code: I purchased minecraft from the microsoft store and cant find the product key/code https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-code/625a44b3-7549-4c2d-92c7-0e2c6bb2862e
  6. Product Code

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product Code: How do I find my product code for my Windows PC on Windows 10? I need it for the Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-code/2e7da973-4d44-484a-b44a-e2ff87bab135
  7. Product Code

Product Code: We recently bought a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 2-in-1 with Windows 10 already installed. However when trying to activate Windows 10, the directions keeps asking for the Activation Code. Where is the Activation Code located? Angela...
  8. Product code

Product code: Hello, i recently downgraded my laptop to windows 7 but drivers were not available so i redownloaded windows 10 using my homemade windows usb stick i made from my other pc. It asked me for my microsoft account and automatically used my digital licence i have on my other pc....
  9. Product code

in Windows 10 Customization
    Product code: I purchased a HP laptop at Sam's Warehouse 3 days ago. They told me I had basic Word I do not want word office 365. I need the product code for basic word. Thank you Fran...
  10. product code

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    product code: Ive just bought 360 and I dont have a product code to activate powerpoint etc ... where do i find this as it wasnt on the confirmation email https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/product-code/23b8c939-c314-42fe-9d30-dfcdc90d9d8b