Windows 10: Product id code check for MSDN vs normal retail

Discus and support Product id code check for MSDN vs normal retail in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How do I find out if a Win10 license key is normal oem or retail vs an MSDN/Dreamspark key? Is there any way to check from the product id or license... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by benedict, Mar 28, 2016.

1. benedict Win User

Product id code check for MSDN vs normal retail

How do I find out if a Win10 license key is normal oem or retail vs an MSDN/Dreamspark key?
    Is there any way to check from the product id or license key or the slmgr command?

:)

benedict, Mar 28, 2016

2. Retail copy or msdn

Sir tell me some thing about retail vs msdn

Md Hassan Halder, Mar 28, 2016
  3. Information about MSDN Product Key

I need to know about MSDN code. I bought an MSDN Key for Windows 10 Pro, what will be differences if I had bought Retail License?

Will I have the license if I need to Re-Install Windows when I had activated the Windows using MSDN Product Key??

Suyash Gupta, Mar 28, 2016
  4. Fafhrd Win User

You mention slmgr - from the elevated command prompt, slmgr /dlv gives you the license information: RETAIL CHANNEL, or OEM SLP etc
    Superfly's Showkey will also reveal some interesting information about your key(s):

Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

I may well be wrong, but MSDN keys are retail, aren't they, and Dreamspark educational? There's a discussion here:

Solved - Windows 10 Forums

Fafhrd, Mar 28, 2016
  5. benedict Win User
    My pc was clean installed with win10 after upgrading to Win10 earlier from Win7 OEM.
    slmgr /dlv (elevated prompt) only shows Product Key Channel: Retail
    So I can't tell if its an OEM vs retail version which allows installing Win10 clean on a new build with a new motherboard.

Yes, thats the problem. I want to find out whether activation keys that I was offered to buy is from MSDN/Dreamspark instead of normal retail.

benedict, Mar 28, 2016
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    If you run showkey, it will check user input key characters to show what type they are, as well as the current key and earlier keys, and indicators of Windows 7 SLIC markers in the BIOS and embedded windows 8 keys if relevant - that's why I gave the link. The check backup will retrieve the information from Windows old\windows\system32\config\SOFTWARE - the registry hive on the version upgraded from, if you still have windows.old, or a backup image stored elsewhere that you can mount and view.

checking part of the product key string on google is also a good indicator of whether the key may be blocked - if you find it, it's blocked, or will be.

Thirdly, if the price is too good to be true, well, don't touch it, unless you can trust the source.

As a footnote - all Windows 10 upgrade keys from previous OEM upgrades state they are retail, as the Windows 10 key is not now the major feature in validating the OS - the first activation and the device hardware determine the digital entitlement, and on transfer, if you have a 7 or 8x retail key as your qualifying purchase, that will serve to activate 10, even if you need to call Microsoft activation for the privilege.

Fafhrd, Mar 28, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    One thing to keep in mind, though, is that Microsoft only offered to upgrade DEVICES running Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 for free until end of July this year. After July, I would not expect to be able to activate Windows 10 with a Windows 7/8/8.1 product key on a new device that has not had Windows 10 on it before for free even though the person may be moving their retail Windows license from an old computer to a new one.

NavyLCDR, Mar 28, 2016
  8. Fafhrd Win User

That's absolutely true, but I guess if you have bought a (fully transferable) retail 7 or 8 key and received a digital entitlement upgrade on one machine, then it is arguable that the retail transferability should follow the upgrade trail, in the same way that the non-transferability of OEM 7 and 8 upgrades that will expire with the device. No doubt there will be test cases, and a clear ruling on transferability of licenses to devices in due course.

The relevant part of the Windows 10 EULA is part 4b.

Reading that, an upgrade of a retail (stand alone) earlier version of Windows is equivalent to a retail (stand alone) version of Windows 10 acquired from Microsoft or their official retail channels. If the latter is transferable, then surely the former is. No special terms for the Free offer nature of the upgrade are mentioned.

I recall that Tenforums member @simrick posted a transcript of a long online discussion of this very point with a Microsoft advisor. The punch line was:

Forced Download $Windows.~BT folder appeared - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

...and the following posts to the end of the thread seem to confirm the conclusion.

What do you think?

Fafhrd, Mar 28, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Presently, when pushed to do so by customers, Microsoft has honored the retail-to-retail upgrade EULA by providing retail Windows 10 product keys. However, Microsoft has responded to inquiries by stating that this is a free promotional offer, they are only required to fulfill the conditions of that offer - which is to upgrade DEVICES currently running Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 for free - which is more limited in scope than upgrading the Windows 7/8/8.1 LICENSE to Windows 10.

The terms and conditions of the upgrade offer are in the fine print at the bottom of this page:
    How to Upgrade to Windows 10 - Microsoft

I suspect that when pressured to do so Microsoft will continue to provide retail Windows 10 product keys upon presentation of evidence that the customer had a Windows 7/8/8.1 Retail license because it is just cheaper for them to do so then defend a lawsuit.

NavyLCDR, Mar 28, 2016
  10. As far as I've always thought, there are no versions of retail. The keys are either OEM or retail, meaning all retail keys are subject to the same rules.

DeaconFrost, Mar 30, 2016
  11. Superfly Win User
    Windows 7 MSDN (retail) keys are grouped and can be identified by it's PID but my Win 8 MSDN/Dreamspark keys do not have that grouping - instead they seems to follow a general retail pattern. I need to analyse them a bit more as it's was a good indicator why Win 7 installations got deactivated (i.e. MSDN keys that got sold to many and subsequently blocked due to overuse)

BTW: The possibility of transferability post 31 July will be interesting, I agree.

Superfly, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Product id code check for MSDN vs normal retail - Similar Threads - Product code check

2. Cpu utilization vs normalization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cpu utilization vs normalization: what is cpu utilization and cpu normalization. How do calculate both ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-utilization-vs-normalization/61792b83-fa34-4aa4-b0b0-4c18f2a0a2c5
  3. [MSDN] Windows XP Professional SP2 Retail x86 ISO. I Need The SHA1 MD5 Check sums for Files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [MSDN] Windows XP Professional SP2 Retail x86 ISO. I Need The SHA1 MD5 Check sums for Files.: Hi Microsoft. Thank You So Much for Creating and Programming Windows XP. I have an Important Question. How do i get a hold of The Official Information of SHA1 Check sums for[MSDN] Windows XP Professional SP1 Retail & VL x86 - September 9th 2002 Original - tiny.cc/4scuuz[MSDN]...
  4. Is MSDN product key illegal?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is MSDN product key illegal?: Hello,Is MSDN product key which came with a workstation illegal? There are many workstations at office that came with Windows product key and it works normal. I have been told that you can't use it in a production environment at office, you need to buy a new product key for...
  5. Windows 10 OEM vs MSDN key

Windows 10 OEM vs MSDN key: Hi, Recently I found a lot of ad selling Windows 10 for under $10 telling that it is OEM key. I'm curious if that is truly OEM key or it is MSDN key. Is there any way to check the type of license? and I heard that "slmgr/dli" can check license type but cannot check MSDN...
  6. retail product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    retail product key: i like to if the product key sold by Bestbuy store is legit or a scam https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/retail-product-key/6bb8c0dc-a139-4344-a068-8d521fe0fd04
  7. Retail oem products

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Retail oem products: So impressed i was with the price and reviews for an ASUS vivobook notebook laptop i bought one for my son going into 6th form at school and i went back to ARGOS in Sainsburys and bought another one for myself . Problems arose when files started to disappear and then whole...
  8. Retail vs Retail FPP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Retail vs Retail FPP: Hi there. I just came across a webshop that sells license keys. I bought 4 X Windows 10 Pro Retail keys. When done, I read that the shop says the key can only be activated one time and on one device only. To me that defeats the purpose of retail. Just to test I activated one...
  9. OEM VS retail

OEM VS retail: 1- what the good key for laptop DELL OEM VS Retail key ? And what is the difference between them ? 2 - Which of these two sites better buy genuine Windows version at an acceptable price and there are other sites better than them : A-...
  10. check legality of the retail product key of Win10 Pro

check legality of the retail product key of Win10 Pro: Please I need to check legality of the retail product key of Win10 Pro [removed] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/check-legality-of-the-retail-product-key-of-win10/00bbe6b3-de1e-4f42-9f9d-fc2d59be5d40"