Windows 10: Product Key and virtual machine

Discus and support Product Key and virtual machine in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 on VirtualBox on my Mac. When installing I entered the Product Key that I got when I purchased Windows 10. Now I am planning to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by rohithvsm, Jan 28, 2016.

1. rohithvsm Win User

Product Key and virtual machine

I installed Windows 10 on VirtualBox on my Mac. When installing I entered the Product Key that I got when I purchased Windows 10. Now I am planning to use the same key elsewhere. Should I do something before I delete the virtual Windows 10 from VirtualBox? Thank you.

:)

rohithvsm, Jan 28, 2016

2. Windows 10 activated with corrupt virtual machine

I installed a newly purchased retail version of Windows 10 Home (downloaded from MS) into an Oracle VirtualBox virtual machine and activated it. I did this about three days ago but the host laptop ran out of space and the virtual machine is now completely
    corrupted and does not start.

When I create another virtual machine and install Windows 10 in it, it says that my product key has already been activated in another instance and cannot be used. As stated above, I am unable to run the first virtual machine in order to deactivate the product
    key. How can I deactivate the product key so that I can use Windows 10?

Thanks.

Kurt

Kurt Syman, Jan 28, 2016
  3. Upgraded virtual machine

Hi there

I found that this is not working. I installed my win 7 on a virtual machine and upgraded it to 10. I intended to extract the product key from the virtual machine to use for a clean install of my Dell. Win 10 did not activate with the extracted key and it
    seemed that the product key was an generic key that every Virtual machine user was getting when they tried to extract the key.

I solved the upgrade problem with my Dell (connect main disk to SATA controller instead of RAID controller) and after the upgrade, my win 10 was activated

Thanks,

Jacob

Jacobdeboer, Jan 28, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Nothing that will really help. You can remove the product key from the local machine but that won't change anything already stored on Microsoft activation servers.

NavyLCDR, Jan 28, 2016
  5. rohithvsm Win User
    Thank you. How can I remove the product key from the local machine? Please note that it is installed on a VirtualBox as a VM. And does that help me to reuse it elsewhere?

rohithvsm, Jan 28, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    If it is a retail key, you can reuse it. But you will have to call Microsoft.

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    It won't help you reuse it because it won't change what Microsoft has stored on their servers. I do not know if Microsoft changed their policy on reusing Windows 10 retail product keys but up through Windows 8.1 Microsoft allows a certain number of automatic internet activations of the same key and then it gets blocked from automatic internet activation and you have to use phone activation and tell the computer you have it installed on only one computer.

From an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt type:

slmgr /cpky <enter>
    slmgr /upk <enter>

The /cpky clears the product key from the registry and /upk uninstalls the product key (which deactivates the Windows installation).

NavyLCDR, Jan 28, 2016
  8. rohithvsm Win User

Thank you very much.

rohithvsm, Jan 28, 2016
  9. rohithvsm Win User
    Thank you. I will probably call them.

rohithvsm, Jan 28, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Please come back and tell us what they say.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Product Key and virtual machine - Similar Threads - Product Key virtual

2. Windows 11 Product Key Surface Laptop for Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Product Key Surface Laptop for Virtual Machine: I have a Surface Laptop 4 with Windows 11 Home. I would like to create a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox. I need my Windows 11 Product Key. Where can I find it? Can I use it for VirtualBox, or, do I need to purchase another version of Win-11?...
  3. Windows 11 Product Key Surface Laptop for Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Product Key Surface Laptop for Virtual Machine: I have a Surface Laptop 4 with Windows 11 Home. I would like to create a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox. I need my Windows 11 Product Key. Where can I find it? Can I use it for VirtualBox, or, do I need to purchase another version of Win-11?...
  4. Using my windows product key on a virtual machine INSTEAD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Using my windows product key on a virtual machine INSTEAD: I just got a new Lenovo Carbon X1. It came with a Windows 10 Pro license.I want to install Ubuntu on that laptop instead of windows and then run Windows as a VM.Is it possible to re-use that product key for that VM?...
  5. Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Virtual Machine: So, I'm here to ask if using Windows in a VM virtual Machine Legal? Its cause I am not getting accurate answers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-machine/c2e9e1fa-15e4-4532-9864-d114aa139b86
  6. using product keys on virtual machines

using product keys on virtual machines: If i use a windows 10 product key, how can i remove the key so that i can use it on another device, do i simply delete the virtual machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-product-keys-on-virtual-machines/d720704e-b31b-4507-8732-934e84cf205e
  7. virtual machines

virtual machines: I have windows 10 pro as my main os and i want a copy of the same os so i can play around with the system configurations without harming my main os. How can i do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-machines/8896c12f-46cf-4120-a190-fb287326fdf3
  8. Virtual Machine

Virtual Machine: I recently installed Hyper-V on my Lenovo Windows 10 machine and am trying to set up a Virtual Machine. I saw Andre Da Costa's post on Groovypost.com in regards to this. His post was dated January 11, 2019. I have not been able to access the BIOS setup screen, as pictured...
  9. virtual machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    virtual machine: I want to build an oracle VM. I have a new PC with UEFI I am not used to. It is set to the old BIOS and secure boot is disabled. I found virtualization by searching and chose to change virtualization from disabled toe enabled. Is this what I should have done to use Oracle's...
  10. 2 Machines on same Product Key

2 Machines on same Product Key: Hi there, I have a very... interesting problem. I bought an old Dell desktop computer a little while ago to run as a second machine for long calculations and other such things. I updated the OS to windows 10 (pro) from windows 7 (pro). It was working fine, and then I decided...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. product key for virtual machine