Windows 10: Product key association disable on old pc

Discus and support Product key association disable on old pc in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hey, I sold my old pc to a friend. He installed some missing parts (HDD, GPU and RAM). Then we installed Windows 10 Home 64-bit version from USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by FinZak, Nov 19, 2016.

1. FinZak Win User

Product key association disable on old pc

Hey,

I sold my old pc to a friend. He installed some missing parts (HDD, GPU and RAM). Then we installed Windows 10 Home 64-bit version from USB stick. I was surprised to see that windows was automatically activated after that. I did some digging and found out that it is using my product key, which i use now in my own new pc. My friend does not have his own product key, the idea was that he just uses the unactivated windows with limited features.

I uninstalled my Windows 10 product key via command prompt in friends computer (as i understand this is only local solution, if he reinstall windows or clicks the active button, it reactivates automatically with my product key) and now it says windows is not activated, but my product key is still shown with Produkey app in his pc. So far windows is still activated my own pc.

My questions:

• Is this all i need to do?
    • How do i get rid of product key showing still with product key showing apps on my friend's computer?
    • Is there a way to get rid of association of my product key on that old pc that i sold to friend?

EDIT: I originally installed windows 10 via upgrade option from Windows 7, if that matters.

:)

FinZak, Nov 19, 2016

2. Old Product Key

If you're using a key you "found online", you are violating the Microsoft License Agreement and your copy is illegal.

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook], Nov 19, 2016
  3. rob50ehn Win User
    Old Product Key

Thanks Andre

I think the original key was on the back of the instruction manual, which I'd lost!

In the meantime I had done a search on line and found a key that worked (albeit with some limitations to the programme).

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Rob

rob50ehn, Nov 19, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

It's not "your" product key. It is the generic Windows 10 product key that everyone gets when they upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1.
    Clean Windows 10 Install for Free: This is the Only Way | PCsteps.com

Scroll down to Can I Find the Windows 10 Product Key

And, BTW, using Windows 10 unactivated with the limited features violates the End Users License Agreement:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Uset...10_English.htm

Your friend that has the computer now should just enter the generic Windows 10 Home product key and let it activate from the digital license stored on Microsoft Activation Servers.

This is the Windows 10 Pro Product key from an upgrade (on my computer):

Product key association disable on old pc [​IMG]

this is the Windows 10 Home Product key from an upgrade (also on my computer):

Product key association disable on old pc [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Nov 19, 2016
Thema:

1. Product key association disable on old pc - Similar Threads - Product key association

2. Help With Getting Old Product key from dead PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help With Getting Old Product key from dead PC: My old PC died, and I have a new PC now and need to activate windows.I un-linked my old PC from my account thinking it would transfer the license to my new PC but that didn't work.I don't have the email that has my product key because it was through my school email address...
  3. Help With Getting Old Product key from dead PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help With Getting Old Product key from dead PC: My old PC died, and I have a new PC now and need to activate windows.I un-linked my old PC from my account thinking it would transfer the license to my new PC but that didn't work.I don't have the email that has my product key because it was through my school email address...
  4. Windows 10 old product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 old product key: Hi, i was using windows 10 OEM on laptop and upgraded to Windows 10 proi done upgradation, in the activation window in settings it shows windows 10 pro activated and digital licensed linked to Microsoft account.but when i checked my serial key using powershell "Get-WmiObject...
  5. Old WIndows Product Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Old WIndows Product Key: So, I had a Windows 10 Home. One day I was browsing through the internet and I saw something along the lines of "Free Windows 10 Pro Product Keys". It was 4 years ago, I was young so I clicked on it and changed the product key. When I changed it, it works but it's not...
  6. Question about Windows 10 Product Key on old PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about Windows 10 Product Key on old PC: I just recently built a new computer and used my Windows 10 Product Key from my previous computer when installing Windows 10 on to my new PC. I've already did a factory reset on my previous PC and I plan to sell it. So what happens with my old PC when it's booted up? Will it...
  7. Old Product Key Purchase

Old Product Key Purchase: Hi. I bought a windows 10 product key several years ago. The computer broke down a short time ago, I am trying a new installation on different device, and I don't have my product key. I went into troubleshooting to change/move the device, but it won't not access either 2...
  8. Is it possible to recover a product key from an old PC

Is it possible to recover a product key from an old PC: hi i'm wondering if i can remotely recover an old product key retail version of windows 10 i no longer have access to the harddisk, but i can see the PC in my micorsoft account. is there a way to do this? thanks, Sam...
  9. Find Old Product Key

Find Old Product Key: Hey there, I recently bought my friend's laptop from him, so I finally have a computer to myself after not having one for about two years! I did a factory reset, all was well, it's an older Windows 8 model. ANYWAYS, I bought Windows 10 Pro from the Microsoft Store a few...
  10. Using old product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using old product key: I purchased a long while back original product key for windows 10 pro and used it on my stationary PC which I don't have anymore (only kept the HDD), and I was wondering if there is any chance my key can be transfered onto my new machine (laptop) or do I really have to buy...