Windows 10: Product Key from old laptop

Discus and support Product Key from old laptop in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So it seems my new laptops windows isn't genuine. I thought about buying a new copy of windows but then remembered I have this old laptop with its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by YasserShkeir, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Product Key from old laptop

So it seems my new laptops windows isn't genuine. I thought about buying a new copy of windows but then remembered I have this old laptop with its product key still available (but the laptop is demolished), cant I use the product key of the old laptop to activate windows on my new laptop?

:)

YasserShkeir, Jan 18, 2019

2. Need some help. Old HDD. New laptop.

Yes, that would be a favorable solution if possible. But it requires what I said as a first step. Once he gets booted into the OS, then he can either use it as is or try to recover the product key. I'm not saying he couldn't do what you said, I was replying to another post that suggested simply copy/pasting documents from the old hard drive.

Papahyooie, Jan 18, 2019
  3. FinZak Win User
    Product key association disable on old pc

Hey,

I sold my old pc to a friend. He installed some missing parts (HDD, GPU and RAM). Then we installed Windows 10 Home 64-bit version from USB stick. I was surprised to see that windows was automatically activated after that. I did some digging and found out that it is using my product key, which i use now in my own new pc. My friend does not have his own product key, the idea was that he just uses the unactivated windows with limited features.

I uninstalled my Windows 10 product key via command prompt in friends computer (as i understand this is only local solution, if he reinstall windows or clicks the active button, it reactivates automatically with my product key) and now it says windows is not activated, but my product key is still shown with Produkey app in his pc. So far windows is still activated my own pc.

My questions:

1. Is this all i need to do?
    2. How do i get rid of product key showing still with product key showing apps on my friend's computer?
    3. Is there a way to get rid of association of my product key on that old pc that i sold to friend?

EDIT: I originally installed windows 10 via upgrade option from Windows 7, if that matters.

FinZak, Jan 18, 2019
  4. Product Key from old laptop

product key

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Please follow the below steps to resolve this issue:

Steps:

• Press and hold Windows key + R.
    • Type ‘slui 3’.
    • Enter your old product key and try to change product key
    • Use the new product and check if you are able to activate.
    For more information please follow the link given below, this information is provided by Andre Da Costa.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-activate-and-resolve-common-product-key/33f31475-93b3-4d1c-812f-4b21fbd807a7

Please get back to us if you are still facing this problem.

Hope the information helps to fix the issue, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Jan 18, 2019
Thema:

Product Key from old laptop

1. Product Key from old laptop - Similar Threads - Product Key old

2. Old WIndows Product Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Old WIndows Product Key: So, I had a Windows 10 Home. One day I was browsing through the internet and I saw something along the lines of "Free Windows 10 Pro Product Keys". It was 4 years ago, I was young so I clicked on it and changed the product key. When I changed it, it works but it's not...
  3. Activating Windows 10 from an old product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Windows 10 from an old product key: I recently built a PC and want to activate windows on it. I thought I would use the product key from my old laptop since I had to purchase windows for that to activate it. After deleting it and taking it off the registry, I entered it on my PC to find that I'm getting an...
  4. Old Product Key Purchase

Old Product Key Purchase: Hi. I bought a windows 10 product key several years ago. The computer broke down a short time ago, I am trying a new installation on different device, and I don't have my product key. I went into troubleshooting to change/move the device, but it won't not access either 2...
  5. Activate product key that was used for old laptop that was spolied

Activate product key that was used for old laptop that was spolied: I bought a new laptop to replace my old one that could not start up. How do i activate my office using the same product key on my new laptop?...
  6. Is it possible to recover a product key from an old PC

Is it possible to recover a product key from an old PC: hi i'm wondering if i can remotely recover an old product key retail version of windows 10 i no longer have access to the harddisk, but i can see the PC in my micorsoft account. is there a way to do this? thanks, Sam...
  7. Find Old Product Key

Find Old Product Key: Hey there, I recently bought my friend's laptop from him, so I finally have a computer to myself after not having one for about two years! I did a factory reset, all was well, it's an older Windows 8 model. ANYWAYS, I bought Windows 10 Pro from the Microsoft Store a few...
  8. Using old product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using old product key: I purchased a long while back original product key for windows 10 pro and used it on my stationary PC which I don't have anymore (only kept the HDD), and I was wondering if there is any chance my key can be transfered onto my new machine (laptop) or do I really have to buy...
  9. Transfer Windows 10 Pro product key from old laptop to new laptop

Transfer Windows 10 Pro product key from old laptop to new laptop: Hi, I currently have an old laptop that is running Windows 10 Pro and is activated, I would like to no longer use this laptop and transfer this product key (digital license) to my new refurbished laptop that is also running Windows 10 Pro. I have tried to find my product...
  10. Reuse windows 10 production key from a so-broken-old-laptop?

Reuse windows 10 production key from a so-broken-old-laptop?: I actually accidentally did some irreversible damage to my laptop, which is running on windows 10. Now I get a new one, but I would need to reuse the production key in order to have the new computer running on win10. As the old laptop is so broken that it won't boot, is there...