Windows 10: Product key not accepted (duplicataion)

Discus and support Product key not accepted (duplicataion) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have just restored a saved version of a VM Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7. It had a digital entitlement but the restored machine required... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MacNala, Dec 21, 2015.

1. MacNala Win User

Product key not accepted (duplicataion)

I have just restored a saved version of a VM Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7. It had a digital entitlement but the restored machine required activation. I chose what I thought was the Product Key of the Win 7 machine prior to the upgrade but it was rejected. I now realise that I may have used the wrong key but it raises a question.

How can you tell what Product Key you have used to activate an installation of Win10 which shows as activated?

:)

MacNala, Dec 21, 2015

2. WILL NOT ACCEPT PRODUCT KEY

AFTER INSTALLING WINDOWS MOBIL DEVICE CENTER, IT ASK FOR MICROSOFT OFFICE HOME AND STUDENT 2007 PRODUCT KEY. IT ALSO SAYS I CAN ONLY USE IT 21 TIMES.

WHEN I ENTER THE KEY IT SAYS THE KEY NUMBER IS INVALID.

MY PHONE IS A MOROLOA Q W/WINDOWS MOBILE 6.1..

THANKS

HOWARD PAGE, Dec 21, 2015
  3. WILL NOT ACCEPT PRODUCT KEY

Hello. How did you install WMDC? The WMDC sync software is a free download and doesn't require a product key. Did you install Office Home and Student Version at the same time? Is it a trial version? BTW, this version of Office doesn't come with a Outlook
    2007, which you will need to sync the Q with.

Resourceful, Dec 21, 2015
  4. Word Man Win User

Word Man, Dec 21, 2015
  5. MacNala Win User
    Well I tried to use ShowKey but I could not understand the instructions.
    Every time I tried to Retrieve key from backup it said the file SOFTWARE was in use.
    I may be thick but it should be easier than this.

MacNala, Dec 21, 2015
  6. Superfly Win User
    No, you are not thick... my instructions should be more explicit...

Retrieving keys can only be done from a non-running Windows installation ( a.k.a backup) - the initial screen shows the keys found within the running system.
    If there is a forward arrow it means it found a backup and automates the retrieve function.

Superfly, Dec 21, 2015
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    Hmmm still a little confusing....because of the statement "Retrieving keys can only be done from a non-running Windows installation" Because it does find the only 2 keys ever used on this computer while it is running. The original key that came with this computer, and the upgraded key that I bought. I have many backups, but their is no way showkey could ever read them, because of its format. For my system Showkey works just prefect and displays the keys on my Running system with no problems.
    *Wink

OldMike65, Dec 21, 2015
  8. Superfly Win User

Ok, let's try another way:
    The "Retrieve key from backup" function can only be done pointed at a non-running Windows installation ( a.k.a backup containing Windows files eg. Windows.old or mounted backup image)
    The initial screen shows the keys found within the running system.
    If there is a forward arrow it means it found a backup and automates the retrieve function.

Phew...! I so need a business analyst to do this stuff... LOL

Superfly, Dec 21, 2015
  9. lx07 Win User
    Does it store your 7 key at all if you upgrade though? I can't tell because I've since done a clean install so ShowKey only shows the generic 3V66T key. (I'm activated though digital entitlement).

10. OldMike65 Win User
    I'm sorry Superfly..... *Redface was just making sure other people knew exactly what your GREAT program does. Has just more than one way to find keys. I love Showkey!!! *Smile

OldMike65, Dec 21, 2015
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    Did for me lx07, I did a clean install, and it still found original windows 8.1 home key AND my retail windows 10 pro key. I bought this key...

I could check my other computer, that is running windows 10 pro also, but upgraded from windows 7 ultimate. if you want.

OldMike65, Dec 21, 2015
  12. Superfly Win User
    A clean install will remove all traces of the previous key. It does save the previous key during upgrades though, I guess for rollback purposes.
    Digital entitlement is a Store licence granted, as we know, based on previous activation - the generic key is just to identify the edition.

I'm actually glad that you highlight these things ... Thanx for that *Wink
    - As you say it helps make a better experience for all.

Superfly, Dec 21, 2015
  13. MacNala Win User

Hay I did not mean to start a war.
    I have no doubt the ShowKey works just that I could not interpret correctly the instructions. I now have a much better understanding of it's capabilities.
    Unfortunately the environment I was trying it (VirtualBox) makes it difficult to access a backup unless it is stored somewhere on an external drive.
    I have difficulty because the place I used to use to store my backups is a NAS and is not cooperating with Windows 10. Another problem another forum.
    I will try to arrange a backup which can accessed by ShowKey and see what it finds.
    Tanks for the help.

MacNala, Dec 21, 2015
  14. Superfly Win User
    War? not close LOL...

It's good to hear users thoughts and experiences - as they say, there is no stupid questions, just stupid people that don't ask... *Rolleyes
    It's hard developing in a vacuum, so I appreciate any feedback...also allows me to explain any misconceptions that may arise.
    Sorry for hijacking your thread - let us know how you get along.

Superfly, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Product key not accepted (duplicataion) - Similar Threads - Product key accepted

2. Product Key Not Accepted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product Key Not Accepted: I am hoping to transfer a Windows 10 Pro product key from an old laptop to a new Surface Go currently running in S mode.I have copied the key from the old laptop, removed the product key from it, cleared its registry, and have removed the old laptop from my Microsoft...
  3. Product Key Not Accepted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Product Key Not Accepted: I am hoping to transfer a Windows 10 Pro product key from an old laptop to a new Surface Go currently running in S mode.I have copied the key from the old laptop, removed the product key from it, cleared its registry, and have removed the old laptop from my Microsoft...
  4. Product Key Not Accepted

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Expression 3.0 product key not accepted

Expression 3.0 product key not accepted: I reinstalled Windows 10 on my computer and attempted to reinstall Microsoft Expression Web 3.0. I know this is an old program I purchased it in 2009, but I have minimal need for an HTML editor and it works for me. I had reinstalled the program about eight months ago also on...
  6. windows 10 will not accept product key

windows 10 will not accept product key: I purchased windows 10 for a computer that I had owned. I replaced the computer and reloaded windows 10 into the new computer. Windows 10 will not accept the product key that came with the software...
  7. Activation/ product key not accepted

Activation/ product key not accepted: Hi: I checked out Win 10 PRO using a place holder key but now I am not able to roll it back to my OEM Win 10 HOME version of windows. I tried some steps like updating the registry to HOME from PRO and then mounting and running the ISO for WIN 10 but it doesn't work. It...
  8. Product Key won't be accepted

Product Key won't be accepted: I recently had a crash on my computer from which my Hard Drive could not recover. As a result I lost Windows 10 and all programs on that Hard Drive. I am now trying to fix my computer. I have installed Windows 7 using my old install disk but cannot upgrade back to Windows 10...
  9. Product key never accepted

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Product key never accepted: I am a lecturer at a university, and some years ago, I purchased a Surface with the intention of using it in class. At the time, I was never able to get your corporation to accept the product key, and I tried every so often. Of course, Microsoft help at the time was useless,...
  10. Windows not accepting product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows not accepting product key: Hello, I seem to be having a problem activating windows 10 on my HP laptop. I bought the laptop a few years ago with windows 8.1 and upgraded it to windows 10 as soon as I got it out of the box. Everything seemed to be ok but the last 12 months or so I keep getting a message...