Windows 10: Product key not working. If it was used by someone else can it no longer be used?

Discus and support Product key not working. If it was used by someone else can it no longer be used? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I bought a windows 10 pro installation drive in box, though the box looked sealed it looks like someone may have already been inside. It has the drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by KurtFester, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Product key not working. If it was used by someone else can it no longer be used?

I bought a windows 10 pro installation drive in box, though the box looked sealed it looks like someone may have already been inside. It has the drive inside and the card with the product key but it wont allow me to activate it. If someone has been in the box and used this key am I out of luck on installing this?

:)

KurtFester, Dec 21, 2020
  2. Feather Win User

Free upgrade still working using old keys

Windows 10 free upgrade offer still works. I tested today. First I installed and activated Windows 8.1 (I used an old Windows 8 key that had never been used) and after this I upgrade to Windows 10.

Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

Note that Windows 10 upgrade installation does not accept Windows 7/8.x product key, so you need to select the option I'm reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC (see screenshot below).

Product key not working. If it was used by someone else can it no longer be used? [​IMG]

You can also clean install Windows 10 and activate it directly with your unused Windows 7/8.x product key.

Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

Feather, Dec 21, 2020
  3. Sher Amo Win User
    Product key

Hi Megan,

A product key is used when activating a software.
    To help us determine the appropriate troubleshooting steps that can resolve your concern, we'd like to ask the following questions:

• What product are you trying to activate?
    • Are you looking for the product key to activate your Office application?
    • Which version of Office are you trying to activate? To check this, you can perform the steps posted on this
      link.
    • Are you looking for the product key to activate your Windows?

We look forward to your response.

Sher Amo, Dec 21, 2020
  4. Cliff S Win User

Product key not working. If it was used by someone else can it no longer be used?

Using the current device's product key on my another device.

On old PC:
    Uninstall retail product key:

1. Disable secure boot(if turned on in BIOS)
    2. Boot into Windows
    3. Enter slmgr /upk and wait for this to complete. This will uninstall the current product key from Windows and put it into an unlicensed state.
    4. Enter slmgr /cpky and wait for this to complete. This will remove the product key from the registry if it's still there.
    5. Restart
    6. Wait a little while and then use the retail key on the new machine.
    7. Set up secure boot(recommended)
    Your old machine should go back to home, or you might need to do a clean install, I'm not sure there.

Cliff S, Dec 21, 2020
Thema:

Product key not working. If it was used by someone else can it no longer be used?

1. Product key not working. If it was used by someone else can it no longer be used? - Similar Threads - Product key working

2. Product Key can be re-used?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Product Key can be re-used?: I've recently purchased a Nokia PureBook S14 Laptop. Windows-11 Home came pre-installed in it. After activating the windows, I can see product-key in my system. My question is, if in future, I need to change the laptop or move to a desktop or need to change any hardware of my...
  3. Product Key can be re-used?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product Key can be re-used?: I've recently purchased a Nokia PureBook S14 Laptop. Windows-11 Home came pre-installed in it. After activating the windows, I can see product-key in my system. My question is, if in future, I need to change the laptop or move to a desktop or need to change any hardware of my...
  4. Product key re-use

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Product key re-use: I want to use my current product key which is from a laptop I bought from a store, and move it on to a new custom built pc, will the old laptop stop working because I want to give it to a family member...
  5. someone else is still using this PC

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    someone else is still using this PC: whe I was going to shut down my pc I get this message [ATTACH] then I realized that , this is the user who is logged in my pc, who is this user, and how he logged in [ATTACH]...
  6. I am using a laptop that was already used by someone else and no key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I am using a laptop that was already used by someone else and no key: I am using a laptop that was already used by someone else. I do not have product key or digital licence to activate the windows, what will i do to get the windows 10 activated without the product key or digital license? I need help from your side...
  7. Can you disable the "someone else is using this computer" message?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can you disable the "someone else is using this computer" message?: So recently I got a new computer and every time I click "shutdown" it tells me "someone else might be using this computer" and it's really getting on my nerves!...
  8. Gave away my Office 2016 - can someone else use it?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Gave away my Office 2016 - can someone else use it?: I have been using Office already since the 90'ties. After purchasing 365, I gave away my retail CD of Office 2016 to a friend of mine - I won't be using it anymore. Gave him my license key. While I have been using an Outlook account, he always used Gmail. To use Office...
  9. Someone else is still using this pc

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Someone else is still using this pc: whats happening :- i log in to user 1 , shutdown . i use laptop again i log into user 2. when i try to shut down from user 2 it says some one is using the pc , the user 1 is still signed in even after shutdown it happens all the time then i have to go to user 1 to sign...
  10. Someone else trying to use account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Someone else trying to use account: My wife got a notification that someone else might be using her account and was instructed to reset her account. The phone number that was listed for the text code was a number we never had....