Windows 10: Product Key says it is being used on another device?

Discus and support Product Key says it is being used on another device? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I have had my computer for 4+ years, I recently got a new motherboard and CPU and re-installed windows, but was having issues with my PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Salted Trailmix, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Product Key says it is being used on another device?

Hi, I have had my computer for 4+ years, I recently got a new motherboard and CPU and re-installed windows, but was having issues with my PC bluescreening, and after running tests assumed my motherboard was no good. Just yesterday I got a new one, and obviously, my PC is going crazy bluescreening because I need to re-install windows again for it to work right with the new motherboard, However unlike the first time if I go to settings and click recovery and try to re-install windows again like before, it now doesn't let me because it says my product key is being used on another device. Is this because I already re-installed windows?? How can I fix this issue. I am not stuck without able to re-install again but I need to for hardware changes, Thank you.

:)

Salted Trailmix, Apr 11, 2021
  2. Cliff S Win User

Using the current device's product key on my another device.

On old PC:
    Uninstall retail product key:

1. Disable secure boot(if turned on in BIOS)
    2. Boot into Windows
    3. Enter slmgr /upk and wait for this to complete. This will uninstall the current product key from Windows and put it into an unlicensed state.
    4. Enter slmgr /cpky and wait for this to complete. This will remove the product key from the registry if it's still there.
    5. Restart
    6. Wait a little while and then use the retail key on the new machine.
    7. Set up secure boot(recommended)
    Your old machine should go back to home, or you might need to do a clean install, I'm not sure there.

Cliff S, Apr 11, 2021
  3. RK1997 Win User
    Using the current device's product key on my another device.

Hello,
    I tried this before. On newer PC, activation was unsuccessful.

RK1997, Apr 11, 2021
  4. Superfly Win User

Product Key says it is being used on another device?

Product Key

Keys are not required for the upgrade process. Windows 10 has a built-in generic key which it uses to install - it acquires the underlying Win7/Win8 activation during the upgrade process and assigns your device ID as a valid Windows 10 activated device. Subsequent installs will thus activate using your device ID. You will not require a key - should you be prompted, select "skip". Activation is automatic thereafter.

See step 6 here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

Product Key says it is being used on another device? [​IMG]

Superfly, Apr 11, 2021
Thema:

Product Key says it is being used on another device?

1. Product Key says it is being used on another device? - Similar Threads - Product Key says

2. Windows code says "Product key used on another device"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows code says "Product key used on another device": I tried to activate windows 11 Pro N using 11 Pro I dont know why i selected 11 pro N without knowing the difference when i installed windows on my new pc a few days ago then i was told i couldnt do that so i just did a clean install of windows. In the new install, the dark...
  3. Windows code says "Product key used on another device"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows code says "Product key used on another device": I tried to activate windows 11 Pro N using 11 Pro I dont know why i selected 11 pro N without knowing the difference when i installed windows on my new pc a few days ago then i was told i couldnt do that so i just did a clean install of windows. In the new install, the dark...
  4. Product key being used by different device

Product key being used by different device: I built a new pc about a week ago, installed a fresh version of windows purchased through a retailer, all of the sudden I’m getting the activate windows watermark and once I try to troubleshoot it says I cannot activate because my product key is already being used? I bought...
  5. Product key being used by different device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Product key being used by different device: I built a new pc about a week ago, installed a fresh version of windows purchased through a retailer, all of the sudden I’m getting the activate windows watermark and once I try to troubleshoot it says I cannot activate because my product key is already being used? I bought...
  6. Windows 10 product key says its been used on another devide

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 product key says its been used on another devide: I bought a product key for Windows 10 Home for my new PC and was installing it via a boot usb drive. At some point during the installation process I guess I chose the wrong option because it made me redo everything, including inputting the product key. Now my windows isn't...
  7. Windows 10 product key says its been used on another devide

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 product key says its been used on another devide: I bought a product key for Windows 10 Home for my new PC and was installing it via a boot usb drive. At some point during the installation process I guess I chose the wrong option because it made me redo everything, including inputting the product key. Now my windows isn't...
  8. Windows 10 product key says its been used on another devide

9. This device is being used by another application

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    This device is being used by another application: Hello. It’s me again. I’ve had a very annoying problem where audio stops playing all of a sudden in Windows for no reason. I try to see what the problem is and it says that the device was being used by another application. I tried ro disable exclusive control but it still...
  10. Using the current device's product key on my another device.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Using the current device's product key on my another device.: Hello, My 6 year old PC has Windows 10 PRO (Retail License). It came with Windows 7 Home which also was successfully upgraded to Windows 10 Home (OEM License). Now, I have bought a new PC which came with Windows 10 Home. How do I use my retail PRO product key in my new laptop...