Windows 10: Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10

Discus and support Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; your last line says it all. He's stated earlier tried 2 keys, Belarc + sticker, that option is only applicable to OEM comps. Gigabyte, apart from a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dusty100, Apr 30, 2016.

1. OldMike65 Win User

Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10

Windows 10 will take OEM and Retail keys as long as their legal keys.

OldMike65, Apr 30, 2016
  2. hawkman Win User

from what you posted in the W7 forum it was an upgrade from Vista.
    Built comps only have a system builder/retail key, 1 and 1 only.

post the Mgadiag on the W7 and we can tell for sure

hawkman, Apr 30, 2016
  3. OldMike65 Win User
    Does not need too, as Showkey will show any and all Windows keys and display which type they are OEM or Retail keys.
    Plus .....do not want this user to post His Windows key in a public forum either.....

OldMike65, Apr 30, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

It looks like you are trying to UPGRADE from within an installed version of Windows 7? If your Windows 7 is genuine and activated, AND you have downloaded the correct edition of Windows 10, the upgrade will not ask you for a product key at all. In Windows 7 please open an elevated ("Run as administrator") command prompt and enter:
    slmgr /dlv

Please post the results here. Also run:
    winver

Please post those results here. Then we can tell you what might be going wrong.

NavyLCDR, Apr 30, 2016
  5. hawkman Win User
    Thats why i asked for the Mgadiag, i can tell if its an upgrade from Vista.

Roy

hawkman, Apr 30, 2016
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    Yeah I asked him almost same thing Navy .....only difference I told him was if he was doing a clean install and not an upgrade, then I think he could not by-pass putting in a Windows key....

OldMike65, Apr 30, 2016
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    User does not need to run that Mgadiag at all .....I've upgraded computers that came with vista upgraded to 7, then upgraded to 10 with NO problems...

OldMike65, Apr 30, 2016
  8. dusty100 Win User

Problem in 2011 (seven forum) was subsequently resolved by BIOS update. The C drive installed in 2011 and still in use was a new clean HDD & installed with the current Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
    showkey reports:

Windows 7 Home Premium

Product ID which includes "OEM"

Installed Key: The Correct one - as on my MS label

BUT
    OEM Key: OEM key not present in firmware

dusty100, Apr 30, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    We really need to see the results of the two commands in post #17.

NavyLCDR, Apr 30, 2016
  10. dusty100 Win User
    Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10 [​IMG]

Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10 [​IMG]

dusty100, Apr 30, 2016
  11. hawkman Win User
    As i said earlier thats a sticker key from a genuine OEM comp not a self build.
    If you post that report UNadulterated in the W7 forum, I can check it fully ( = Torchwood).

Roy

hawkman, Apr 30, 2016
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    Anyone can purchase a copy of an OEM version of an OS and install it in a selfbuilt.

BunnyJ, Apr 30, 2016
  13. hawkman Win User

Yep Bunny as long as its Sytem Bulider.

Roy

hawkman, Apr 30, 2016
  14. dusty100 Win User
    Roy
    Sorry, but not really sure of the implications of your comment.

dusty100, Apr 30, 2016
  15. BunnyJ New Member
    I guess that the person/store that built that PC for you also used the same copy of 7 OEM for more than one PC and another one using that key has upgraded so your getting the message because of that. It's a valid key but it has multiple users. I've seen shops that do that. The solution is to get a 7 home key or just get 10 home key.

BunnyJ, Apr 30, 2016
Thema:

1. Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10 - Similar Threads - Product Key accepted

2. unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted.: unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted . when I enter product key some numbers are not accepted by the system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-upgrade-win8-to-win-81-product-key-is/2c8615b2-0905-4537-9a46-ec81a2162dae
  3. unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted.: unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted . when I enter product key some numbers are not accepted by the system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-upgrade-win8-to-win-81-product-key-is/2c8615b2-0905-4537-9a46-ec81a2162dae
  4. Product Key Not Accepted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product Key Not Accepted: I am hoping to transfer a Windows 10 Pro product key from an old laptop to a new Surface Go currently running in S mode.I have copied the key from the old laptop, removed the product key from it, cleared its registry, and have removed the old laptop from my Microsoft...
  5. Product Key Not Accepted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Product Key Not Accepted: I am hoping to transfer a Windows 10 Pro product key from an old laptop to a new Surface Go currently running in S mode.I have copied the key from the old laptop, removed the product key from it, cleared its registry, and have removed the old laptop from my Microsoft...
  6. Win 10 Pro product key not accepted

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Pro product key not accepted: I purchased a new laptop with Win 10 Home digital license. At the same time I purchased a Win 10 Pro update disk. When I try to change product key under Activation, the product key is not accepted. "The product key you entered didn't work"....
  7. Upgraded to Windows 10, not accepting product key to go back to Windows 7.

Upgraded to Windows 10, not accepting product key to go back to Windows 7.: Recently, I upgraded my PC from Windows 7 (pro) to Windows 10, but due to slowness and inconvenience etc., I now want to go back to Windows 7. I can't remember if it was more or less than a month ago, but I foolishly removed the system save to free up space anyway. I have...
  8. Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 not active ..requires product key

Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 not active ..requires product key: GDay Win 10 users, Well I have successfully installed the Win 10 upgrade on 2 computers but failed on the third. I installed Win 10 from my Win 7 update (upgrade not clean install). During the process it asked for my Win 7 product key which I inputted and it was...
  9. Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade

Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade: Having upgraded my laptop and Surface Pro to Win 10, my neighbour asked me to do the same for his laptop running its original OEM applied Win7.1 Home premium. Unlike my 2 machines, when the win10 upgrade gets to the Product Key entry screen, there is no "Skip" option and...
  10. Win 7 to Win 10 without a Win 10 product key?

Win 7 to Win 10 without a Win 10 product key?: Hello All: I just did the free upgrade from Win 7 Home to Win 10 Home. I was quite surprised to see that MS still offered the free upgrade. MY PC is a CTO which came with Win 7 Home, 6 years ago. The upgrade went smoothly with the exception of a few new drivers for some...