Windows 10: Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10

Discus and support Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When he post in the W7 forum i will help him. Torchwood Why can't you help him here? Just because a couple of us don't agree with you are you going... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dusty100, Apr 30, 2016.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10

Why can't you help him here? Just because a couple of us don't agree with you are you going to pick up your toys and leave the sandbox? If we are wrong, then you have a chance to show us our error and we can all learn.

NavyLCDR, May 1, 2016
  2. BunnyJ New Member

Exactly, just solve the problem. That's all that matters.

BunnyJ, May 1, 2016
  3. hawkman Win User
    I asked him to post it hours ago post 15

Roy

hawkman, May 1, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

You do realize that helping him here would be helpful for others that have the same or similar issues here in the 10 forums. I have no idea why he should go to the 7 forums for you to help him out.

BunnyJ, May 1, 2016
  5. hawkman Win User
    i didnt originally, only when others chipped in and said it wasnt required.
    just thought, oh well

Roy

hawkman, May 1, 2016
  6. The MGdiag isn't important to me - just might be handy for Peter to have when he calls MS

The OEM_COA_NSLP (Non System Locked Pre-installation) license is unique in that it's like an OEM_SLP and it's like a Retail license.

I really think MS will have to address this - and they're really good when people call in with legitimate issues. They ask a few questions, then give you the answer in a few minutes.

This is old, but it might still be true.

All Replies

Slartybart, May 1, 2016
  7. flybynite Win User
    If you install Windows 10 onto a clean, reformatted hard drive you will not need a key, ever, period. To activate you will. If you have a Windows 7 LEGITIMATE key, and it does not work, and you have installed the correct version of Windows 10 according to your Windows 7 version, then CALL MICROSOFT, and they will make it work. I had to do that with a friend's computer. Her key was legitimate, and should have worked. Microsoft made it work. It took a bit, and I had to speak with a person, but they made it work.

flybynite, May 1, 2016
  8. OldMike65 Win User

What you were saying originally Roy, was that Peter's Windows 7 was NOT a legal version, not Genuine!!! This is what was completely WRONG of you sir !!! as you were assuming things that you knew nothing about. Now you seem to be changing your tune.

OldMike65, May 1, 2016
  9. dusty100 Win User
    Windows 10 Is Now Running!!

Summary:
    When I originally clicked on the upgrade link from MS, it started the process but asked for the Win 7 product key. (But rejected it)
    I then tried ISO files. This again asked for the Win 7 key & rejected it.
    In post #34 by NavyLCDR, he provided a link. I had not seen this webpage in any previous attempts. From within Win 7, it downloaded and installed 10 without any reference to the 7 key! It was so easy, but why did the original upgrade link from MS ask for the key?

I am very grateful to all who responded, even though it seems to have caused some controversy! Thanks for your help and advice.

Peter

dusty100, May 1, 2016
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    This is GREAT NEWS Peter!!! Glad you got your Windows 7 upgraded successfully to Windows 10 *Party Good Job Peter. *Smile

OldMike65, May 1, 2016
  11. dusty100 Win User
    Thanks once again!

dusty100, May 1, 2016
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    If I were you Peter, I would make a complete image backup and store this in a safe place. Just incase something goes wrong with your Windows 10 at a later date. This will give you insurance and the ability to restore your Windows 10. A good image backup program is Macrium Reflect, lots of us on here use this. Here is the link, and its a Free program also.
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

OldMike65, May 1, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

For some reason it was detecting the wrong version, edition or language of Windows 7 installed.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10 - Similar Threads - Product Key accepted

2. unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted.: unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted . when I enter product key some numbers are not accepted by the system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-upgrade-win8-to-win-81-product-key-is/2c8615b2-0905-4537-9a46-ec81a2162dae
  3. unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted.: unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted . when I enter product key some numbers are not accepted by the system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-upgrade-win8-to-win-81-product-key-is/2c8615b2-0905-4537-9a46-ec81a2162dae
  4. Product Key Not Accepted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product Key Not Accepted: I am hoping to transfer a Windows 10 Pro product key from an old laptop to a new Surface Go currently running in S mode.I have copied the key from the old laptop, removed the product key from it, cleared its registry, and have removed the old laptop from my Microsoft...
  5. Product Key Not Accepted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Product Key Not Accepted: I am hoping to transfer a Windows 10 Pro product key from an old laptop to a new Surface Go currently running in S mode.I have copied the key from the old laptop, removed the product key from it, cleared its registry, and have removed the old laptop from my Microsoft...
  6. Win 10 Pro product key not accepted

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Pro product key not accepted: I purchased a new laptop with Win 10 Home digital license. At the same time I purchased a Win 10 Pro update disk. When I try to change product key under Activation, the product key is not accepted. "The product key you entered didn't work"....
  7. Upgraded to Windows 10, not accepting product key to go back to Windows 7.

Upgraded to Windows 10, not accepting product key to go back to Windows 7.: Recently, I upgraded my PC from Windows 7 (pro) to Windows 10, but due to slowness and inconvenience etc., I now want to go back to Windows 7. I can't remember if it was more or less than a month ago, but I foolishly removed the system save to free up space anyway. I have...
  8. Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 not active ..requires product key

Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 not active ..requires product key: GDay Win 10 users, Well I have successfully installed the Win 10 upgrade on 2 computers but failed on the third. I installed Win 10 from my Win 7 update (upgrade not clean install). During the process it asked for my Win 7 product key which I inputted and it was...
  9. Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade

Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade: Having upgraded my laptop and Surface Pro to Win 10, my neighbour asked me to do the same for his laptop running its original OEM applied Win7.1 Home premium. Unlike my 2 machines, when the win10 upgrade gets to the Product Key entry screen, there is no "Skip" option and...
  10. Win 7 to Win 10 without a Win 10 product key?

Win 7 to Win 10 without a Win 10 product key?: Hello All: I just did the free upgrade from Win 7 Home to Win 10 Home. I was quite surprised to see that MS still offered the free upgrade. MY PC is a CTO which came with Win 7 Home, 6 years ago. The upgrade went smoothly with the exception of a few new drivers for some...