Windows 10: Program a file to start when computer wakes?

Discus and support Program a file to start when computer wakes? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have an old windows media center remote control that still works in windows 10. I like to use it to play music from bed. When I can't sleep and want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by pxfragonard, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Program a file to start when computer wakes?

I have an old windows media center remote control that still works in windows 10. I like to use it to play music from bed. When I can't sleep and want to listen to music, I can wake the computer by remote control and when I do, I'd like a playlist to start VLC and start to play it on waking. Right now I can just remember to open it before bed and put the computer to sleep and it works if I wake up but just for kicks, I'd like to program it to run on waking. I looked at Task Scheduler and it doesn't seem that any of the choices in the trigger dropdown list fit the bill exactly. On an event seems the best choice but waking isn't in the log list and I don't know what Source to use or event ID. Any ideas?

:)

pxfragonard, Feb 1, 2020

2. Program a file to start when computer wakes?

I have an old windows media center remote control that still works in windows 10. I like to use it to play music from bed. When I can't sleep and want to listen to music, I can wake the computer by remote control and when I do, I'd like a playlist to start VLC and start to play it on waking. Right now I can just remember to open it before bed and put the computer to sleep and it works if I wake up but just for kicks, I'd like to program it to run on waking. I looked at Task Scheduler and it doesn't seem that any of the choices in the trigger dropdown list fit the bill exactly. On an event seems the best choice but waking isn't in the log list and I don't know what Source to use or event ID. Any ideas?

pxfragonard, Feb 1, 2020
  3. waking up my computer

Hi Virginia,

For us to properly isolate the issue in waking up your computer, we would like to know the following:

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • Aside from a hard shut down, to make sure that we have not missed on anything, what other troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you check if the wake on keyboard option is enabled. To check this, open
    Device Manager > Keyboards > HID Keyboard Device >
    Power Management, and then disable the Allow this device to wake the computer feature (standard value).

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Feb 1, 2020
  4. John Sarc Win User

Program a file to start when computer wakes?

computer wake-up after sleep

Hi Bill,

There's a possibility that the settings that enables your Space bar to wake your computer up from sleep was reset after updating Windows. If this what had happened, we suggest that you just re-set it up. See the steps below on how to do
    so:

• Press Windows key and type keyboard in.
    • Click on Keyboard option and a pop-up windows should show up.
    • From there, go to > Hardware tab > Properties >
      Change settings > Power management > Allow this device to wake the computer >
      OK/Apply.

Try the if the steps did work and let us know any updates.

John Sarc, Feb 1, 2020
Thema:

Program a file to start when computer wakes?

1. Program a file to start when computer wakes? - Similar Threads - Program file start

2. Sound turns off when computer wakes up or starts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound turns off when computer wakes up or starts: All of a sudden, every time I start up my computer or it wakes up from sleep mode, the sound is turned off. I didn't change any settings. This just started yesterday....
  3. Sound turns off when computer wakes up or starts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound turns off when computer wakes up or starts: All of a sudden, every time I start up my computer or it wakes up from sleep mode, the sound is turned off. I didn't change any settings. This just started yesterday....
  4. Programs starting up when computer is turned on

in Windows 10 Customization
    Programs starting up when computer is turned on: Hello,why are my programs starting up when my PC is turned on? I have already had them disabled in Startup tab and everything was okay, but now after about 5 minutes from computer boot all of the disabled programs start at once....
  5. Programs starting up when computer is turned on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs starting up when computer is turned on: Hello,why are my programs starting up when my PC is turned on? I have already had them disabled in Startup tab and everything was okay, but now after about 5 minutes from computer boot all of the disabled programs start at once....
  6. Programs starting up when computer is turned on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Programs starting up when computer is turned on

8. When my PC wakes from sleep, the last closed program starts

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    When my PC wakes from sleep, the last closed program starts: Hi... I have been experiencing this issue for a few years on my w10 home 64bit install (I have the latest update applicable to the date of this post) Its main use is as a multimedia PC, so it really hasnt been a problem, but its beginning to annoy me. If i let the PC...
  9. Programs that are supposed to run when my computer is started.

Programs that are supposed to run when my computer is started.: When I start my computer, two of my favorite programs no longer start. Why has this happened and how do I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/programs-that-are-supposed-to-run-when-my-computer/72930fac-9d6e-45be-996a-1d4722782670
  10. Frequent BSOD starting/waking computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Frequent BSOD starting/waking computer: Hello, A few months ago my PC started having random BSOD issues when starting and waking from sleep mode but it was only about 1 every few weeks. The issue became more and more frequent however until a couple of weeks ago when it started having BSOD issues almost everytime...