Windows 10: Program Access

Discus and support Program Access in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Season's Greetings, I am trying to think of the best way to protect my backups on an external drive. I know that disconnecting the drive is the best... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gfd, Dec 20, 2019.

1. GFD
    gfd Win User

Program Access

Season's Greetings,

I am trying to think of the best way to protect my backups on an external drive. I know that disconnecting the drive is the best solution, but I'd probably either forget to unplug it or forget to plug it in...getting a bit old and daft.

I have 2 installations on my machine. One regular, which also houses my imaging program (Macrium Reflect). Macrium has a component that prevents any program from tampering with its image files. The other installation is for music and there is no Macrium to protect the files on the external drive.

Anyway, I am considering going into diskpart and making the drive read only, or mountvol to dismount the drive; in the music install. I don't use it much in that install. I read that malware can use these programs to change permissions and mount volumes.

So I noticed there are programs that restrict access to any program on the computer, and which are tamper and password protected. Great! Make the drive read only and restrict access to diskpart.

Of course the concern is that maybe Windows uses diskpart and restricting access breaks Windows. Can anybody give me guidance here?

I am aware of Folder Protection in Windows Defender. But it protects the documents folder (don't think I can turn that off) and there are countless audio programs accessing that folder.

Any help on this will be most appreciated.

Graham

:)

2. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Dec 20, 2019
  3. Unable to access Local Disks (CProgram Access :), (DProgram Access :), and any programs inside those

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are facing issues with privileges to access the local account, I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps.

• Please be informed us the troubleshooting steps you have already tried.

This issue might be due to some error in system settings.

If you have not yet tried the below steps, I suggest you to perform and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to log out from the current user account, restart the computer and log-in with the administrator account and check if you are able to access the local drivers.

If the issue still persists,

Step 2: I suggest you to place the computer in safe mode, try to log-in with administrator account and check if the issue persists.

Try the above steps and reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 20, 2019
  4. Program Access

Cannot Access Programs via Windows Button

I cannot access ANY PROGRAMS other than those that are on the taskbar. And I cannot access SETTINGS.

I tried to follow the steps that you listed but I can't get to even the command prompt!

Help!

A Semi Luddite, Dec 20, 2019
Thema:

Program Access

1. Program Access - Similar Threads - Program Access

2. Is there any way to access a program's command line argument to remove -dx12, like adding -eng

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way to access a program's command line argument to remove -dx12, like adding -eng: DirectX 12 is not supported on your system. Try running without the -dx12 or -d3d12 command line argument.I've been trying to play Frostpunk 2 Beta and it won't happened until I remove -dx12 in the command line argument. Is there anyway to access it and change it?I know there...
  3. Is there any way to access a program's command line argument to remove -dx12, like adding -eng

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way to access a program's command line argument to remove -dx12, like adding -eng: DirectX 12 is not supported on your system. Try running without the -dx12 or -d3d12 command line argument.I've been trying to play Frostpunk 2 Beta and it won't happened until I remove -dx12 in the command line argument. Is there anyway to access it and change it?I know there...
  4. How to have program re-ask for network access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to have program re-ask for network access: I opened a program and it asked me for admin credentials in order to allow it access to public/private/etc networks. I didn't have the credentials at the time so I closed it.Now I have the credentials, but I can't get the prompt to popup, even after reboot, and the program...
  5. How to have program re-ask for network access

How to have program re-ask for network access: I opened a program and it asked me for admin credentials in order to allow it access to public/private/etc networks. I didn't have the credentials at the time so I closed it.Now I have the credentials, but I can't get the prompt to popup, even after reboot, and the program...
  6. How to have program re-ask for network access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. New apps have access to my data. Unkown app or program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New apps have access to my data. Unkown app or program: I had this emailed to me yesterday in the evening that a new app has access to my data. I removed its permissions immediately. I have no clue what this is. I got another email today of the same app having access and its the same string of letters and numbers....
  8. New apps have access to my data. Unkown app or program

New apps have access to my data. Unkown app or program: I had this emailed to me yesterday in the evening that a new app has access to my data. I removed its permissions immediately. I have no clue what this is. I got another email today of the same app having access and its the same string of letters and numbers....
  9. New apps have access to my data. Unkown app or program

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. clicking volume icon doesn't do anything, trying to access volume settings causes program...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    clicking volume icon doesn't do anything, trying to access volume settings causes program...: Not sure what could have happened, but left clicking the icon won't bring up the volume bar, or will take minutes before it happens. Trying to get to the volume access causes the program to stay in the loading position indefinitely. Running windows 10, by the way....