Windows 10: Program Data Folder always revert to Read Only

Discus and support Program Data Folder always revert to Read Only in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I am trying to install auto desk inverter and for a long time it was given me a 1909 installation code. Apparently the fix for that was just making... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RedFox202, Aug 24, 2020.

1. RedFox202 Win User

Program Data Folder always revert to Read Only

So I am trying to install auto desk inverter and for a long time it was given me a 1909 installation code. Apparently the fix for that was just making the folder C:\ProgramData\Autodesk not be READ ONLY. So went to the folder right clicked>Properties> and unclicked the read only square. I then tried to install auto desk again but the 1909 error happened again. I then just made the folder available to Everyone with full control. So I checked and it was read only again. I thought what the heck, repeated the process above again and it would always be Read Only. I then googles the problem and try the following options.

I found this link

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/all-folders-are-marked-read-only/52bf7fdc-e580-41b4-9a4b-f1d000bf096f

and followed its direction to

Go to This PC

right click on C:\ OS drive

select properties

security tab

advanced

at top select change ownership

advanced

find now

select administratorS

OK

check box on top "replace owner on subcontainers and objects

click on APPLY on bottom and OK

close out

restart PC

go back to security tab>advanced and make sure the ADMINISTRATORS in the list have FULL CONTROL

And the folder problem then persisted I did learn that this problem often happens from windows updates

So I looked some more and found this

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-folder-keeps-reverting-to-read-only-on/95a62b0a-425a-4684-9aa1-a3d693417cf9

followed its advice the stuff that I did not try already and did as follows

Follow these steps:
    Press the Windows + X keys and select Symbol of the System Administrator or Windows PowerShell Administrator, in the window that will open, you must type the commands in their respective order:

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    • DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
    • sfc /scannow

Each of these actions may take a few minutes, so it is important to execute one at a time. At the end, you must restart the PC.

The CMD was relatively simple but it still did not fix the problem and it was always read only

I then though if it window I'll just reinstall my OS with the media creation tool. Went through that long process and still had the problem

This whole process has made me so god damn annoyed a problem cause by microsoft updates a million dollar company, With posts from the company that claim to fix the problem BUT DON'T, and even when I reinstall the whole F*** Operating system it still does not work. Forgive me for being so angry but Ive spent the last 6 hour working on this s*** and I'm very dissaponted with nothing to show for it.

Oh and my question if its needed is how to make this folder not always Read Only

:)

RedFox202, Aug 24, 2020
  2. x509 Win User

Folder structure suddenly read-only on DATA drive

Windows is my C: drive. All my data files are on D: the issue I'm having is with folders inside a folder structure that looks like this, on my DATA drive:

D:\Photo\Catalog\Half-Done catalogs

Suddenly some sub-folders inside this folder structure are read-only. I did the normal right-click Properties, and saw that the read-only box was black. So I clicked on that box to clear it, and Windows applied the new permissions to all sub-folders. It worked, but right away some of the sub-folders reverted to read-only.

So inside the Properties windows, I clicked on the security tab, changed ownership to Administrators, checked the box to apply to sub-folders. That worked, again, until some sub-folders reverted to read-only. A windows reboot didn't clear up the problem.

On the Microsoft web site, they advise doing a clean Windows install to deal with this problem. What a crock! *Kill

I may need to hand-fix the offending folders, but I need a way to locate them. Suggestions gratefully accepted.

3. sjackson Win User
    Folder Reverting to Read Only

I have two drives. My C drive and my D drive. I use my D drive as an external hard drive, but it's internal. My C drive is an SSD and my D drive is an HDD. My SSD is too small, so everything large goes on the HDD. Every folder in my HDD is read-only. I right click the folder and go into properties and take it off read-only and apply the changes, when I go back into properties the folder in question is back on read-only. I have googled this problem multiple times. So all of the basic things that I can try, have been tried. I'll list them below.

Both CMD with Admin Privileges
    attrib -r +s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

attrib -r -s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

Example Images: Not my system, the images are examples but I did the aforementioned and still no result.

Program Data Folder always revert to Read Only [​IMG]

CMD with Full Admin Privileges

attrib -r "full path of folder\*" /s /d

Powershell: With full Admin Privileges

Get-ChildItem -Path "full path of file with extension" -Recurse -File | % { $_.IsReadOnly=$False }

If there is anything else that I can try to get these folders off Read-Only. Please give me a detailed set of instructions that even a layman like myself can understand. Thanks in advance!

sjackson, Aug 24, 2020
  4. Program Data Folder always revert to Read Only

Windows 10. Where is program data folder?

Hi Carl,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We are here to assist you.

The program date folder contains application data for all users. The program date folder is hidden folder in Windows by default. As you are unable to find the program date folder, I suggest you to follow the instructions provided below.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Go to the C drive.
    • Click on view.
    • Check on the box Hidden items.
    • If you are still unable to see the program date folder then click on Options next to hidden items.
    • Go to view tab.
    • Under hidden files and folder, select show hidden files, folders and drives.
    • Click on Apply and OK button.
    • Now, again go to C diver the program date folder shall be available.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Aug 24, 2020
Thema:

Program Data Folder always revert to Read Only

1. Program Data Folder always revert to Read Only - Similar Threads - Program Data Folder

2. Folder attributes keep reverting to read only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder attributes keep reverting to read only: The title says it all - I installed an old game, and when I tried to save a game, I found that I couldn't. I checked the folder settings, and they said read only. I tried to uncheck it, but it keeps reverting. The option to only make the change to the folder itself is...
  3. Folder reverts back to read-only

Folder reverts back to read-only: I've tried many methods to try and set my folder to not "read-only". I've attempted to manually change the attribute by running the command prompt as administrator with the command: "attrib -R C:\ATLauncher". I'm not sure if I have written this command correctly, but it did...
  4. Reverting to read only

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Reverting to read only: I've set all permissions to full control. I'm the administrator. Nope, still read only. Yes it's the little black box that means nothing in the properties. Very intuitive design, 10/10. Also the virus and threat protection doesn't even show Ransomware protecc for controlled...
  5. My folders keep reverting to read only

My folders keep reverting to read only: Every time i uncheck read only it just goes back to read only after a few mins this means i cant play any games on steam as it keeps telling me the folder is read only please help...
  6. Folders keep reverting to read-only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Folders keep reverting to read-only: Hi all, Not sure if this is the place to get help, but couldn't think where else to go. As the title says, every time I change a folder's settings to read-write, it reverts to read-only. My account is an admin account and I've changed all my disks to read write with the...
  7. Is the folder "Program Data" which is read-only safe to take off 'read-only'?

Is the folder "Program Data" which is read-only safe to take off 'read-only'?: I recently bought an application which came with a lot of bonus or extra material. I specifically bought this version of the application directly from their website in order to use the bonus or extra material. Problem is, the application does not read the files. I was able to...
  8. Folder Reverting to Read Only

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Reverting to Read Only: I have two drives. My C drive and my D drive. I use my D drive as an external hard drive, but it's internal. My C drive is an SSD and my D drive is an HDD. My SSD is too small, so everything large goes on the HDD. Every folder in my HDD is read-only. I right click the folder...
  9. Music folder keeps reverting to Read-only

Music folder keeps reverting to Read-only: My Music folder and the files within keep reverting to Read-only. I'm the owner (and administrator) of the file so that shouldn't be the issue. When I uncheck Read-only and Apply it nearly finishes but then gives me the message: Error Applying Attributes An error...
  10. folder attribute always reverts back to Read Only

in Windows 10 Support
    folder attribute always reverts back to Read Only: When I have to write to a sub-folder in either Program Files or Program Files (x86) and regardless if I turn off Read-Only attribute for the folder, the folder attribute always reverts back to Read Only toggled on within a Standard Account even though I'm prompt for the Admin...