Windows 10: Program Data folder relocation

Discus and support Program Data folder relocation in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone! I would like to ask if it is possible to change the localisation of folderC:/ProgramData to another drive? if yes,could someone give... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RascalRoger, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Program Data folder relocation

Hello everyone!

I would like to ask if it is possible to change the localisation of folderC:/ProgramData to another drive? if yes,could someone give me instructions please.very please.

Thank you

Best regards

Tomasz

:)

RascalRoger, Apr 10, 2020
  2. de123 Win User

Windows 10 - Relocate the Users folder Part 2 -Creating Account Issue

I decided to leave your suggestion as a last resort (before re-installation). I have my AppData folder ~ 15 GB and also my user profile is placed on the bad sectors of the drive. It took me about 5 mins to login into my desktop with a lot of disk grinding. Anyway, I tried Clonezilla in a "rescue" mode (becasue of unreadable sectors) to clone my drive. I replaced the drive with the clone and It somehow worked quite well. I am able to login and within 2 secs I get usable desktop; even Cortana suddenly came alive again and my menu shows up full. I may still have to fix some minor glitches in my profile or AppData. But everything works well and my user accounts and Program Files (that allow themselves to be installed in any locations) sit happily on the second drive.
    Thank you Kari

de123, Apr 10, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

If not the best way to do that but at least the way I recommend:

• "Empty" your user profile folders as much as you can, copying documents, pics, videos, music and all other personal data from all user profiles to external HDD. As following steps require you to relocate Users folder two times, the less data is left in user profile folders, the faster the relocation process. Important: Leave system folder AppData for each profile intact, do not empty / move its content!
    • Reverse the relocating, doing exactly as told in tutorial Method Two but this time relocating Users folder back to C: drive
    • Shut down the PC, replace the disk where you had Users relocated
    • Mount the new disk, boot to Windows, assign new disk the same drive ID letter than the old one had
    • Again, do as told in Method Two, now relocating Users to new disk
    • Restore the backed up personal user data from external drive to respective folders under each user profile

4. Program Data folder relocation

User Folder Relocation from W7: Will configuration be preserved?

According to the tenforums website, MS does not recommend relocating the Program Data folder. I guess they must enforce this during the W10 upgrade.

RonRosenfeld, Apr 10, 2020
Thema:

Program Data folder relocation

1. Program Data folder relocation - Similar Threads - Program Data folder

2. Relocating Folders in Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Relocating Folders in Explorer: I use Documents quite a bit, and it's been a real pain having to use SHFT+CTRL+E every time I want to expand my Documents folder in Quick Access. I'd like to be able to move or at least copy all those folders Documents, Downloads, Music, and Pictures Into My PC so I can...
  3. Folder relocation/renaming

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder relocation/renaming: Hi Team,My question is regarding the renaming and relocation of Folders in a company Drive: We have a number of folders that are named in Dutch and wish to add an English translation in the name as well as maybe relocating some them to a different folder.Are the above...
  4. Folder relocation/renaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder relocation/renaming: Hi Team,My question is regarding the renaming and relocation of Folders in a company Drive: We have a number of folders that are named in Dutch and wish to add an English translation in the name as well as maybe relocating some them to a different folder.Are the above...
  5. Folder relocation/renaming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Relocation of Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Relocation of Folders: Can I change the location of folders, say Photos, from SSD drive to internal hard drive? From C drive to D drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/relocation-of-folders/60ff9525-9da6-4468-bba8-bdc0ab627629
  7. Relocation of Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Relocation of Folders: Can I change the location of folders, say Photos, from SSD drive to internal hard drive? From C drive to D drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/relocation-of-folders/60ff9525-9da6-4468-bba8-bdc0ab627629
  8. Relocating User data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Relocating User data: So I know we can relocate default user data either during installation or later on. My question is, (and this is for user data only and not other system folders), what happens when you do a reinstall? My setup: C: for windows and software, D: for regular data and games, and...
  9. Relocating Users Folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Relocating Users Folder: Does the Users folder have to be relocated to an empty drive on an existing win 10 installation, or is any local drive ok? 39109
  10. Relocate folder locations

in Windows 10 Support
    Relocate folder locations: I got myself into this mess. Please pleaseee, if anyone could help me solving it I'd be really grateful since it's driving me mad. Initially I wanted to relocate my main folders such as Documents/Music/Downloads etc. into new location. However, I somehow managed to combine...