Windows 10: Program Files Permissions

Discus and support Program Files Permissions in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi there, I upgraded from 7 to 10 today on my PC, and all appears to have gone well... 1 thing I noticed however was that I had a program that is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Tripledrop, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Program Files Permissions

Hi there,

I upgraded from 7 to 10 today on my PC, and all appears to have gone well...

1 thing I noticed however was that I had a program that is portable (i.e. you run directly from it's own folder each time, rather than installing into Program Files), and because I never needed it to be portable, I copied the folder into my program files folder to keep things tidy. I then set it to run at startup.

However on Windows 10, Permission is Denied when trying to run either at startup or manually. Running as admin works.

I'm guessing there's a change of permission level from win 7 to win 10, but wondered whether there was a way to allow this sort of thing?

Not a massive issue as for now I just copied the folder onto my desktop and it runs as normal.

:)

Tripledrop, Jul 29, 2015
  2. John1309 Win User

File permissions not editable on Program Files folders

I am relatively new to Windows 10. When troubleshooting an issue I went to check the security permissions on Program Files and Program Files (86) folders, however I found that the Administrators group permissions were blank and not editable. The Users group
    was also not editable.

Is this the normal behaviour in Windows 10 or is there something wrong? I checked 2 PCs and both are like this.

Program Files Permissions [​IMG]

Program Files Permissions [​IMG]

John1309, Jul 29, 2015
  3. File permissions not editable on Program Files folders

Hi John,

I'm willing to bet it's because the permissions are inherited.

Are these PC's standalone or part of a domain?

on those permission boxes you have open, can you click on advanced for me. Is there a "disable inheritance" button? See if clicking that works.

Let me know!

- C

Charlie Klausen, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Gary Win User

Program Files Permissions

5. Tripledrop, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Program Files Permissions

1. Program Files Permissions - Similar Threads - Program Files Permissions

2. windows 10 program files permissions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 program files permissions: Hi, I’m using windows 10 20h2, I make a fresh install on my laptop. During the installation I set up a User, this is the only one user on laptop, and it have adminrights. But with this user I can’t edit program files and program filesx86 folders, because it’s said access...
  3. Program permissions based on User Permissions?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Program permissions based on User Permissions?: I have a windows user that won't open a certain program, but if I change to a different user on the same machine, it will open. The software support team says there is an issue with the user profile permissions not allowing the program to open fulling under the USER 1...
  4. Grant Program Permission to Write Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Grant Program Permission to Write Files: Program is installed, upon first starting files are required to be written but access is not granted and I'm told to check permissions to folder in programdata, I've tried allowing everything but still the program has same error message. 179713
  5. permission to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SubFolder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    permission to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SubFolder: Winodws 10 Pro Workgroup 1909 Need access to review the security rating at http://virustotal.com Trying to access file in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SubFolder Have tried both C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\A278AB0D.Asphalt9_2.5.300.2_x86__h6adky7gbf63m>takeown /f...
  6. Lost admin permissions to Program Files x86

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost admin permissions to Program Files x86: Hello! I've been looking around for a while now and although there are some of the soltuions, they aren't working for me. I have two separate machines on my network which are both running Windows 10. One runs server applications and the other is my main machine. I tried...
  7. Program files(x86) has wrong permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Program files(x86) has wrong permissions: Dear Forum, i am currently experiencing a security issue with my Program Files(86 that is a bit bothersome. Recently i reinstalled two machines with the help of MDT and updating goes via WSUS. All our current machines are domain joined and we are in the process of migrating...
  8. Can not control permissions in C:/Program Files

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can not control permissions in C:/Program Files: I am trying to install a plugin for Matlab, which is installed in C:/Program Files. I have done it on PCs running all OSs many times. A dialogue says I do not have permission. I go to the folder Program Files, right click, properties, security, advanced, click change...
  9. Can not control permissions in C:/Program Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Can not control permissions in C:/Program Files: I am trying to install a plugin for Matlab, which is installed in C:/Program Files. I have done it on PCs running all OSs many times. A dialogue says I do not have permission. I go to the folder Program Files, right click, properties, security, advanced, click change...
  10. Problem permissions for modify Files on programs folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem permissions for modify Files on programs folder: I come from windows 7 and i have not problem to copy delete etc. files on programs. Now every time i search to change file o delete or copy a windows appear ask me a permission... There is a way to disable this warning or ahve full acces to programs ? Thank Hispa 11933