Windows 10: Program icons missing from W10 10 1809 start menu after inplace upgrade from W7 in SCCM

Discus and support Program icons missing from W10 10 1809 start menu after inplace upgrade from W7 in SCCM in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This issue has been popping up during our Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 Proof of Concept testing. This happens when we use SCCM and run an in place... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by EctoHerm, Aug 7, 2019.

1. EctoHerm Win User

Program icons missing from W10 10 1809 start menu after inplace upgrade from W7 in SCCM

This issue has been popping up during our Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 Proof of Concept testing. This happens when we use SCCM and run an in place upgrade of a deployed Windows 7 system. After the upgrade is done everything looks well except for one thing. I have seen on several machines now that the icons for programs are missing in the start menu. This only affects programs and not the Universal Windows Platform Apps.

Take Acrobat Reader's shortcut for example, in the start menu the icon appears as a blank page. But when I go to the location in Windows Explorer where the icon is at, it shows perfectly fine. Every search I have tried with recommendations have not worked. May need to post this on the tech net forums as well.

Program icons missing from W10 10 1809 start menu after inplace upgrade from W7 in SCCM [​IMG]

:)

EctoHerm, Aug 7, 2019
  2. entropy13 Win User

Some icons missing in W7

Why are some of my icons missing? Not just the shortcuts of those pinned in the start menu, the programs themselves lost their icons. Yet other times they re-appear.

Spoiler
    Program icons missing from W10 10 1809 start menu after inplace upgrade from W7 in SCCM B2Ncj.jpg

entropy13, Aug 7, 2019
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    missing icons in start menu

Hi Wickiwizard,

It is possible that the icon of your apps in Start menu is missing due to a corrupted system files. To provide you the accurate resolution, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Does this happen only with icons in Start menu?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with Start menu or Cortana.

If the issue still persists, we recommend that you follow the suggestion shared by
    Meliton Dec on this thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Aug 7, 2019
  4. bjarmint Win User

Program icons missing from W10 10 1809 start menu after inplace upgrade from W7 in SCCM

Start Menu Icon Missing In Task Bar & Apps (all) Listing; W10 Home

My desktop computer was upgraded to W10 Home from W7 Home Premium. After the upgrade the Start Menu Icon never appeared In the task bar or in the listing of apps. Task bar has following icons; Task View, Microsoft Edge, File Explorer, and Store but
    no Start Menu icon. Running Windows update did not resolve this. The Windows 10 Home is version 1511, OS build 10586.218. The computer is a Compaq Desktop Mod # CQ5110F with AMD Athlon(tm) dual core 2.50 GHZ, 3 GB
    ram, 32 bit operating system, x64 based processor, 1TB Seagate hybrid HD. About 8 months ago the desktop was cloned from the original 320 GB HD to the 1 TB HD Seagate hybrid using Seagate software. There has not been any significant problems
    since this was done. The computer was originally Vista and was upgraded to W7 using HP furnished disk using the “clean” install option. (On another computer, a laptop, upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 the start menu icon appears in the task bar so
    I am comparing the desktop to the laptop. The laptop and desktop are the same W10 version and build). The start menu icon does not show up on my desktop computer after upgrading W7 to W10.
    I would very much appreciate your help in resolving this and welcome any and all comments. Please let me know if additional information is needed. Thank you, Oscarmint

bjarmint, Aug 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Program icons missing from W10 10 1809 start menu after inplace upgrade from W7 in SCCM - Similar Threads - Program icons missing

2. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  3. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  4. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrading from W7 to W10

Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  6. Keeping files/programs intact when upgrading from W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keeping files/programs intact when upgrading from W7 to W10: Hi. I have a couple questions regarding upgrading from windows 7 to 10. I was considering upgrading for a while now, but i have one problem. I want to keep my games/programs/files intact when upgrading to windows 10. Now i know that W10 gives you the option to do that anyway,...
  7. Start menu icons missing from programs after inplace upgrade to W10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu icons missing from programs after inplace upgrade to W10: I've been encoutnering this issue and nothing I have found on ten forums or elsewhere has worked. We're working on SCCM to push and deploy Windows 10 Enterprise 1809/1903 to our workstations. I have been running tests with the in place upgrades. One bug I have encountered is...
  8. Program missing from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Program missing from Start Menu: I'm running windows 10, build 1607 (work machine, *I* can't update it) A while back, I was trying to create a shortcut to Outlook and accidentally MOVED the shortcut out of the start menu folder. (%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs) I've re-added it, but it...
  9. Locked out after upgrade to W10 from W7

Locked out after upgrade to W10 from W7: Hello. Need help urgently. Have been locked out after upgrading from W7 to W10. No Microsoft account. Please help. 17346
  10. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. after in place upgrade start menu misssing

2. win 10 1809 notebook icon missing

3. inplace upgrade windows 10 start menu