Windows 10: Program is sometimes normal and sometimes maximized only.

Discus and support Program is sometimes normal and sometimes maximized only. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I need help. I work with a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running whatever version of Windows 10 shipped on it. When I run a program - any program - it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by EdConnell1, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Program is sometimes normal and sometimes maximized only.

Hi,
    I need help. I work with a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running whatever version of Windows 10 shipped on it.
    When I run a program - any program - it starts in one of two modes. I will call them Mode 1 and Mode 2.
    Mode 1 is just like the sort of behavior that I have experienced for many years with Windows. That is the
    program starts in what I will call normal. It occupies some portion of the screen. There are three "icons"
    in the upper right. - to minimize, x to close, and a square by which I can maximize the program to fully occupy
    the screen. Clicking the square again retuns to normal. Likewise, dragging down on the title bar restores the
    window to normal.
    In Mode 2, the program starts maximized - but clicking the square has no effect. Graspig the title bar with the
    mouse and dragging down makes the window smaller and a vertical bar, of sorts, appears in the center of the screen.
    Dragging the window to the side leaves it "maximized" in one-half of the sreen. If there are other programs running,
    they appear as small windows on the other side. By selecting one of them with the mouse, it is "maximized" on that
    side.
    I can work in either Mode, but it really annoys me that I have no idea how to control which Mode will be chosen, nor
    do I have any idea of how to control this effect.
    Any information that you can give me will be greatly appreciated!
    Ed Connell

:)

EdConnell1, Jan 31, 2020

2. Windows won't maximize

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are unable to maximize/minimize the programs in Windows 10, we will help you to resolve this issue.

Kindly let us know with the following information:

• Is this issue specific to any applications/programs?
    • Were you able to see the maximize, minimize and close icons?
    • Have you tried to perform these using different user account?

This issue might be due to corrupted/ missing system files.

I suggest you to run System File Checker and check if it helps:

Method 1: Run the SFC.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer.

• Now check for the issue.

Hope this information is helpful. Kindly update the status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 31, 2020
  3. WIN10 MAXIMIZE ALL WINDOWS

Hi,

Window sizes are set to Normal by default. You may change the default window size of Windows programs by following the steps below:

• Right-click on the Windows shortcut (Ex. Microsoft Edge)
    • Click on Properties.
    • Click on the Shortcut tab.
    • Locate Run:, and then click the down-arrow to change the selected default window size.
    • Choose Maximized.
    • Click Apply, and then OK.

Feel free to get back to us if you encounter any further issues.

Patricia Yu, Jan 31, 2020
  4. Program is sometimes normal and sometimes maximized only.

Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Jan 31, 2020
Thema:

Program is sometimes normal and sometimes maximized only.

1. Program is sometimes normal and sometimes maximized only. - Similar Threads - Program sometimes normal

2. BSoD on boot but only sometimes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSoD on boot but only sometimes: I have recently upgraded to a new SSD Lexar nm790 1TB, it is twice the speed and size of my last SSD Samsung 970 EVO 500GB so I wanted to move my OS onto it. I used cloning software to do this operation but now I often get a BSoD as I try to boot it. After about 7 hours of...
  3. sometimes Windows not loaded normally

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sometimes Windows not loaded normally: HelloI got new PC with Windows 11 Pro several days ago. Today and few days ago I experienced with:1. black screen - the mouse was there, but nothing displayed. I tried CTRL + ALT + DEL and this show up menu and icons where I was able to restart PC. I did restart and then...
  4. sometimes Windows not loaded normally

sometimes Windows not loaded normally: HelloI got new PC with Windows 11 Pro several days ago. Today and few days ago I experienced with:1. black screen - the mouse was there, but nothing displayed. I tried CTRL + ALT + DEL and this show up menu and icons where I was able to restart PC. I did restart and then...
  5. "Program Manager" preventing shutdown but only sometimes?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Program Manager" preventing shutdown but only sometimes?: I've seen this happen to some people before and recently it started happening to me. A program called "Program Manager" appears when I try shutting down my laptop sometimes, only for it to go away soon after, I don't even have to force shutdown. What might be causing this? I...
  6. Only works sometimes

in Cortana
    Only works sometimes: Why the hell does Cortana on work when it wants to? And why isn't MS doing anything about it. I've tech support several times and they get it to work but 5 minutes later it stops....
  7. No internet, Secured, but only sometimes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No internet, Secured, but only sometimes: I've had this issue for a while now. I get the no internet Secured thing on my laptop. I've tried every guide I could find. It only happens on some wifi networks. It works with my home wifi, and in some locations in my school, but when I connect to certain networks it just...
  8. Blocking programs, sometimes

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Blocking programs, sometimes: HI! My windows 10 some times blocks programs, some times it does not. It runs little programs that I made with AUTOHOTKEY but then it does not allow them to do any action. Some times it brings up the confirmation window where it asks me to allow a program to make changes,...
  9. Sometimes programs hang

Sometimes programs hang: I've had Win10 installed on a rarely used test / backup PC since last fall, but upgraded my regularly used PC just last week, so I don't know if I'm describing a recent problem or one the has been lurking around for months. Sometimes I cannot launch new programs. Clicking...
  10. Mystery of the "sometimes" driver (sometimes works, sometimes not)..?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mystery of the "sometimes" driver (sometimes works, sometimes not)..?: I have this old-ish Midi interface. The last driver was a windows 8 driver. So, I restart in unsigned driver mode and browse manually to the driver. I made alterations in the .INF file so Win10 would be happier. Win10 loads it up but complains. So a bit sad I do a normal...