Windows 10: Program Manager running message on shutdown or restart

Discus and support Program Manager running message on shutdown or restart in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This has only started in the past week. Program manager??? is running in the background I'm told when trying to shut down or restart. At first it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jessallie, Feb 5, 2021.

1. jessallie Win User

Program Manager running message on shutdown or restart

This has only started in the past week. Program manager??? is running in the background I'm told when trying to shut down or restart. At first it was intermittently and now it's happening more often. I have not installed any new programs and don't know why this is happening. I tried a few fixes that I found on google and none worked. What can I do? It's really getting annoying.
    Thank you.

:)

jessallie, Feb 5, 2021

2. My pc takes for ever to shut down when i restart

Suggest cleaning up your startup list .There may be many services / Apps you can remove on startup which is not needed on boot or during shutdown.
    Before you shutdown the Pc check what is running in Task Manager as a program or service in not killing the process on shutdown

Would suggest cleaning up running apps and services -Autoruns, StartupMonitor,HighjackThis,
    Malware Scan - Malwarebytes,ADWcleaner, Combofix

SnakeDoctor, Feb 5, 2021
  3. Win 10 Shut Down Program Manager still open

Hi Alice.

We suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps given by Ankit Rajput in this

link.

Thank you.

Karina Aris, Feb 5, 2021
  4. Cr00zng Win User

Strange message at restart and shutdown...

I have a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit system, updated from Windows 8.1 about two weeks ego, wired connection assigned to a workgroup. The system works just fine with one exception. At the time of restart/shutdown, the system may display the following message:
    This message is more prevalent, if the restart/shutdown initiated right after login, or even prior to login, but shows up after 8-10 using the system and initiating a shutdown. My knee-jerk reaction was that the system has some malware, but had not been able to locate any. Admittedly, it does not mean the system has none...
    Actions taken so far:
    1. Scan system with Viper, Malwarebytes and Emisoft security software, came up empty
    2. Scan system off-line via Kaspersky and BitDefender, came up empty
    Disconnecting the PC from the network, for the purpose of eliminating remote connections to the PC, did not make the message go away. Evidently, this is a local logon by some process and/or scheduled task.
    The disabled UIDs are:

• Adminstrator
    • DefaultAccount
    • WDAGUtilityAccount
    The enabled UIDs are:

• UID1, standard user account
    • UID2, standard user account
    • UID3, local administarator account
    The message is coming from the file named "authui.dll":
    Windows 10 DLL File Information - authui.dll
    Reviewing the security event did not show any unknown account and the Task Scheduler shows mainly Windows scheduled tasks, with a few third-party application schedules.
    Reinstalling windows isn't really an option, one of the reasons for the update is to preserve the application and user data.
    Does anyone have an idea what triggers this message and how to get rid of it?
    TIA...

Cr00zng, Feb 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Program Manager running message on shutdown or restart - Similar Threads - Program Manager running

2. Program Manager is preventing the shutdown of Windows. Why?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program Manager is preventing the shutdown of Windows. Why?: The past few months when shutting down Windows 11, I get a message saysing, Program Manager is preventing the shutdown of Windows.When I click either CANCEL or Shutdown Anyway, Windows shuts down. This happens about 80% of the time.Why is this happening and how do I stop it?...
  3. "Program Manager" Displays on Shutdown Sometimes in Windows 11 and More Often on Restarts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Program Manager" Displays on Shutdown Sometimes in Windows 11 and More Often on Restarts: PROBLEMI own several Windows 11 machines and on a NEW installation of Windows 11 no other software it also appears!"Program Manager" is preventing shutdown message, and then Windows 11 does indeed shut down, just need to wait a few seconds and it shuts down.If I choose to...
  4. "Program Manager" Displays on Shutdown Sometimes in Windows 11 and More Often on Restarts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Program Manager" Displays on Shutdown Sometimes in Windows 11 and More Often on Restarts: PROBLEMI own several Windows 11 machines and on a NEW installation of Windows 11 no other software it also appears!"Program Manager" is preventing shutdown message, and then Windows 11 does indeed shut down, just need to wait a few seconds and it shuts down.If I choose to...
  5. "Program Manager This App is preventing shutdown"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Program Manager This App is preventing shutdown": Hi all, lately when trying to shut down a blue screen shows up displaying: "Program Manager: This App is preventing shutdown", and I'm given the option of "Shut down anyways" or "Cancel". If I choose shut down it will do it without issues, and if I click Cancel it will go...
  6. "Program Manager" preventing shutdown but only sometimes?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Program Manager" preventing shutdown but only sometimes?: I've seen this happen to some people before and recently it started happening to me. A program called "Program Manager" appears when I try shutting down my laptop sometimes, only for it to go away soon after, I don't even have to force shutdown. What might be causing this? I...
  7. Program Manager running on shutdown?

in Windows 10 Support
    Program Manager running on shutdown?: The message "Program Manager is still running" pops up on Windows 10, 1909 when shutting down. Since I never saw the words "Program Manager" used in WIndows, I scanned with Windows Defender, and Malwarebytes and both report everything is clean. 155920
  8. Program Manager runnng on shutdown?

in Windows 10 Support
    Program Manager runnng on shutdown?: The message "Program Manager is still running" pops up on Windows 10, 1909 when shutting down. Since I never saw the words "Program Manager" used in WIndows, I scanned with Windows Defender, and Malwarebytes and both report everything is clean. 155920
  9. Programs still running after shutdown

in Windows 10 Customization
    Programs still running after shutdown: Hi i bought a new Laptop :(Acer Nitro 5) and when i shut down it from the start menu and open it again after some time I find the same pograms still running I tried this solution: Open start, type: CMD Right click CMD Click Run as administrator At the command...
  10. Strange message at restart and shutdown...

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange message at restart and shutdown...: I have a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit system, updated from Windows 8.1 about two weeks ego, wired connection assigned to a workgroup. The system works just fine with one exception. At the time of restart/shutdown, the system may display the following message: "If you shut down...