Windows 10: "Program Manager This App is preventing shutdown"

Discus and support "Program Manager This App is preventing shutdown" in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, lately when trying to shut down a blue screen shows up displaying: "Program Manager: This App is preventing shutdown", and I'm given the option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by antares, Feb 28, 2021.

1. antares Win User

"Program Manager This App is preventing shutdown"

Hi all, lately when trying to shut down a blue screen shows up displaying: "Program Manager: This App is preventing shutdown", and I'm given the option of "Shut down anyways" or "Cancel". If I choose shut down it will do it without issues, and if I click Cancel it will go back to the Desktop. I checked Task Manager and there's no "Program Manager" listed, also the CPU usage at idle is 0%, so everything looks normal. Additionally I checked Task Scheduler and Services, and nothing unusual. Thanks for any feedback,

:)

antares, Feb 28, 2021

2. Unknown Program Preventing Shutdown and Updates

There is an unknown program preventing my computer from shutting down. When I click shutdown it says "This app is preventing shutdown" but there is only a generic app icon, and no name for the app. I have to select "shutdown anyway" which isn't allowing
    Windows Updates to be installed.

I've checked forums and could not find a solution which worked for me.

Task Manager tells me there are no program running. There are no "blank" programs on my app list in control panel. I've used sfc /scannow
    in the Command Window and it came back negative. I've turned off all Non-Windows programs for start-up that I don't need (I have a couple drivers which are necessary for my computer).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Program Manager This App is preventing shutdown" [​IMG]

NowMonsters, Feb 28, 2021
  3. My pc takes for ever to shut down when i restart

Suggest cleaning up your startup list .There may be many services / Apps you can remove on startup which is not needed on boot or during shutdown.
    Before you shutdown the Pc check what is running in Task Manager as a program or service in not killing the process on shutdown

Would suggest cleaning up running apps and services -Autoruns, StartupMonitor,HighjackThis,
    Malware Scan - Malwarebytes,ADWcleaner, Combofix

SnakeDoctor, Feb 28, 2021
  4. "Program Manager This App is preventing shutdown"

Mystery app preventing Windows 10 shutdown after update.

After much searching, and trying many, many suggestions, this is what eventually worked for me:-

Run Windows System File Checker
    Your Windows PC comes with an in-built system file checker utility program. It can scan your system files and let you know if there is some corruption over there for which you get smashed
    with the error message “Task Host Window Preventing Shutdown”. You must follow these simple steps here to run the Windows System File Checker,

• Press the Windows Logo Key + X from your PC
    • From the drop-down list select the Command Prompt(Admin)
    • Click on Yes if prompted for permission. It will open the elevated command prompt on your system
    • Now, type in the following command and press the enter button
    • sfc /scannow
    • Then, wait until the System File Checker continues the process of scanning. Press Y if the program asks for permission to apply the fixes for your missing system files
    • Finally, Restart your PC once again and check if you can get over the problem there
    I found the above on a list of several suggestions, which are on the following link, but the above was what removed the problem for me.

This App is Preventing Shutdown in Windows 10 [SOLVED]

GavinGillespie, Feb 28, 2021
Thema:

"Program Manager This App is preventing shutdown"

1. "Program Manager This App is preventing shutdown" - Similar Threads - Program Manager App

2. Program Manager is preventing the shutdown of Windows. Why?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program Manager is preventing the shutdown of Windows. Why?: The past few months when shutting down Windows 11, I get a message saysing, Program Manager is preventing the shutdown of Windows.When I click either CANCEL or Shutdown Anyway, Windows shuts down. This happens about 80% of the time.Why is this happening and how do I stop it?...
  3. Program Manager is preventing the shutdown of Windows. Why?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program Manager is preventing the shutdown of Windows. Why?: The past few months when shutting down Windows 11, I get a message saysing, Program Manager is preventing the shutdown of Windows.When I click either CANCEL or Shutdown Anyway, Windows shuts down. This happens about 80% of the time.Why is this happening and how do I stop it?...
  4. Windows 10 - Program Manager preventing shutdown. Solutions?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 - Program Manager preventing shutdown. Solutions?: This recently started happening. I have let this issue go on for a few months now and System Restore is not a viable option. Additionally, coming from Windows 7 to 10 (different PC) there is this window that always appears on the Task View to the right with the small Task...
  5. Windows 10 - Program Manager preventing shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 - Program Manager preventing shutdown: This recently started happening. I have researched the issue in this forum going back to 2015. None of the "suggestions" offered actually provided any solutions aside from going nuclear and reformatting your storage device and reinstalling Windows or doing a System Restore....
  6. "Program Manager" preventing shutdown but only sometimes?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Program Manager" preventing shutdown but only sometimes?: I've seen this happen to some people before and recently it started happening to me. A program called "Program Manager" appears when I try shutting down my laptop sometimes, only for it to go away soon after, I don't even have to force shutdown. What might be causing this? I...
  7. Unknown programs preventing shutdown.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unknown programs preventing shutdown.: Hey Reddit! So recently, I've started (probably started a week or so ago) seeing weird programs interrupting and preventing the shutdown of my computer. I have 2 pics (please excuse the language, you get the programs' names anyway) which show the programs on the shutdown...
  8. A program is preventing from shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    A program is preventing from shutdown: One program is preventing from shutdown it was not visible clearly at it disappears in seconds, in safe mode it was fine.this problem occurs after removing some default windows software from power shell i have restored all of them through power shell command still the problem...
  9. App prevents shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    App prevents shutdown: When I go to shut down my computer, a pop up comes on the screen saying, "An app running in the background is preventing shut down". How can I tell which up is running? and Can I close this app myself? Thanks...
  10. unknown program preventing shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    unknown program preventing shutdown: this program is preventing my every shutdown for quite some time now. i have already checked the control panel : programs and the startup page in task manager, to get rid of programs and apps i dont need. In the task manager Startup tab, there are all normal processes you'd...