Windows 10: Program Opening Only As Background Process

Discus and support Program Opening Only As Background Process in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been having this issue for nearly two years now, but I have only sought to remedy it recently. When I attempt to run certain apps, the cursor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by uranianUmbra, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Program Opening Only As Background Process

I have been having this issue for nearly two years now, but I have only sought to remedy it recently. When I attempt to run certain apps, the cursor shows as "Working in Background", signifying that the app is starting up, yet the app never progresses past being a background process. I can always see them running as background processes in Task Manager, but they never provide a window to Alt+Tab or Windows+Tab to.Known apps that are/were affected include: OBS Studio; Malwarebytes; and Mumble. OBS Studio used to work perfectly fine, but had stopped working about two years ago. I have tried rein

:)

uranianUmbra, Apr 29, 2021
  2. Davidk03 Win User

Program running a background process?

I'm running Corel Video Studio 2018, and it's updates function shows characteristics of a background process:

- the program has an auto check daily plus a manual option for updates

- manually checked, presented with an option of downloading an update and Ok'd, evidence of any activity vanishes from the program workspace, yet the connected internet modem activity light begins running hot as the download happens

- it's repeatable over several up-date cycles

The evidence seems to suggest a background activity - whilst the program/PC is free to use for other things. Several software packages do this.

However, a check in task manager/processes, show all, does not display any info of a related background process for any Corel or Video Studio program. If a background process is being used by the software, MUST it be listed in the task manager/processes
    list?

Platform is windows 7 home sp1 64bit plus the important patches.

Davidk03, Apr 29, 2021
  3. Some Programs Only Open as Background Processes

I've recently been having a problem opening certain programs properly on Windows 10. For over a month, some programs that I used to use perfectly fine before have now started to not open anything when I click on them. Regardless of whether I open them from
    the File Explorer or a desktop shortcut, whether I run it regularly or as an administrator, or if I uninstall and reinstall the programs, these programs just won't open. When I check the Task Manager, I see that they're being opened as background processes,
    but they're intended to run as regular Apps, not in the background, and no matter how long I wait, they never make the jump to running as a proper application.

The specific programs I can't run are Telegram, Origin, and 4K Video Downloader. None are made by Microsoft, and are a variety of completely different applications made by different companies and people, with very little I know of that they have in common
    beyond their sudden inability to be opened properly. I never see any sort of error messages pop up, and I can end their tasks in Task Manager without any issue, but they just don't seem to open at all.

When I first turn on my computer, however, occasionally the programs WILL open properly. If I attempt to open them immediately upon turning the computer on, they will sometimes open as they should and not as a background process. If I then close them and
    later attempt to re-open them, the same background process issue will then occur. This isn't a foolproof method of opening these apps, though, and often it won't have any effect on them at all. I've also tried disabling everything that would run at start-up
    and not opening anything else manually beyond the affected programs, and the same results would occur. Sometimes they would open as normal, other times they would fail to be anything beyond a background process.

I've tried looking up help for this issue, but it almost seems like I may be the only person to ever have this happen to them, judging by Google results at the very least. So I thought I ought to ask here to see if anyone could give me advice for fixing
    this problem and getting these programs, which previously would run without any issue whatsoever, to once again open for me properly.

Zachary Yale, Apr 29, 2021
  4. John Vil Win User

Program Opening Only As Background Process

Background Processes

Hello Andrew,

Task Manager shows you the running processes or programs depending on what kind of services they are.
    Background processes run in the background without user intervention. The processes you see under this category include processes that involve logging, system monitoring, scheduling, and notifications. These are the processes that programs
    usually use in the background. Windows services on the other hand, shows you the list of processes that make up your computer's interface or behavior. This explains why what you normally see under this category are the Windows services that
    tell your computer how to operate.

Regards.

John Vil, Apr 29, 2021
Thema:

Program Opening Only As Background Process

1. Program Opening Only As Background Process - Similar Threads - Program Opening Background

2. Program will open but only run in background

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program will open but only run in background: I was trying to help someone with this issue on their computer. The app was working fine until he tried installing a new program, which required him to restart his computer. Once he restarted his computer the app would not open in the foreground. When we try opening the...
  3. Program will open but only run in background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program will open but only run in background: I was trying to help someone with this issue on their computer. The app was working fine until he tried installing a new program, which required him to restart his computer. Once he restarted his computer the app would not open in the foreground. When we try opening the...
  4. Program will open but only run in background

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. one program open only as background processes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    one program open only as background processes: I have same problem as here:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-programs-only-open-as-background-processes/556f3615-aa6e-4416-94a9-e59fe938db7bBut only with one program, Aerosoft Launcher.I didnt had problem when I used first new pc with Windows10, but...
  6. one program open only as background processes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    one program open only as background processes: I have same problem as here:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-programs-only-open-as-background-processes/556f3615-aa6e-4416-94a9-e59fe938db7bBut only with one program, Aerosoft Launcher.I didnt had problem when I used first new pc with Windows10, but...
  7. one program open only as background processes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Executables only opening as a background process, not on the desktop.

Executables only opening as a background process, not on the desktop.: I have been trying to open Flashpoint for a while, but whenever I do, it instead opens as a background process, and I cant figure out how to make a desktop process. I have updated all my drivers, and Flashpoint was working fine up until now. I have had the same issue with...
  9. Programs on my laptop only open as background processes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs on my laptop only open as background processes: So I'm having trouble opening apps; for example, when I try to open zoom it won't pop up on my screen but it will show up in task manager under background processes. This opening error happened overnight and has affected other apps on my pc too. I found this which describes...
  10. Some Programs Only Open as Background Processes

Some Programs Only Open as Background Processes: I've recently been having a problem opening certain programs properly on Windows 10. For over a month, some programs that I used to use perfectly fine before have now started to not open anything when I click on them. Regardless of whether I open them from the File Explorer...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. programs open in background windows 10