Windows 10: Program running as Service cannot access NAS while logged in as User

Discus and support Program running as Service cannot access NAS while logged in as User in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a program that I would like to run as a service. The program requires access to read/write to my NAS. I have changed the service to Log On as my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DionL, Nov 1, 2020.

1. DionL Win User

Program running as Service cannot access NAS while logged in as User

I have a program that I would like to run as a service. The program requires access to read/write to my NAS. I have changed the service to Log On as my specific user account, in which the username and password match that of the shared NAS drive. This worked up until the recent Windows update. I believe there is an issue with the service editor username/password. When I run the program manually not within the service window then it can access the NAS without issue while I'm logged in as the specific user. But if I run the program using the Services either automatically on startup, or manually starting it then it cannot access the NAS.

:)

DionL, Nov 1, 2020
  2. Berton Win User

Running programs from NAS

I wonder if the programs that won't run from the NAS would run when installed on an External USB drive attached to the computer? In the past I've seen some programs that wouldn't run except when installed on a drive physically attached to the motherboard in the computer. I just tried a couple of rather simple programs, one said there was not enough space [58MB] available on a 1TB NAS HDD with over 400GB free and the other needed 9.6MB but didn't list any USB or NAS drives as possible destinations.

Berton, Nov 1, 2020
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Running programs from NAS

Sounds like it might be an account permissions setting on your NAS. The upgrade to Windows 10 will generate new internal IDs for the accounts, even though they are the same user name and password. I've got no problems with my DLink NAS - but the only programs I run from it are setup/install programs. I also have no access errors when my media computer is playing videos from the NAS and I am reading/writing files to it on my laptop.

I do run a multi-game disk saved on my NAS called American Horrors - I had to map a drive letter for that. That would be about as close to actually running programs from the NAS - it has a main install program that runs directly off the NAS (via the mapped drive letter) then displays a menu of the available sub-programs for installation. It wouldn't wok without a mapped drive letter.

NavyLCDR, Nov 1, 2020
  4. Deezur16 Win User

(Win10 Home) Log On Settings for Services reverting from User/Admin to Local System

Thank you for the prompt reply.

As part of the set-up, I have uninstalled the application. For the application installer, within the Compatibility tab I see under "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"

(only one option within the drop down list)

"Previous version of Windows".

After selecting the above and installing the application, I proceeded to set the "Log On As" from "Local System account" to "This account: .\User"

This was done after

Stopping both application services

Thereafter restarting both services

Log On As ".\User" remains

Upon accessing the application, the application becomes unresponsive.

Running the application again, the "Log On As" returns to Local System.

I have repeated the prior steps, while changing the application properties "Startup type: Automatic, Automatic (Delayed Start), Manual, Disabled"

Each results in the same issue.

Within the application and the installer for the application, under the "Compatibility" tab, I have run the compatibility troubleshooter and "Test the program..."

There don't appear to be any errors.

It seems that users running Windows 10 Pro aren't facing these issues and changes to the two application services Log On As ".\User" remain after restarting Windows and starting the application.

Also, while possibly unrelated, I selected a different application installer, and within the Compatibility tab many more options are available in the drop down list for "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"

Windows 8

Windows 7

Windows Vista

etc...

While, as noted with the application installer for Hysolid, the options in the drop down list for "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"

Shows only

"Previous version of Windows"

This is peculiar, as Hysolid is compatible with Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Deezur16, Nov 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Program running as Service cannot access NAS while logged in as User - Similar Threads - Program running Service

2. cannot access Lacie NAS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot access Lacie NAS: i have a Lacie NAS and cant remember my login details to access it via the web portal is there a way I can acccess it locally via ethernet so I can access the files I cant reset the device as I have photos which I want to keep on it If I took the device out of the nas...
  3. How do I run a program with administrative access remotely when the user logged in does not...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I run a program with administrative access remotely when the user logged in does not...: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic we are all now working from home. However our users do not have admin access. Some need to install their home printers and need remote assistance with admin rights to fix their issues. Teams - does not show the admin login credentials Quick...
  4. NAS access for remote users

NAS access for remote users: Good morning all, We are a small design and engineering firm that is beginning to allow more and more remote workers. With that comes the issues of data backup, file sharing, and user based access permissions. In researching options, I believe our needs would be easily...
  5. Connecting to NAS - "Windows cannot access"

Connecting to NAS - "Windows cannot access": I tried to connect to my NAS by entering \\Wintermute into my File Explorer address bar and was prompted to enter my credentials. I then got this error. I get this error every time I try to connect to \\Wintermute, without being asked for my credentials. Can anyone advise...
  6. I cannot access a NAS as a guest user

I cannot access a NAS as a guest user: Hi I need to access a NAS as a guest user, it is possible to access the NAS on a computer with Linus but it is not possible when using Windows. When I try I get the network error 1208. From what I have read the functionality was disabled in windows because it was too...
  7. Cannot access files on Nas

Cannot access files on Nas: On 1803 (latest update) & 1809 I cannot access files on my nas or connect to my Nas web gui with jumbo frames enabled. This is happening on Intel & Realtek nic's. This had been working on all machines until the latest update Win10 Pro and Home. Disabling jumbo frames...
  8. Cannot access NAS from One User

Cannot access NAS from One User: Hello! Yesterday, I came back to my computer, only to find I cannot access my NAS. I went on another computer in my house, attached through LAN and it worked. I also went to another user on my computer and it worked, but on my user it did not. Naturally, I tested and...
  9. Running programs from NAS

Running programs from NAS: Ever since installing Windows 10 (clean) I'm facing several network related issues. Before going in depth I'd like to figure out if it's a problem with my PC or if it's a problem with Windows 10 in general. I'll just stick to one problem for now. I have a Synology NAS and...
  10. Cannot access a secured share on a NAS

Cannot access a secured share on a NAS: I have a NAS drive with both several unprotected folders and one protected folder. I have no trouble accessing the unprotected folders from Win10, but I cannot get access to the protected one. If I click on the secure folder from File Explorer I get the popup [img] I...