Windows 10: Program shortcut icons disappear

Discus and support Program shortcut icons disappear in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have some folders on my desktop which contain shortcuts to often used programs. Some of these icons sometimes get lost (quite reliably after I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jacobacci, Sep 19, 2018.

1. jacobacci Win User

Program shortcut icons disappear

I have some folders on my desktop which contain shortcuts to often used programs.
    Some of these icons sometimes get lost (quite reliably after I reinstall Windows from scratch and newly create the folder that holds the shortcuts and the shortcuts themselves) and only a white folder thumbnail is shown (not the default folder one).
    This has been happening to me on several PCs (both AMD and Intel) ever since Windows 10. This is with all versions of Win 10. The icon is lost only with certain "boutique" programs (i.e. EasyBCD, CoreTemp). I suspect it has something to do with the way the developer has coded the program icon.
    I can reliably make the icon come back by doing the following:
    - right click - properties
    - click change icon and click on the icon that displays
    - click ok
    - click ok (sometimes it asks for admin permissions)
    If I do this sequence TWICE, the icon comes back and sticks for many months, before disappearing again.
    Two questions:
    - has anyone else noticed this (I find it a royal pain in the neck)
    - is there anyway to automate the above described procedure?

:)

jacobacci, Sep 19, 2018

2. Blank shortcut icon GPU-Z

I know I am quite late but as I was scrolling through I saw this post which happened to one of friend too. This sometimes happens with Windows. Usually a reboot will solve the problem. However if this doesn't, try setting the icon for the shortcut(right-click pinned icon, right-click program, left-click properties, select "change icon...") or refreshing it by switching to a different icon, applying it, and then reverting back to the original icon. Remove the shortcut from the taskbar and replace it with the start menu shortcut or simply drag the .exe file to the taskbar.

lorraine walsh, Sep 19, 2018
  3. Rule-R Win User
    Desktop shortcuts disappearing

One of the computers i maintain has a few of the desktop shortcuts disappearing now and then. It runs windows 7, and has a shitload of shortcuts on the desktop.

Any idea what might cause this?

Rule-R, Sep 19, 2018
  4. Naki Win User

GPU-Z Program Icon Submission

Suggestion to have an option to change Notification Area icon this way too.
    Suggestion to finally have proper separate Options window like most (all?) Windows programs do.

Thema:

1. Program shortcut icons disappear - Similar Threads - Program shortcut icons

2. Some desktop shortcut icons disappearing/shifting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some desktop shortcut icons disappearing/shifting.: Hello,Not infrequently, some of my desktop shortcut icons will simply blink and disappear, or suddenly move out of place. All my desktop/icon settings are correct. This is an up to date HP on Windows 11. Why is this happening? I finally trashed all the shortcuts except...
  3. Some desktop shortcut icons disappearing/shifting.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some desktop shortcut icons disappearing/shifting.: Hello,Not infrequently, some of my desktop shortcut icons will simply blink and disappear, or suddenly move out of place. All my desktop/icon settings are correct. This is an up to date HP on Windows 11. Why is this happening? I finally trashed all the shortcuts except...
  4. Shortcut to a program keeps disappearing from a folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shortcut to a program keeps disappearing from a folder.: I'm running W10 on a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series laptop. Among the programs I use in maintaining my system is IObit's "Advanced System Care," and I keep a shortcut to it in a folder along with other shortcuts. I generally run ASC once a week. For the past three or four...
  5. Hide All Programs icons/shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hide All Programs icons/shortcut: Hi, I would like to hide all Pinned tiles icons and All Apps shortcuts items in Start menu, how can I do it? My reason is because I want to manage all the icons I want to customize the icons that should appears and not....
  6. Program Icons in a Folder Disappearing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program Icons in a Folder Disappearing: Hi everyone. So I have a weird problem. I have a "Games" folder on my Dektop. It's where I keep my games, shocking, I know. For some reason the isons constantly disappear. Sometimes I set custom icons if I don't like the looks of a default icon, it just helps me identify...
  7. Some shortcut icons disappeared

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some shortcut icons disappeared: I have tried every solution I have seen posted...earlier today a number of my icons disappeared from my desktop. Seems like it's mostly the icons that shortcut to an internet website. I am running Windows 10 and I recently updated and have rebooted. I have tried to select...
  8. Shortcuts' icons disappear in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcuts' icons disappear in Start Menu: Whenever I move shortcuts to a folder in the Start Menu, a lot of times the icon turns into what appears to be a white blank sheet of paper. I've tried changing the icon, to no avail. They show up just fine in the Start Menu, just not in File Explorer. How do I fix this? 82451
  9. Desktop shortcut icon arrow disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut icon arrow disappeared: [img] <-Before [img] <-After I upgraded to Windows 10 recently, and I've noticed something strange happening. When I boot up my computer, the desktop looks fine, but after a while, the little arrow overlays at the bottom left corner of the shortcut icons disappear....
  10. Taskbar shortcut icons disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar shortcut icons disappeared: After checking and configuring my router I went to the regular desktop view which is plain and looks like Win7 Only the quick access, internet icon, notices, lanquage and clock icons were visible. I had created a new toolbar which referenced the start menu in Windows...