Windows 10: program starting but not in my Start Folder !?

Discus and support program starting but not in my Start Folder !? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Occasionally I see a program running on my PC that is not in my Windows Start Folder and I did not start it myself! It's a program I did install, so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bromberg, Oct 20, 2018.

1. bromberg Win User

program starting but not in my Start Folder !?

Occasionally I see a program running on my PC that is not in my Windows Start Folder and I did not start it myself!
    It's a program I did install, so it's not malware, but I don't want it to run by itself unless I start it.

How can I track down from where in Windows this is being started and prevent this program from automatically starting upon bootup?

BTW, there is no OPTION checkbox such as: START WITH WINDOWS .

Thanks,
    Dan

:)

bromberg, Oct 20, 2018
  2. N9ZN-Extra Win User

Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs"

RE: WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32bit, Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs" list.

I have several "start menu" programs missing in my "all programs" list. One of the missing entries is the "accessories" folder and all related files.

As far as I can tell all of the missing files are on the system and they can be found by using the "start menu search" facility. This problem is occurring with other users but I can not find a solution which works to get things back the way they were after installing the OS.

I am seeing the missing apps and other items at this location in iexplore.exe %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs .

Everything I have tried to get these items back into my "start menu" "all programs" list has been met with failure except creating a shortcut. A shortcut is not the real fix as it leaves two entries in the folder.

When I right click on the highlighted "all Programs" box, in the start menu, a small options list pops up, if "open all users" is selected a new window pops up. Inside that window I can click on the programs folder where I can see the missing entries that should appear on my "all programs" list plus those which I presently see on my "all programs" list together in a single directory listing.

How can I get the above directory list of programs back into the "start menu" "all programs" area so I do not have to go through this extra window and select the programs folder to locate what I wish to run?

I also noticed my accessories folder has a lock on it while I am in the primary user administrator account. If you know how to get rid of the lock it would be helpful however I can find that information when I get a chance to look up the answer?

I noticed some hidden (first tier) folders on the C: drive which I made visible while leaving protection on the OS folders. I can now see these folders in an iexplore.exe directory listing. This did not fix the problem in the "all programs" file selection list and I do not remember if this folder was hidden when the OS was installed.

When I opened up the system to allow a login directly into the Administrator account everything shows up the same as it did when the OS installed along with all other programs installed afterward.

After some progress I am still here *Bang Head :banghead: and slowly getting closer to an answer. Can anyone help me get there a little faster?

N9ZN-Extra, Oct 20, 2018
  3. Mr Ed Win User
    Removing unused programs from start menu

Thanks, guys. It worked. I deleted the files in the folder as you suggested and now those apps are gone from the start list. program starting but not in my Start Folder !? :)

Mr Ed, Oct 20, 2018
  4. King Icewind Win User

Load Real Temp on Start Up. Works with all Programs!

Hi, sorry to post a new thread so soon but I noticed someone posting about having Real Temp load on start up. Someone suggested using a Scheduled Task.

Here's how I did it,

-Click on Start
    -Go to "All Programs"
    -Scroll down to the "Start Up" Folder
    -Right click on the "Start Up" folder and Click "Explore"
    -Create a shortcut of the Real Temp.exe (Do this by right clicking on it, and clicking "Create ShortCut")
    -Place the Short Cut in the "Start Up" folder that you opened earlier.

Now it will load on login. It will work with just about any other program as well. You can also move the Real Temp application to a location on the desktop and it will start up there. I have mine starting up in the lower right corner, just above the Time on the taskbar.

There's probably a better place, or maybe it's been posted already. So if there is a better place (where more people can see it) perhaps a Mod could move it there.

Thanks,

King Icewind

King Icewind, Oct 20, 2018
Thema:

1. program starting but not in my Start Folder !? - Similar Threads - program starting Start

2. Lagging and program is not starting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lagging and program is not starting: I have installed Windows 10.but none of the program i can run.only open files.not even google chrome or any other dekstop program r working.what to do?...
  3. a program on start up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    a program on start up: how do I remove a app I pinned to start up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_social/a-program-on-start-up/f659d449-c764-4c7d-b4ca-51e3bdddee71
  4. Is it possible to display icons for Start Menu program list folders?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it possible to display icons for Start Menu program list folders?: Obviously icons are displayed in the program list when the shortcut is not nested inside a folder. But it seems windows will not display customized folder icons. The properties for the folder can be opened, and a custom icon selected, but it does not display. Not in the start...
  5. Folders on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Folders on Start Menu: Hi, Last question on customizing Windows 10 *Smile Settings > Personalization > Start > Choose which folder appear on Start I need to enable ONLY the following ones: File Explorer Settings Documents Downloads Personal Folder As usual via registry! In Windows 7...
  6. Lost OneDrive from my Start folder

Lost OneDrive from my Start folder: I rather stupidly lost OneDrive from my Start folder. I managed to almost recover it using instructions that I found on these forums. If I now tap on Start, Files-OneDrive, a window opens showing my Files from my old version of OneDrive. However, I often have to tap on a box...
  7. Start-up Programs

Start-up Programs: I can see the start-up list of programs in the task manager. I want to add one to the list. f1 an no help or menu option is visible. I want to add a browser. How do I do this Please. *Huh 45862
  8. No startup folder - how to auto start a program

No startup folder - how to auto start a program: Since there is no START folder, how do you set up an exe file to run whenever windows 10 starts? Thanks Doug 28491
  9. Accidentally started a deletion of my desktop folders.

in Windows 10 Support
    Accidentally started a deletion of my desktop folders.: Some months ago, I accidentally knocked some unknown keys on the upper Left Hand side of my desk keyboard. Instantly a pop up flashed up with a progress bar saying "Deletion 28% completed" or something very similar. My Desktop short cut to my important folders were...
  10. Start Button/Start Menu/All Programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Button/Start Menu/All Programs: Customization of the Start Menu (no tiles please) equals speed! As you can see I am using the classic theme in Windows 7. We professionals and powers users can customize the Start Menu in such a way that we can access the most important areas, features, commands etc. of...