Windows 10: program starting but not in my Start Folder !?

Discus and support program starting but not in my Start Folder !? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Occasionally I see a program running on my PC that is not in my Windows Start Folder and I did not start it myself! It's a program I did install, so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bromberg, Oct 20, 2018.

1. bromberg Win User

program starting but not in my Start Folder !?

Occasionally I see a program running on my PC that is not in my Windows Start Folder and I did not start it myself!
    It's a program I did install, so it's not malware, but I don't want it to run by itself unless I start it.

How can I track down from where in Windows this is being started and prevent this program from automatically starting upon bootup?

BTW, there is no OPTION checkbox such as: START WITH WINDOWS .

Thanks,
    Dan

:)

bromberg, Oct 20, 2018

2. Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs"

RE: WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32bit, Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs" list.

I have several "start menu" programs missing in my "all programs" list. One of the missing entries is the "accessories" folder and all related files.

As far as I can tell all of the missing files are on the system and they can be found by using the "start menu search" facility. This problem is occurring with other users but I can not find a solution which works to get things back the way they were after installing the OS.

I am seeing the missing apps and other items at this location in iexplore.exe %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs .

Everything I have tried to get these items back into my "start menu" "all programs" list has been met with failure except creating a shortcut. A shortcut is not the real fix as it leaves two entries in the folder.

When I right click on the highlighted "all Programs" box, in the start menu, a small options list pops up, if "open all users" is selected a new window pops up. Inside that window I can click on the programs folder where I can see the missing entries that should appear on my "all programs" list plus those which I presently see on my "all programs" list together in a single directory listing.

How can I get the above directory list of programs back into the "start menu" "all programs" area so I do not have to go through this extra window and select the programs folder to locate what I wish to run?

I also noticed my accessories folder has a lock on it while I am in the primary user administrator account. If you know how to get rid of the lock it would be helpful however I can find that information when I get a chance to look up the answer?

I noticed some hidden (first tier) folders on the C: drive which I made visible while leaving protection on the OS folders. I can now see these folders in an iexplore.exe directory listing. This did not fix the problem in the "all programs" file selection list and I do not remember if this folder was hidden when the OS was installed.

When I opened up the system to allow a login directly into the Administrator account everything shows up the same as it did when the OS installed along with all other programs installed afterward.

After some progress I am still here *Bang Head :banghead: and slowly getting closer to an answer. Can anyone help me get there a little faster?

N9ZN-Extra, Oct 20, 2018
  3. Mr Ed Win User
    Removing unused programs from start menu

Thanks, guys. It worked. I deleted the files in the folder as you suggested and now those apps are gone from the start list. program starting but not in my Start Folder !? :)

Mr Ed, Oct 20, 2018
  4. program starting but not in my Start Folder !?

Load Real Temp on Start Up. Works with all Programs!

Hi, sorry to post a new thread so soon but I noticed someone posting about having Real Temp load on start up. Someone suggested using a Scheduled Task.

Here's how I did it,

-Click on Start
    -Go to "All Programs"
    -Scroll down to the "Start Up" Folder
    -Right click on the "Start Up" folder and Click "Explore"
    -Create a shortcut of the Real Temp.exe (Do this by right clicking on it, and clicking "Create ShortCut")
    -Place the Short Cut in the "Start Up" folder that you opened earlier.

Now it will load on login. It will work with just about any other program as well. You can also move the Real Temp application to a location on the desktop and it will start up there. I have mine starting up in the lower right corner, just above the Time on the taskbar.

There's probably a better place, or maybe it's been posted already. So if there is a better place (where more people can see it) perhaps a Mod could move it there.

Thanks,

King Icewind

King Icewind, Oct 20, 2018
Thema:

program starting but not in my Start Folder !?

1. program starting but not in my Start Folder !? - Similar Threads - program starting Start

2. Taskbar menu start icon empty when program is started from programs folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar menu start icon empty when program is started from programs folder: I have developed a program with installer. The program is installed in the programs folder. The program has also a link in the menu start. However the icon is empty:When I start the program from menu the icon the icon on the taskbar is also emptyWhen I start the program...
  3. Taskbar menu start icon empty when program is started from programs folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar menu start icon empty when program is started from programs folder: I have developed a program with installer. The program is installed in the programs folder. The program has also a link in the menu start. However the icon is empty:When I start the program from menu the icon the icon on the taskbar is also emptyWhen I start the program...
  4. Taskbar menu start icon empty when program is started from programs folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Start program

Start program: Am I able to remove Microsoft Start from my task bar and remove it completely? I already have Edge and don't need Start.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-program/d9f48d26-a353-40a8-a6b5-adb0282ab416
  6. Start program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start program: Am I able to remove Microsoft Start from my task bar and remove it completely? I already have Edge and don't need Start.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-program/d9f48d26-a353-40a8-a6b5-adb0282ab416
  7. Start program

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Programs not starting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs not starting: Hi there,Yesterday different programs on my Lenovo PC suddenly can't be started. Programs like Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Epic Games Launcher, GeForce Experience nVidia, Intel Driver Assistant etc. When I click on the shortcuts, nothing happens, except the program becomes...
  9. Programs not starting

Programs not starting: Hi there,Yesterday different programs on my Lenovo PC suddenly can't be started. Programs like Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Epic Games Launcher, GeForce Experience nVidia, Intel Driver Assistant etc. When I click on the shortcuts, nothing happens, except the program becomes...
  10. I deleted the Start-up and Maintenance folders in the Start Menu\Programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I deleted the Start-up and Maintenance folders in the Start Menu\Programs: I deleted those folders in %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and I cannot get them back and it is causing issues for some apps to startup such as my Logitech app and Windows Security notification. submitted by /u/M_A99 [link] [comments]...