Windows 10: program will not open- change file type associated with a file extension

Discus and support program will not open- change file type associated with a file extension in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I went to control panel, file, and when I click on "change the file type associated with a file extension" the window opens with the blue screen and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ChristinaBrennan, Feb 12, 2019.

1. program will not open- change file type associated with a file extension

I went to control panel, file, and when I click on "change the file type associated with a file extension" the window opens with the blue screen and the file icon in the center but never actually opens up at all.

:)

ChristinaBrennan, Feb 12, 2019

2. Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Feb 12, 2019
  3. webben Win User
    File type associations not launching the program in the list

This problem has just started on several machines since 8/20/2016. On Windows 10 Pro computers, the program associated with a file type extension will not launch correctly anymore even though the correct program is listed as associated with that file type.

I have seen two versions of this issue. On one machine, double clicking on a file in Windows Explorer with a .xls extension would open Excel but the worksheet would be blank. If you open Excel first and then load the file from within Excel, it opens fine.

On another computer, double clicking on a file with an assigned file extension results in nothing happening.

I have been able to solve this problem by going to the "Control Panel" --> "Default Programs" --> "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" selecting the file extension I need to work, click "Change Program..." and select the same program that was already listed as the "Current Default".

Obviously, the program listed as the current default is no longer associated with the extension in the registry.

The next time I see this behavior, I will check the registry entries before I apply my "fix".

I just wanted to know if others are seeing this issue and what is causing it.

webben, Feb 12, 2019
  4. program will not open- change file type associated with a file extension

Change file association back to unknown program in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1) Create a new file with any extension and save it on any location.

2) Next Open Control Panel (icons view), click/tap on the default programs icon.

3) Click/tap on the Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    link.

4) Either double click/tap on the file extension or protocol, or click/tap on the file extension or protocol and click/tap on the
    Change Program button of the one you want to change the "current default' program association of.

5) If the program you want to associate is not listed, then click/tap on the
    More Options
    link if available.

6) Click/tap on a listed program that you want to associate.

7) If you associated a program, then you will see this below as "Set Associations" updates and reloads.

8) Once it is done go back to the file which you have created and delete the file.

9) Go to default programs and refresh the set association programs. It should show as other unknown.

Hope this helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Feb 12, 2019
Thema:

program will not open- change file type associated with a file extension

1. program will not open- change file type associated with a file extension - Similar Threads - program open change

2. File Type Associations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Type Associations: HELP!... Is it possible to Associate ALL file types a specific program can open without having to do it one at a time? As example Corel Paintshop Pro. How can you associate all files it can handle with one click? Use to be able to do it from the program itself but that no...
  3. File type association

in Windows 10 Customization
    File type association: I accidentally assigned a .laz extension to be opened automatically with Adobe. When I try to go to the default settings to remove the association I only get the option of associating with another app. How can I remove this entirely or restore it back to were I get a prompt...
  4. Associate file extensions to a program

Associate file extensions to a program: I am trying to associate a jpg file to Adobe Photoshop in a Windows 10 process that appears to continually direct me to a Windows 10 default recommendation. I managed to find two columns showing an incredible number of extensions on the left and the apps or programs on the...
  5. Associating a file type with a default program

Associating a file type with a default program: How can I change the association for a file type to an alternative application already installed? Using "control panel/default programs/assciate a file type or protocol with a program" dialogue always ends up showing the current default app plus the option of finding an...
  6. Remove (not change) file extension association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove (not change) file extension association: I mistakenly associated a file extension with .pdf. I've found many instructions on how to change (swap) the file associate from one extension to the other, but how do you remove the association completely and return it to "Choose a default" ?? This user was very helpful...
  7. change file extension to open by another program

change file extension to open by another program: i have a weird issue that randomly .xls will opens default with excel citrix. after one-off manual change to open by excel using GUI, it will be fine. how do i change it for all computers? i tried using command ftype Excel.Sheet.8="C:\Program Files\Microsoft...
  8. Unable to associate extensions/file types with BAT scripts

Unable to associate extensions/file types with BAT scripts: Using the assoc and ftype commands, I was always been able to associate certain extensions/filetypes with certain Batch scripts. But, this didn't appear to be be working in Windows 10. The following commands (run in a Admin command prompt) work fine in Windows 8.1 but not...
  9. File type associations not launching the program in the list

File type associations not launching the program in the list: This problem has just started on several machines since 8/20/2016. On Windows 10 Pro computers, the program associated with a file type extension will not launch correctly anymore even though the correct program is listed as associated with that file type. I have seen two...
  10. File extension not in file association list

File extension not in file association list: Hello, I use Notepad++ to edit Python files which have the file extension .py such as "sample.py" I would like to set Notepad++ as the default program to open .py files. When I open a .py file I get the popup asking me which file I want to use to open. But I do not get...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change file type to no associated program