Windows 10: Program windows randomly minimize themselves

Discus and support Program windows randomly minimize themselves in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've had this issue for a while now, and I can't for the life of me trace where it's coming from. I've done a lot of searching on the issue. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by dondalinger, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Program windows randomly minimize themselves

I've had this issue for a while now, and I can't for the life of me trace where it's coming from.

I've done a lot of searching on the issue. This happens to random open programs at any time. For instance, I just rebooted my computer 5 mins ago, opened up mIRC, Discord, Steam, and Tweetdeck, all of which have their windows on my left screen. mIRC is always maximised, Discord and Tweetdeck display in smaller windows on top of that, and my Steam friends list also shows in a small window as well.

I went to take a sip of my coffee, and the Steam friends list just minimized itself for no apparent reason.

Sometimes it's the Tweetdeck window, sometimes it's Discord. I suspect it's wichever window was last "active" as in whichever app I lated click on but even if I click elsewhere on my desktop to take away focus from that window, they will still just randomly minimize.

This can also happen when I'm playing a game in full screen. I'll be happily playing away full screen, native resolution, mouse locked in to screen, when suddenly one of the windows on the second screen will just minimize themselves, causing my game to also kind of... alt-tab itself out of focus, dumping me back at the desktop.

I've looked in to many different things to try and resolve this, but none of the solutions I've found match anything I have.

For instance, a lot of solutions suggest disabling Tablet mode. I don't have that enabled. Others suggest disabling scaling. I don't have scaling enabled.

This only started happening a month or two ago, and I've updated my GPU driver several times since then, done totally clean installs of it etc., windows has updated itself, I've run a multitude of checks for malware, all of which are clean.

I've run sfc /scannow, and it's found no issues. I've run DISM, and it's found no corruption. There don't appear to be any events in the eventlog at the time when it occurs, so I'm completely lost as to how to even trace the cause of the issue.

Anyone come accross this in the past? Anyone got any suggesitions as to how I can figure out where it's coming from?

If it only ocurred while playing a game, I'd be happy to just say it's an issue with the game, or perhaps full screen display, but the fact it does it when just sitting at my desktop while there is no interaction with the computer at all is quite perplexing.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, all system drivers and software up to date.

:)

dondalinger, Feb 14, 2020

2. Windows 8.1, programs keep minimizing/iconifying themselves repeatedly when trying to open

My sister owns a HP Pavilion G6, which came with Windows 8. About four months ago it automatically upgraded her to 8.1 an since then she's had several problems.

I have fixed most of them, but one peculiar issue remains.

Whenever you open a program/window, it immediately minimizes itself to the task bar.
    If you try to click or key press to bring it back up, it again minimizes itself.

I have found two work arounds :

A) Leave the system idle for five minutes
    B) Hold either CTRL or ALT key, and then mouse click to bring the window back up

After step B, I hit ALTGRAVE key once, and then the windows behave normally for a time.

This happens immediately after boot and randomly during normal operation.

I've disabled a lot of the touch pad features and gestures, trying to limit any user input error or other miscellaneous potential sources of the problem.

newconroer, Feb 14, 2020
  3. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Feb 14, 2020
  4. Program windows randomly minimize themselves

Windows 10 Applications Randomly Minimizing.

Hi,

There are several factors that may have caused the games to crash when you are playing them on your PC. It is possible that the graphics card is outdated or there is a malware or virus that causes the game files to corrupt. To properly isolate your concern,
    please provide us the following information:

• Does the issue occur to all the games and apps installed on your computer?
    • Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far to resolve the issue?
    • Have you tried to update the graphics card drivers on your PC?

In the meantime, you may click on this link for the steps to perform
    a clean boot. This process will start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 10.

Loraine Mon, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

Program windows randomly minimize themselves

1. Program windows randomly minimize themselves - Similar Threads - Program randomly minimize

2. minimize a program on run

in Windows 10 Gaming
    minimize a program on run: I am trying to launch a music app on startup which uses the windows android emulator. I did the thing where you go into the startup folder and properties and set the run dropdown to minimized. That works, except it only works on the shortcut which launches music. Basically,...
  3. minimize a program on run

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    minimize a program on run: I am trying to launch a music app on startup which uses the windows android emulator. I did the thing where you go into the startup folder and properties and set the run dropdown to minimized. That works, except it only works on the shortcut which launches music. Basically,...
  4. Windows 10: Minimizing Programs Randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10: Minimizing Programs Randomly: I was playing Plague Tale: Innocent, and somehow the computer kept minimizing the game. I don't know what causes this issue, but right before that my keyboard keys did open some random programs I managed to eliminate this issue by pressing some key combination someone told...
  5. Programs uninstalling themselves?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Programs uninstalling themselves?: I think something is causing my computer to uninstall programs. I've done nothing to them, but well, I hopped onto my computer and found the following:The scrivener and scenarist programs - I used them just the other day, and now they cant find the file when i click it. I...
  6. Games randomly minimizing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Games randomly minimizing: Recently, over the past week, games randomly minimize to desktop. I added a custom resolution and think it may be causing issues somehow, even though it should only effect the games that use that resolution. I have gamemode turned off, and im not sure what to do. Any advice...
  7. Startup programs removing themselves?

Startup programs removing themselves?: My start up programs keep removing themselves from the startup list and I have no idea why. Its happened probably a dozen times now and they seem to remove themselves for no reason, Windows wasn't just updated. Does Windows 10 do any sort of automated purging? What might the...
  8. [Help] Minimized Programs randomly restore themselves with no input.

[Help] Minimized Programs randomly restore themselves with no input.: I've had this issue for a few weeks now... that ive noticed at least. Where i have some programs minimized and if im talking to someone in the room, not touching the computer, it will just randomly restore every minimized program. It also happens when im in the middle of...
  9. Games keeps minimizing by themselves

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Games keeps minimizing by themselves: Recently I keep having this annoying problem, that all games keep randomly minimizing themselves as if I pressed alt-tab and since some of them can't be minimized without freezing, it is very annoying. My best guess is that some notification keeps poping up for a fraction of...
  10. Minimize programs and restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Minimize programs and restore: Another problem I'm finding with 10 is as follows. With 7 it was easy to minimize an open program. It disappeared to Explorer and could be clicked on and restored. Under 10 you can minimize, but only the first one is recognized. If you minimized a second program it supplants...