Windows 10: Program won't refresh screen unless I right click on the task bar

Discus and support Program won't refresh screen unless I right click on the task bar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm running a small, industry specific program in Windows. It runs fine on a LOT of Windows 10 installs, but on the occasional Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by robster, Feb 8, 2016.

1. robster Win User

Program won't refresh screen unless I right click on the task bar

Hi all,

I'm running a small, industry specific program in Windows. It runs fine on a LOT of Windows 10 installs, but on the occasional Windows 10 machines I have the following happen.

- The program loads like normal.
    - The user is prompted to enter a PIN to enter the software.
    - The software just sits there, showing no input even though the user has entered their PIN.
    - If I right click on the taskbar, all of a sudden the PIN shows as entered.
    - The user then presses the login button and again, nothing happens.
    - If I right click on the taskbar, again, the software refreshes and the next screen is shown.

This goes on and on. The app will only refresh when the task bar has been right clicked.

Now interestingly out of the say 10 or so Windows 10 machines that we've had issues with, some of them can be fixed by running a Windows Update. Others can be fixed by running in compatibility mode. Some of them though, simply won't fix their behaviour.

Has anyone come across this kind of activity before where the screen of a program won't refresh until you right click the task bar? It's got us stumped. We can't find any error messages anywhere.

Thanks so much for your time.

Rob

:)

robster, Feb 8, 2016

2. Taskbar too large

Is your task bar taking up 1/3 of the screen and no matter where you click or drag it won't resize?

Ok here's the solution...

There is a bug with windows when it resizes for different applications here's why. Say the user opens a program that render in a lower screen resolution then windows is currently set to. Windows auto corrects and displays the largest resolution based upon
    the program's capabilities. Once the program is closed windows does not resize correctly leaving you with this really big task bar issue. TO FIX - First right click on task bar and ensure "lock the task bar" is NOT checked. Right click the task bar again
    and choose "Taskbar Settings" then make sure "Automatically Hide the Task Bar in Desktop mode" and "Automatically Hide the Task Bar in Tablet mode" is OFF. This will now turn your mouse into a double arrow cursor when you hover over the top of the task bar.
    Click and drag to resize.

Matthew J. DeGregory, Feb 8, 2016
  3. Dave Heq Win User
    Win10: Right-click close task bar program doesn't show Save/Cancel pop-up

Wow even Microsoft doesn't know their own software well enough.

Dave Heq, Feb 8, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

davidhk, Feb 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Program won't refresh screen unless I right click on the task bar - Similar Threads - Program won't refresh

2. task bar is blank unable to click on programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    task bar is blank unable to click on programs: Did a network reset in settings, I’ve done it before without an issue. The task bar is now blank and when I click on it the screen goes black for a bit than comes back on, also there is localservicenonetworkfirewall program running in task manager. Not sure what to do, I’ve...
  3. task bar is blank unable to click on programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    task bar is blank unable to click on programs: Did a network reset in settings, I’ve done it before without an issue. The task bar is now blank and when I click on it the screen goes black for a bit than comes back on, also there is localservicenonetworkfirewall program running in task manager. Not sure what to do, I’ve...
  4. Apps won't run unless I right click and "run as adminstrator"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Apps won't run unless I right click and "run as adminstrator": HiI've seen a few similar questions but thus far none of the solutions have worked so here goes.....Since say early December 2022 I have noticed that the 2 main program / apps I run that are based on my Win 10 PC now only run if I right click on them and then click "run as...
  5. Apps won't run unless I right click and "run as adminstrator"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps won't run unless I right click and "run as adminstrator": HiI've seen a few similar questions but thus far none of the solutions have worked so here goes.....Since say early December 2022 I have noticed that the 2 main program / apps I run that are based on my Win 10 PC now only run if I right click on them and then click "run as...
  6. Apps won't run unless I right click and "run as adminstrator"

7. I can’t right click on the task bar in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can’t right click on the task bar in Windows 11: I have an accessibility issue which makes it difficult for me to click without any mouse motion whatsoever. In Windows 11, you apparently need to hold the cursor 100% still while right clicking the task bar in order to get the right click menu to come up. As mentioned, I...
  8. I can’t right click on the task bar in Windows 11

I can’t right click on the task bar in Windows 11: I have an accessibility issue which makes it difficult for me to click without any mouse motion whatsoever. In Windows 11, you apparently need to hold the cursor 100% still while right clicking the task bar in order to get the right click menu to come up. As mentioned, I...
  9. Can't right click in task bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't right click in task bar: To start, I have:Windows 10 ProVersion: 20H2Build: 19042.1165Issue: I can't right click any icon in the task bar. Additionally, when I hover over an icon in the task bar the active windows show, but then they won't go away, even after I click on one of them to bring that...
  10. right click on volume icon on task bar not working right

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    right click on volume icon on task bar not working right: Hi - last few days, when i right click on volume, only the volume mixer is working, playback devices, sound, recording devices all don't work..when i tried to access device manager, getting message - Unable to create new document!! what is going on?? thanks for the help...